Thread: My Dad's Confession

Default My Dad's Confession

I took my dad shooting last Friday and he made a confession to me that was an interesting note and I thought I would pass it on.

When we moved to Alaska in 1978 he brought along his deer rifles(308 and 270) and soon was motivated to purchase a 44 Mag Ruger Single Action and 22 Mark ii.

He made a decision to disagree with the caliber choice and gun that everybody else suggested to him. He said that everybody gave him advice to purchase a Ruger Model 77 in 338 Win Mag with posthaste.

He said that he specifically avoided the 338 when he really thought it was a great caliber. He know believes that it probably is the ultimate Alaskan cartridge. However, he started with 300 mags, especially the 300 Win Mag and well he kept going down that street. He told us that the 338 kicked way worse than 300 Win Mag. He explained it kicked more than 375 H%H.
    Right up there with a 458 he would say.

What is interesting about this is that he purchased 8mm Remington Mag, 358 Win, 375 H&H, 444, 45/70 and glaringly avoided purchasing a 338 Win Mag.

He also loaded up over 200 250 Gr Barnes(now discontinued) original bullets in 300 Win Mag and we used a heck of a lot of them. About 20 remain. This is the closest thing to a 338 without being a 338 that I have ever heard of. 338 250 grain bullets probably have better ballistics.

One of his neighbors believes in nothing but the 338 caliber and has 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby, 338/378 Weatherby and lastly a 330 Dakota Mag. He almost exclusively hunts with the 338 caliber.
    My dad gets along with this guy but I thought that this was an interesting conversation point.

It is interesting how some people will continue to follow a path after they get started. Kind of like pouring money into a gun or a set up that they stubbornly continue with. Others will get rid of something at the first sign of trouble or as soon as they get all the problems ironed out.

I kind of think of Murphy on the last one. He might be kind of like an unsung saint. Fixing up outfits and finding good set ups only to sell them and look for some other problem or mystery.

Beartooth, you are like this too.

I was kind of wondering what you folks thought about this.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I took my dad shooting last Friday and he made a confession to me that was an interesting note and I thought I would pass it on.

When we moved to Alaska in 1978 he brought along his deer rifles(308 and 270) and soon was motivated to purchase a 44 Mag Ruger Single Action and 22 Mark ii.

He made a decision to disagree with the caliber choice and gun that everybody else suggested to him. He said that everybody gave him advice to purchase a Ruger Model 77 in 338 Win Mag with posthaste.

He said that he specifically avoided the 338 when he really thought it was a great caliber. He know believes that it probably is the ultimate Alaskan cartridge. However, he started with 300 mags, especially the 300 Win Mag and well he kept going down that street. He told us that the 338 kicked way worse than 300 Win Mag. He explained it kicked more than 375 H%H.
    Right up there with a 458 he would say.

What is interesting about this is that he purchased 8mm Remington Mag, 358 Win, 375 H&H, 444, 45/70 and glaringly avoided purchasing a 338 Win Mag.

He also loaded up over 200 250 Gr Barnes(now discontinued) original bullets in 300 Win Mag and we used a heck of a lot of them. About 20 remain. This is the closest thing to a 338 without being a 338 that I have ever heard of. 338 250 grain bullets probably have better ballistics.

One of his neighbors believes in nothing but the 338 caliber and has 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby, 338/378 Weatherby and lastly a 330 Dakota Mag. He almost exclusively hunts with the 338 caliber.
    My dad gets along with this guy but I thought that this was an interesting conversation point.

It is interesting how some people will continue to follow a path after they get started. Kind of like pouring money into a gun or a set up that they stubbornly continue with. Others will get rid of something at the first sign of trouble or as soon as they get all the problems ironed out.

I kind of think of Murphy on the last one. He might be kind of like an unsung saint. Fixing up outfits and finding good set ups only to sell them and look for some other problem or mystery.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    I've never wanted the One Perfect Gun. There are too many out there to try. I'm also not particularly interested in standard stuff in general. That's probably why I like old, obscure calibers including traditional muzzleloaders so much. My favorite small game round? 25-20. My favorite deer round? 7x57. My favorite medium caliber? 358 Winnie. My favorite light magnum? Probably a 270 Wby. My favorite medium mag? 358 Norma. My favorite over-40? No belt on it, but I'll take the 404 Jeffrey. My favorite muzzleloader caliber? 58. My favorite handgun caliber? 38 Special. My favorite magnum handgun caliber? 44. Doesn't mean I own all of them right now, but those have appealed to me most over the years. Yup a 338 would do most of those jobs, but you aint going to get me to dump all my guns and settle for one.

If everyone is driving a Ford, darned if I won't be proud to drive a Toyota.

Mark

I use a 300 WinMag for my open country hunting (I use 200 grain bullets exclusively), and a 338 WinMag (20" barrel, Scout Scope, now with 225 grain bullets, but I still like the 250 grain, and tried 275 grain) for forested hunting. I love both.

For me, it's the right tool for the job. Nothing more, nothing less.

