Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish Swapping (big fish for little) by processors

Default Fish Swapping (big fish for little) by processors

I was wondering if anybody had the problem of getting much smaller fish than they actually caught.

We went fishing in Sitka and found the fish in our box appeared to be much smaller than the one that we caught. In fact, our halibut had more tail fillets than fish we caught. This would mean that our big halibut was substitued for smaller fish.

I guess a word to the wise would not to have your fish processed by a company that sells fish to the public as well.

Did you complain to the processor?
    I sure would.

Default Complain, yeah, we did

The guy told us to *($&*(#&*()#.

I really would've thought they would've looked at the facts and made it right. It's pretty hard to argue with the fact you have more tail fillets than fish you caught.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-26-2008 at 11:03. Reason: Language

Get in touch with the Better Business Bureau, and please let us know what the name of the business is so others don't get ripped off by these theives!!!
    Maybe talk with local law enforcement and fisheries to see if there is any recourse.

Default Relations

In fact, you'd think they'd want a group of guys who spent in excess of $12,000 on the trip to be happy.

My hats were off to our independent charter Captain. He worked his ass off and got us on the fish.

If I come back I'll make sure I use an independent fish processor as well.

Wierd, I've always paid by the pound, and weigh it when I take it in to be frozen/packaged. Tough break, I wouldn't have accepted no as an answer if it was obvious the whole fish wasn't there.

Default By the Pound

Well, in Sitka, the fish goes straight to the processor and they deliver it to you at the airport sealed before your flight. No chance to see what's in there. However, I was pretty surprised at the weight of the box when I checked in.

We brought up the weight issue with the processor and they blasted our Charter Captain saying they "Lie" about the weight of the fish so they look good. The problem being, we had money on the biggest fish of the day and brought our own scale.

It's really too bad. We had a blast there. Sitka is absolutely beautiful. It's just a bitter pill to swallow when someone in your group catches the biggest halibut/salman they've ever caught and your fillets don't seem to quantify that.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. I hope if this has happened to anybody else they post a reply.

Oh, if you list the name of the offending party, they will delete your post. Especially on this forum.

If you have the documentation to prove that they stole the fish, you have recourse with fish & game. Theft of wildlife parts is taken seriously, and sale of sport caught fish by the processor could land the guy in jail. You have to be able to prove it though.

Default Fish and Game

That's a great idea.

Yeah, we all took photos of the fish we caught.

We are obviously short big fish fillets and have way too many tail sections.

Easiest to spot is on the Hali. We have many more tail fillets than fish we caught. This would leave us to believe they made a mistake.

Funny thing is, we tried to work it out but got screamed at on the phone and the he hung up on us. The best advertising you can get for this stuff is word of mouth and they ruined it.

I like the line the guy used that our Charter Captain lied about our fish size so he looks better. However, we brought our own scale as we had money on the biggest fish of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesalmon View Post
    That's a great idea.

Yeah, we all took photos of the fish we caught.

We are obviously short big fish fillets and have way too many tail sections.

Easiest to spot is on the Hali. We have many more tail fillets than fish we caught. This would leave us to believe they made a mistake.

Funny thing is, we tried to work it out but got screamed at on the phone and the he hung up on us. The best advertising you can get for this stuff is word of mouth and they ruined it.

I like the line the guy used that our Charter Captain lied about our fish size so he looks better. However, we brought our own scale as we had money on the biggest fish of the day.
    Tell the charter captain what was said about him lying and I'll bet the captain will direct his clients elsewhere for processing in the future, assuming there is an option in town.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Tell the charter captain what was said about him lying and I'll bet the captain will direct his clients elsewhere for processing in the future, assuming there is an option in town.
    I agree. If there is any recourse you should take, atleast do this.

Default More Fraud!

Turns out we had caught some "white" salmon. The salmon with the clear colored flesh. Guess what, no white salmon in our fillets.

I would be talking to F&G about this.

Default F&G

I did, doesn't sound like they can do much without a smoking gun.

It doesn't sound like our Charter Captain wants to work with us on this. We are only one group and he deals with these guys all the time.

I'm surprised I've not get any more hits on this with other people telling the same story.

However, I've one more contact at the F&G to check. Maybe they'll run an undercover operation to nail these guys.

Default Same Thing Happened to Me

Yeah, me and some buddies from Houston did a trip to Sitka earlier this summer. One of my buddies landed a 47 pound king, we had 3 in the 30s, and the rest were 20s. We also got a single 200 pound halibut. Total take was 7 salmon and 1 halibut. We had 65 salmon tail pieces and 19 halibut tail pieces. It was obvious they gave us the scraps off of the floor.

My buddy Hal called some clown named John at {name of business}. The guy basically threatened to fly to Houston and put Hal in wheel chair. He said he was just lucky to get any fish back. I couldn't believe this. We dropped over $15K in Sitka on this trip. I told one of my other buddies who has been to Alaska many times and he said Sitka is notorious for ripping off fisherman. Apparently this {name} outfit pays off the skippers, keeps the choice fish, and then sells them to their retail customers.

I did some research and found several complaints on the Better Business Bureau. We are working with an attorney in Juneau to do class action lawsuit. Let me know if you wnat to join.

For the record, Canada never steals fish.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 07-14-2008 at 15:13. Reason: Removed name of busines

Default Been shafted once by

{Name of processor removed} with halibut. They told us it was 'water loss'. Yeah to some degree maybe, but water loss doesn't shrink the fillets 50%. You supposedly get your own moose back too, not sure on that any more either.

If in Homer use Coal Point. They put your fish in a bin, tag the bin, tag your reciept. The two meet up in the end and goes in your cooler. Use them every trip and have never got the wrong meat back. Always glance over to check size of the fillet chunks. Since I fillet and skin them I know that they look like and we weigh some of the fish too.

What kind of charters are you going that you are spending $12-15,000 on? Is it a 100' boat that you stay on as well? I would try to do what you guys are doing. Getting the responses you are getting back though, not sure what I would do there. Bad mouthing won't do enough to really hurt them, but a start. This here is a good start.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 07-14-2008 at 15:14. Reason: business name removed per FAQ

Default Longliners!

Well, I can tell you the longliners are interested in this. They'd love to nail the processors on taking sport caught fish and selling it commercially.

Man that really low to steal a mans fish! I would have been pissed too!

We took our filleted fish in to get it vacuum packed in Kenia once. While we were there we overheard someone complain that they weren't getting thier fish back. I don't recall all the details but it came out that they don't tag your fish rather weigh it and based on a % of loss from filleting they give you that % in meat back. Something about it would take too much time and effort for them to keep track of each individuals fish. I could be wrong in saying this but I'd bout bet that its more common practice for those outfits to operate that way than people realize.

Needless to say we filleted our own fish and vacuum packed it in our bags and then had them freeze it so we knew we got ours back.

On another note, not defending anyone hear, but do you realize that on halibut you will end up with 4 tail pieces per fish? The fish is filleted in quarters so it may appear that you have way too many tail pieces and they will be smaller as they were cut into quarters. Just a thought.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-09-2008 at 21:00. Reason: addition

Default Hali Tails

Yeah, we took that into consideration.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast