Thread: opinions on ammo selection for 375 H&H

Default opinions on ammo selection for 375 H&H

I shoot a Browning A-Bolt 375 H&H Magnum in synthetic/stainless with a muzzle break and trigger work done(including this info not knowing if it will effect the answer)also just put a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 on yesterday.
    Have shot the gun since purchasing it new in 93'.
    All I have ever shot through this rifle is Remmington 270 grain because they were somewhat inexpensive.I use this rifle soley for my hunting and have taken a few moose and caribou with it and only shot the rifle before each season to make sure it's still "on".
    Got the trigger work and muzzle break done this spring and am able to comfortably sit and shoot a box through it now without getting beat up and would like to get as proficient as possible with my grouping and as I dont reload would like some opinions on a really good performing ammo to help bring my grouping in as close as possible.
    Would also like to use this ammo choice for my flyout hunt this September.Going out 130 miles west of Bettles and will have possible opportunity of taking caribou,black bear,grizzly,wolf and mabey even a moose if it was big enough to justify an extra flight out.
    Always been a just shoot it,dont need to know about it kinda guy. now I'd like to learn about my ammo choices and dont know where to start.....HELP

How does your current Remington 270 grain SP shoot now? You may have already found the answer. Among the bear guides I count as friends, shooting and hunting with them in their private time, to a man they all prefer and rely on that exact same loading when they're "at work." If it shoots well in your gun, I can't think of single reason to change. If doesn't shoot well, then let the search proceed. Bottom line, I don't think there's a single 375 factory load that will let you down on the hunts you describe, in spite of all the hype for premium bullets these days. In my experience with the 375, they're a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Wow, wasnt expecting that answer! I dont know any better about the subject than the other occasional shooter.
    When I got the machine work done on my gun this spring I went down to the range and shot off the bench and at 150 yards was putting a group in with 5 shots about the size of a softball (no lead sled, resting off the bench).
    I posted here about how much tighter of a group I should be shooting and got alot of feed back about using wrong ammo and such. I felt the group wasnt too awful bad but got schooled from others on here pretty quick.
    So to answer your question, shooting the rem 270 grain I was grouping 5 shots bout softball size at 150 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Wow, wasnt expecting that answer! I dont know any better about the subject than the other occasional shooter.
    When I got the machine work done on my gun this spring I went down to the range and shot off the bench and at 150 yards was putting a group in with 5 shots about the size of a softball (no lead sled, resting off the bench).
    I posted here about how much tighter of a group I should be shooting and got alot of feed back about using wrong ammo and such. I felt the group wasnt too awful bad but got schooled from others on here pretty quick.
    So to answer your question, shooting the rem 270 grain I was grouping 5 shots bout softball size at 150 yards.
    If that translates into a group of around 2" at 100 yards, that's plenty good enough for me. If smaller groups will give you more confidence, then by all means shoot some other brands and weights to see what your gun especially likes. But after shooting a 3 shot group on the bench, use the rest of each box to practice shooting from field positions. That will make much more difference on your hunts than an inch change in group size.

Get to know that fine rifle, and it will serve you well! Good shooting from field positions can be improved on only if you are willing to lug a benchrest into the hills on your hunts.

Good advice Brownbear and thanks. Cant wait to get back home from this next hitch I leave tomorrow for and shoot the he-- outta the gun at the range.Thanks
    Anybody have a reccomendation if the remington 270gr's could be improved to another brand or size for the variety of game I hope to bag on my next hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Good advice Brownbear and thanks. Cant wait to get back home from this next hitch I leave tomorrow for and shoot the he-- outta the gun at the range.Thanks
    Anybody have a reccomendation if the remington 270gr's could be improved to another brand or size for the variety of game I hope to bag on my next hunt?
    I shoot a winchester model 70 cut and crowned right at 20". For factory loads it likes the remington 300 grain swift A frames (1.5" @ 100 yards). I have just started reloading and worked up a load with some 270 grain Barnes TSX's that shoot very well (1" @ 100 yards). The gun shoots better than me I am sure and does not seem to care the flavor of the bullet either. I am no expert, but I do not think a moose, caribou, or bear will mind what you are using. All this coming from a guy looking for MOB...minute of bear. Good luck on your hunt.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I never shot a factory load in a .375 H&H. Ammo I load is what I count on. The 270 grain and the 300 grain Woodleighs is all I load. It has worked for me for a long time and if I cared about how it grouped I would have to find people to hold up the dead animal so I could shoot a group. Dead is dead, No such thing as deader. Make all your shots anchor shots and don't worry about groups. Practice standing on your hind legs. If you can hit a pie plate at a hundred and fifty yards your good to go. Heck if you can hit a paper plate at any distance out to 100 yards, your good to go (off hand).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I like the way you guys think!