Thread: inflatables

Default inflatables

Anybody have any experience with the stearn or sevylor inflatable canoes. I'd like to get an inflatable that I can pack into some of these off the road lakes. I would like an aire or a soar eventually but the price is a little scary.

Default Cheaper Inflatables

Chuck,

I'm a big fan of the "buy once" philosophy, but over the years have owned cheaper gear that got me by until I had enough money to buy something better.

I had a good friend who used Sevylor canoes for floating Willow Creek and such, and he seemed to have good luck with them. They're not a top end boat by any means (in fact, you'll hear people refer to them as a pool toy), but a higher end Sevylor might work, depending on what you have in mind.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile Its all relative

I have a couple of the $250.00 canoe/ kayaks, and I use them to walk back into a couple of lakes in the Kenai Wildlife refuge that don't have designated trails, and would make it most impossible to get a hard shell into. They work great for that purpose for fishing, and putting a little overnight camping gear in with you.. I have had one about 4 or 5 years now, and have put one patch on it. basically I used the PVC tape is all for the repair..
    I have never used them on rivers or sharp rocks, and don't intend on it. just lakes. They are stable and paddle easily and at my age,, the lighter the pack the more I like it...
    That is why I got these little inflatables.
    I have considered replacing them when the OZONE finally gets them, for the Alpacka Boat. They have one that looks like the cats meow for my hidden lake trips...... and at under 10 lbs,, can you go wrong???
    Max

Default Stearns canoe

I have one of these stearns two man kayak/canoe deals. It is pretty heavy to pack, I'm sure theres got to be a lighter better boat for a little more money out there. It will deflate somewhat when you put it in cold water and you have to sit on the floor which gets uncomfortable after you start getting wet from water running down the paddle. other than that it is what I expected it to be.
    William

Default Drip Rings

Quote Originally Posted by nielsenwa
    ... you start getting wet from water running down the paddle...
    William
    William,

You might try using drip rings on your paddles. They're specifically designed to keep water from running down the shaft and down your arms.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks I'll give them a try. Can't beat the price for the comfort of being dry!

Default Low Priced Inflatable

I BOUGHT A STEARNS INFLATABLE KAYAK 2 YEARS AGO TO USE ON A 36 MILE FLOAT DOWN THE KELLY RIVER (LOWER NOATAK TRIBUTARY). I WAS QUITE SKEPTICAL AT FIRST. BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT, THIS THING WAS TOUGH. IT WAS DRUG THROUGH ROCKY SHALLOWS AND BOUNCED OFF ROCKS FOR 7 DAYS. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I WEIGH 320 LB SO YOU CAN APPRECIATE THIS TO BE A TRUE TORTURE TEST FOR SUCH A BOAT. IT WORKED GREAT. IT ALSO COMES WITH A REPAIR KIT AND STORAGE BAG. I RECENTLY SAW THEM AT WWW.WALMART.COM FOR LIKE $169. I HAD GOT MINE AT CABELAS FOR AROUND $200-$250. I FORGET THE MODEL NUMBER, BUT IT IS THE ONE MAN KAYAK AND IS YELLOW. THROW IN A CHEAP KAYAK PADDLE AND A PUMP AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. TOUGH TO BEAT FOR THE PRICE.

Default used canoe

A freind and I are planning for a float hunt in September and bought our canoes used. We both bought SOAR S16 and are happy as can be with them. I payed $400 he payed $600. If you look around a little you should be able to find one for around the same price. When we were looking for ours we saw quite a few listed for sale in Alaska. Check the rafting web-sites around for their used gear pages. Good luck.

Default info

Hey thanks for all the input guys

Default pak canoe or inflatable

Does anyone have experence with the Aire Traveller inflatable canoe? How do they handle when paddled solo in flat water and ww up to class III. How about the Ally pak or Pak canoes? How tough are they and can you paddle them solo?

