Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Accubond

Default Nosler Accubond

Anyone have much experience taking Caribou with the Nosler Accubond? I am considering working up some loads with my .280 remington.

Any advice on loads would be great as well. I have a bunch of IMR 4350 laying around that I'd like to use up first.

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    Anyone have much experience taking Caribou with the Nosler Accubond? I am considering working up some loads with my .280 remington.

Any advice on loads would be great as well. I have a bunch of IMR 4350 laying around that I'd like to use up first.
    For bou I'd be happy with either the 160 or 140, whichever shot best in your gun and gave you warm toasties. Haven't shot any of the Accubond in my 280, but both those weights are excellent with near max charges of 4831. You'll likely get a tiny bit less velocity with 4350 (like, less than 50 fps), but that couldn't be an issue on a hunt.

Whether it has any relevance in your rifle with Accubonds, but my 280 shoots 160 grain partitions as well or better than any other bullet. Whacked an elk with it a few years back, and you couldn't have killed him faster with a howitzer.

Not familiar with the .280, but I have used 225gr Accubond in .338 to take Moose. Works well. Last one was at 785 yards, one shot took out both lungs. Moose took three steps and went down. Bullet was well mushroomed, and was found against far side shoulder blade.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Not familiar with the .280, but I have used 225gr Accubond in .338 to take Moose. Works well. Last one was at 785 yards, one shot took out both lungs. Moose took three steps and went down. Bullet was well mushroomed, and was found against far side shoulder blade.
    I'm curious what the hold over is on that round for that distance? It obviously still carried plenty of energy to get that much pennetration as well. That is a heck of a shot! I am quite confident that I couldn't see the moose much less count brow tines at that distance

I shot a 300+ pound whitetail in Kansas last year using 180gr accubond in my 300 weatherby. Deer didn't take a step

Default 7mm Nos AB

My son has taken multiple sheep (about 1/2 doz), and griz with his 7mm Dakota usually using 160 gr NP. 2 years ago I worked up some loads with the 160 AB which proved deadly - most recent sheep was one shot kill at 405 yds. For 'bou I can't imagine you would have a problem if they are accurate in your rifle.

Default 160 gr Accubonds

I use 160gr Accubonds in my 7mm WSM and in a 7mm-08 with excellent results. Very accurate and consistant. In fact, the 160s shoot more accurately than the 140 Accubonds in those rifles.

LuJon: No hold over, I dial the scope. Plus it was a cow.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I use 160 Accubond in my 7 mag. Very accurate and effective, caribou, moose and elk. Good luck. J.

My .325 wsm shoots 200gr AB's sub moa. I've killed a sheep at 400yds. Pass through, broke shoulder. Bull moose at 315, broke spine, recovered a nice little mushroom under the hide. Weighed 160gr. Retained 70% of it's original weight like nosler claims.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 140 gr accubond in a 280

I like the accubonds because they shoot well in my .280. I used RL 19 with the 140 gr accubond and it proved to be very accurate in my Ruger. I took a 4X4 mulie in Wyoming at 326 yards with it. He took 4 steps after the shot and the bullet broke 3 ribs, blew out both lungs before exiting the offside. This is my go to bullet for deer and antelope. I hope this helps,

IMO the accubond is a good bullet. Seen a critter or two go down to the 30 cal variety at 280 speeds and worked well. When I had my .280, RL19 made the 140 AB's sing dixie. IMR/H4350 wasnt bad either, just less velocity. I never tried the 160's. Man I need to get another .280

Default Nosler Accu Bond 160 7mm Wsm

hey CHAPS, I have a 7mm wsm also, shoots 140 nosler accubond very well 1/2 or better but i would like to try 160, what is your load data? Thanks

Default Load specifics

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    IMO the accubond is a good bullet. Seen a critter or two go down to the 30 cal variety at 280 speeds and worked well. When I had my .280, RL19 made the 140 AB's sing dixie. IMR/H4350 wasnt bad either, just less velocity. I never tried the 160's. Man I need to get another .280

Tom,

Do you still have your data on the specifics for that load with RL19? Grains of powder, COL, ect? I will have to chrono a few of those loads against the loads with the 4350 and see if it is worth buying some more RL19, as I only have a little bit left.

I shoot 180 grain Accubonds out of a 300 Win. They have worked great for me on mule deer & elk. The caribou I shot last year with them didn't know what hit him, dropped like a rock. Shot in the shoulder and exited behind the far shoulder, 180 yards.

I loaded up some 140 grain ABs pushed by 58.5 grains of IMR 4350. Shot out of a Remington Alaskan TI in 270 WSM, this is the wifes rifle and she shot her first black bear with it this spring. It hit him in the ribs and broke his away leg and exited out of the arm pit. He made one last leap and that was it. I will be using this same rifle and round for sheep if I get to go.

Steve

"Do you still have your data on the specifics for that load with RL19? Grains of powder, COL, ect? I will have to chrono a few of those loads against the loads with the 4350 and see if it is worth buying some more RL19, as I only have a little bit left."

I dont have the exact data, I was stupid and gave it away with the gun when I sold it. Working from memory here, I believe it was 56.5 of RL19 for 2900fps, and 52.5 of H4350 or IMR4350 for 2800 fps. This was out of a 22" barrel Rem Mountain Rifle. It was no velocity champion but shot well. This rifle had a bit of a short throat, so bullets need to be seated deep, dont recall exact #s. Everyone w/ a 280 who has tried RL19 that I have talked to says its like peanut butter and jelly with 140 grain bullets. I agree. Good luck!

Default 7mm WSM 160 gr AB data

Quote Originally Posted by JFULLER View Post
    hey CHAPS, I have a 7mm wsm also, shoots 140 nosler accubond very well 1/2 or better but i would like to try 160, what is your load data? Thanks

I sent you a PM with data. Make sure to do a load workup approaching this data!
    Have a great day!

No .280 but I have used 140 grn accubonds in .270 at 2950fps which is close. Very accurate and deadly on 200lb + mulies so caribou willl be no problem.

Good luck

Default 180 grain Accubond in .333 Win

Anyone have experience with the 180 grain Accubond in .333 Win?

Iím thinking of using this load on a future sheep hunt.

Thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast