Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Default What am I doing wrong?

I have been trolling for the last few days out near my house and have not had any luck. I can literally see the salmon jumping around within 30ft of my boat and no bites. I'm trolling at around 2kts. I have used herring and lures on separate occasions. I have tried on the surface and 10-15ft below. Are they really this hard to catch or am I retarded?

How far back are you running your lines?
    What species of salmon are they?
    When fish are that shallow I like to run my lines 125 to 150 feet back.
    When you are fishing herring how are they running, nice slow roll? I like to troll at 1.9 to 2.2 MPH so you should be ok there.

Lines are only about 50ft back when they are shallow. When using the herring, yeah I get a nice slow lopping roll. No idea what species. It's around Tee Harbor, so whatever is jumping around there. Maybe the boat is spooking them?

Stop the boat in the middle of the school of fish. Mooch for them with herring. If they are not Reds, you will get them real quick. If they are Reds, you will need to put on a snagging hook and drag it through the middle of them for best results.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Lines are only about 50ft back when they are shallow. When using the herring, yeah I get a nice slow lopping roll. No idea what species. It's around Tee Harbor, so whatever is jumping around there. Maybe the boat is spooking them?
    I have never fished Chums or Reds but if they are Ho's or King's you should be hitting them with the bait, run your lines long next time out and see what happens, they do spook from the boat. How ever I have on occasion had fish yank the line out of my hand while trying to clip it in the downrigger release (the spoon was only 15 or 20 feet back in the prop wash. Only the real agressive ones do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Stop the boat in the middle of the school of fish. Mooch for them with herring. If they are not Reds, you will get them real quick. If they are Reds, you will need to put on a snagging hook and drag it through the middle of them for best results.
    Mooching is just having the bait straight down on a hook with weights correct?

Default do you

have bananas in youre boat?

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    have bananas in youre boat?
    No bananas.

I have seen chums acting like that by the shore and never had them hit my herring. When they are like that I simply move out 100 yards or so and work for silvers, if they are in.

They're chums.

Blue flasher, 24" to a single hook with either cerise or chartreuse yarn, go fast enough to just kick over the flasher.

Get a depthfinder to locate the fish, then fish just over the top of them.

Money.

Default Smolt's Right On

You are watching a combination of sockeye and chums jumping near and inside of Tee Harbor. This time of the year I start my day by dragging a few minutes in the south end of the Harbor and pick up a couple of chum on purpose because I use them for fresh halibut bait. The fishing gets really hot in about a week there - then we target the brightest for smoking (and you will catch a sockeye too once in awhile). ;-)

Everyone uses a little different tail leader length for these guys - I prefer 18.5" myself. I like a #4/0 siwash blued hook with a cerise thread knotted on the mono ahead of the eye of the hook with a tail hanging back to the curve of the hook. Even a red "gum-pucky" works ahead of the hook with no thread.

Speed is important, you only want your Hotspot to rotate very SLOWLY. I've never found flasher color to make much difference. These fish show up as stacks of chevrons on the average sounder screen. It is best to keep your gear situated so the fish can see it above them. Fishing them is great fun for kids - you can keep them busy playing fish. Most of what you see are going to the net pen release site just above Amalga - so that is another option to try. (Once they get there they can be pretty ugly but still great for butt bait). Good luck.