Thread: Frame weights

Default Frame weights

I'm doing a side by side comparison of pack frame weights, does anyone know the weight of a Barney's frame w/suspension? Any others out there will be great too.

I should pick up my pack next week. I will try and get a scale down to the shop to check it out w/ and w/o the bag

While your down there, ask them when they will have their website backup and running, it's been a while. Thanks.

Not sure of the exact weight of a Barney's frame but I'll tell you one thing- they're the strongest hunting frames on planet earth. I assemble lots of them for Bob(he's my uncle) every year, but that's not why I'm boasting about them. Compare them to any other pack and you'll see that the design is far superior. I've had one for a few years and have taken it all over the place. THEY ARE PLENTY LIGHT. Remember, its better to have a slightly heavier pack that lasts a lifetime than a ultralight one that gives out on you when you're way out in the boonies. Just my two cents

Thanks for the info but I wasn't asking about the quality or how strong they are, I am just looking at weights. So do you have a weight on them or no?

Quote Originally Posted by AKTrailblazer View Post
    Not sure of the exact weight of a Barney's frame but I'll tell you one thing- they're the strongest hunting frames on planet earth. I assemble lots of them for Bob(he's my uncle) every year, but that's not why I'm boasting about them. Compare them to any other pack and you'll see that the design is far superior. I've had one for a few years and have taken it all over the place. THEY ARE PLENTY LIGHT. Remember, its better to have a slightly heavier pack that lasts a lifetime than a ultralight one that gives out on you when you're way out in the boonies. Just my two cents
    Can you do me a favor? If the new kevlar pinnacle bags are in can you set up a frame and mount the bag up for me? I know they are planning on getting a bunch set up before they start calling locals and shipping buuutttt I am trying to go on a 4 day scouting trip over 4th july and it sure would be nice to have my new pack!! By bribery funds are pretty slim but there may be an extra 10 spot somewhere in the back of my wallet (10 buck aint much but heck it's 10 extra bucks for work ya was gonna do anyways...) Thanks I'll keep an eye on my PM box Oh I am 6'5" so set er up on the tall side if it aint too much trouble

I seem to remember Bob telling me it was 9 lbs with the kevlar pinnacle bag. Whenever mine gets here I'll put it on the scale and let you know if you don't have it by then.

The last two years I was using a Cabela's outfitter pack that weighed 12.8 lbs with the bag, shelf, top bar, etc.

Just looking for the weights of the frame without the bags, if you could do that, thanks!

I got my Cabelas Alaskan Extreme Outfitter frame and pack in the mail today. Frame weight was right about 4 pounds 12 or 13 ounces with the upper bar attached.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Oh I am 6'5" so set er up on the tall side if it aint too much trouble
    Sorry Lujon, I just help assemble the frames during busy times of the year and don't have any say in their disturbution. I hope your pack works great when you get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I got my Cabelas Alaskan Extreme Outfitter frame and pack in the mail today. Frame weight was right about 4 pounds 12 or 13 ounces with the upper bar attached.
    Thats about right online with the catalog, thanks for sharing Kay9cop!

After I put it together and added the pack I figured I should have weighed it without the upper bar because I don't think anyone uses it any way, but it doesn't weigh much.

I've owned and used for hunting a Barney's Freighter frame and the older style Cabelas Outfitter frame. Hands down, I preferred the Barney's frame because it weighed less and seemed to be built better. This new style though is a much closer race because it weighs less, seems to be built with stiffer aluminum than the older style, and I got my pack and frame for about the price of Barney's frame alone.

I'm going to be carrying some weight in it on a weekend trip in the next couple of weeks and will post a review. My only criticism so far is for the pack because it doesn't have a zipper at the bottom for the sleeping bag, which forces loaded of all gear from the top of the pack.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If you've got the Extreme Alaska Outfitter model make sure you put some threadlock on that little screw at the top of the center bar in the middle of the pack. Mine fell out and I lost the screw so I put some better hardware on it.

Barneys Carnivore Frame 4lbs 9.5oz
    Add the new pinnacle pack and it brings the whole package to 8lbs 14oz

Also the new fabric seems much tougher than the old black and white bags but I didn't put them directly side by side.

Another note the top bar is 4.1oz. so if you want to get the frame under 4.5lbs then just drop it and your there!