Mark

Default aire traveler

I own two of them and they have worked very well. I usually have had two people and several days worth of fishing and camping gear in them. I have never paddled mine though. I use oars and a rowing frame. I am just alot more comfortable with oars. When I used to own an ocean boat I used it as a dingy with a 2hp outboard. Once I had 6 adults, fishing gear,and a 2hp motor. It held that weight just fine (although I would never do that in a river). I bought mine at alaska raft and kayak. I had very good service there and would recomend them.

Default Allys are incredible...

I sent you a pm Berger. Ally pack canoes are amazing. Best money I have ever spent. Made in Norway, only importer into the US is Cascade Crags in Washington state. They are the original pack canoe. Used the world over for a long time. 47 lbs, 16.5 ft long, fit in a large backpack, can carry 900 lbs, assemble in 30 minutes, and checked as regular luggage at the airport. What more could you want. These things were made for Alaska bush trips.

Cool Choices!

You get what you pay for.

Sterns and Sevor are toys that will not stand up to the rigors of anything but the most calm and quite waters. I cannot stress enough the dangers of taking these back yard pool toys out onto Alaska’s waters!

I took 2 friends on a 6-day trip into the Brooks Range and did not look at their equipment until the day before the trip. You guessed it, Sevor! There was no way to convince these folks that they were putting themselves and me in danger, hell I offered to give them one of my rafts free of charge from my fleet. Well with out going into a 2,000 word rant it was a trip from hell and never again will I put myself in that position. The moral of this story is just what Strahan said, “buy once” for the long haul and always remember that your life may depend upon your choice to save a few bucks.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Default Strongly Agree!

I strongly agree with Mr Strahan! We have all been there......... COST vs ?
    I believe what you spend today, determines the performance you get tomorrow! Your welfare may depend on it! Good Luck!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

slow reflection, do you have the rowing frame that is recomended for your traveler or something different? Have you rowed while someone is fishing standing in front, just wondering about the stability?

Default Ally and Pakboat

This is to respond to Berger's question about the folding canoe models by Ally and Pakboat. I've used both of these boats on month-long solo trips on a number of Alaska rivers and I recommend them highly. You just rig the seat towards the center and trim your load depending on whether you want to favor tracking on flat water or maneuverability on more technical runs and they're great. They flex some in wave trains - a little unsettling at first if you're used to hard-shell boats - but it's actually an advantage as they don't burrow the bow and as a result, they take on less water. You can (and this is heresy in some quarters) paddle them with a kayak paddle, making it easier to correct course in windy conditions. You just have to hit your lines - as you can imagine, they won't stand for a lot of hammering off rocks.

I and my two hunting partners have used Sevylor Fish Hunter HF-360 for seven years now. No problems, but I do use the cadura nylon boot ($100.00 option) to protect the boat from the gravel and sweepers. I have used it in the Brooks, and lots of other streams down in the Alaska Range. The boots take a beating and we had to replace them last year, but so far no holes in the boats. When we get flowen in these boats are a lot lighter than others, like 48 lbs. and that means more meat can be flown out with the boat.

The way we do it is we place out gear in the bottom of the boat, and sit on the front with our feet hanging over the front, leaning back on the gear bags. This feels like sitting in a recliner. I use a kayak paddle to stay off sweepers, and stay in the faster water.

Once we knock down a Moose, Caribou, or bear, we cut willow branches and lay them across the boat from the middle to the back. We lay the meat on these poles so there is air flow under and around the meat. One boat can haul all the meat from one Moose. Load limit is like 1100 lbs. I also have the floor and outboard mount for mine, and use it to take the wife and child out to places like Fielding Lake, Paxson Lake, or to some of the less accessiable lakes by hauling it in with the 4-wheeler. These are expensive, but well worth it to make the wife feel comfortable. I use a 3hp Gamefisher outboard.

Here is the web site so you can look them up your self. http://www.sevylor.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=78930 Some people consider them pool toys, well I for one use them all the time due to their light weight, and ease of handling, plus I can afford to replace them with no more than I have in them. But why they work fine for me and my friends. But we do stay out of class IV water. We look for nice gentle streams, we're old men and like to take it easy.

If you have any more questions PM me. Rog
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"