Recoil is something to ignore.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I totally “get” your fathers perspective. In fact I nearly had the exact same situation when I first moved to Alaska. At the time I was working in a shop with around 20 other guys, most of who were into hunting and shooting. I mentioned one day in the break room that I was in need of a good Alaska rifle as all I had was a few hand guns, and that if anyone had a used one with a wood stock and blued barrel that they wanted to sell, that I would like to know. One of the fellows spoke up and said he had a decent Remington 700 BDL with a cheap scope, blued, with nice wood and chambered in 30-06 he would part with it for $300. I was almost immediately informed by the masses of nay sayers that a 30-06 was woefully inadequate for any Alaskan animal, not enough range for caribou, to heavy for sheep, likely to wound moose, sure to get me eaten by a bear, and would no doubt be horribly inaccurate when the wood stock warped like a banana. Furthermore the blued barrel and action where sure to rust beyond recognition on the very first outing.
    Fine I say, so what is it that you “Alaska Experts” suggest for a rifle? In near perfect unison, and with nearly 100% agreement, they informed me that THE “Alaska Rifle” is a stainless steel, composite stocked, controlled round feed 338 Winchester Magnum…………………Winchester model 70 was the first choice, with Ruger being the second. Naturally I thanked them for their advice, said I would give it some thought, and then handed my new friend $300.

To this day I do not own, nor will I ever own any rifle chambered in 338 Winchester Magnum, any rifle that has a stainless steel action or barrel, or any rifle that sports a composite stock. Now before you go thinking that I am a total psychopath for letting one conversation shape half a life time worth of firearm ownership, let me tell you that I had already established a serious disdain for stainless and composite rifles based solely on aesthetics. But all they had to do was add THE cartridge for my nasty little inner child to lock the door on that one forever, and decide right then and there, that forever more I would hunt with blued rifles, stocked in nice wood, and chambered in any cartridge other than 338 Winchester Magnum.

I know, I know, I am an ass…………… But that old 30-06 still knocks em dead and still looks just as nice as the day I got it.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I detest the .338 WINCHESTER. For the same reason your dad does. It is brutal for recoil. I will shoot a .375 H&H 60 shots for one shoot from a .338. I just don't like the recoil. More power to the guys that like them, I'm not one of them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Good stories guys. I have a 338 Win Mag that everyone told me would kick the heck out of me way more than a 300, but also that a 30-06 wasn't enough gun for alaska. I just happened into a deal and got a nice rifle for cheap, and I really dig the cartridge. For some reason it doesn't really recoil enough to cause me concern. My 7mm Rem Mag is wilder than the 338... isn't that funny?

Oh and I've heard the 250 gr bullets would kick worse too, but they didn't in my case...??? I like the 250 gr Nosler Partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post

Sincerely,

Thomas
    I can't speak for Murphy or others but your assessment of me is pretty much on. I have truly had a wonderful ride in life with all the rifles, hunts and trying wildcats and pushing the limits.

Because of all that I have allowed myself to be introduced to and partake of I have come full circle in my hunting and shooting career. It's fun to get the fastest and most powerful, but sometimes it's nice to re-live the simplicity of the past when a 30-06 was all you needed because it was the best and to some it still is the best go to cartridge made today.

As I thought back about that bear hunt with my 30-06 I also thought of all the deer, hogs, coyote I have slain with that grand old cartridge and was amazed that the deer and hogs dropped over with barely a twitch. Now don't get me wrong, I would not be caught dead in some woods now without my 300Wby or 375Wby. On the same hand I do not remember shooting anything with my 06's that did not die real quick and more died right on the spot with a few taking only a few steps. Come to think of it, the 30-06 still is a fine and respectable cartridge!!

I have owned a Ruger MK II 338 and gave it to my friend who lives about 30 minutes from me and goes on hunts with me. I like it but not as much as a 375.

Back to your point. I think it is so much fun to try things, work out problems and make things work. It gives you a better idea of what really does in the long haul work more consistently across the board. I hope I will always have the energy to pursue the exciting world of rifles, cartridges and hunting till the day I die. Anything else would be boring, just plain boring.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My first rifle that I got when I was 15 was a 338 win mag. I think that anyone that can handle a 300 can easily handle a 338.

That being said I now own a 30-06 (I was looking for a 308 win but found 30-06 at a deal I could not pass up).

I think a good bullet in the right spot is the most lethal combination.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile It is true.....

If I am in Alaska give me the .338 Win. Mag. I read so much Elmer Kieth when I was a kid that I was "brain washed". Is it all that works, heck no. It is the only thing that works for me though. Anyway, your story makes sense to me.

Dont know about BIG bears but we can shoot 30-378 weatherby getting close to 4000 fps --I believe 180 gr. but for long range and accuracy
    load them back mid 3000 will take a BIG Elk off his feet at 300 yds
    We have a 500 yd target-- WOW --I did kill a 500lb black bear with my .270
    Definity not enough gun.
    Anyone use a 30-378 for Browns?
    Thanks