Thread: Ship Creek

Question Ship Creek

Anyone been down to Ship in the last few days? The Daily News claims that its "really picking up" down there -- and if its printed in the Daily News, it must be true, right? (sorry, Cliffhanger ...)

Default Ship

Got a 30 pound chrome hen yesterday and missed two others. Saw a dozen or so landed while I was there. All of my bites came on the outgoing tide. All hits where from roe on the bottom.

I'm in San Antonio for the next 3 weeks for work, but my buddy had to call me yesterday to tell me he caught a 20lb hen by the rr bridge yesterday. Said there was a rush and everyone was hooking up.....Just got a call from a differant buddy who caught a 30lb male, soon as i leave town fishing picks up

If you want a nice escape from the Texas heat try chasing rainbows on the Guadalupe river. They plant some over 20 inches. Try downstream of Canyon Lake towards Gruene and New Braunfels or at least make the drive down River Road. I hated the 2 years I lived in the area but the river isn't half bad.

i didnt bring any gear with me down here, break after beating the water for kings. stopping off to do some muskie fishing with my dad enroute back and then another week off to fish after that

Thumbs up this am

down there this morning. saw at least 35 moving up and down the creek. got hit in the legs 4 times and had 2 go through my legs(standing in not quite knee deep water). hooked up 7 times, landed a 22 lb chrome hen, out of water all by 6:40 am.

Well I guess they all came and went yesterday. Fished this morning from opening until 7:30 ... and maybe saw six or seven on the bank b/w the footbridge and the dam. Considering there were about 6,000 guys flailing the water w/ yarn flies, the odds didn't look too good.

In the deep hole b/w the footbridge and the restaurant -- which is usually one of the best spots on Ship -- saw a grand total of one legitimate hook-up from 6:00-6:45 (the fish quickly broke off on the pylons).

Did see numerous tomatoes swimming around in front of the spillway, though.

Just got back, I didnt get one, but there were many had. I started fishing around 130pm and they were a bitting. Left around 3 and saw about 20 or so caught and probably another dozen that lived to see another day. Looks like the ticket was roe on the bottom, near the bridges and around one of the last curves before the mouth it was roe on a bobber.

Evidently incoming/high tide is the ticket (unfortunately) ... would so much rather flip a yarn fly at low tide than stick my hand into a bag of stank eggs and "grandma fish" with a lawn chair and a bobber!

I just use what works. If I'm after king meat, eggs are the way to go. Besides, I've never snagged a king in the belly using eggs. But some flippers seem they can't help it.

I went there today around high tide. Had 2 on, missed another hit, and saw about 30 or so landed and about as many lost. At first it seemed Vibrax was the ticket, then as the tide started going out, eggs were more successful.

There this evening and saw several on shore and a few other battling for there lives.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 37.8

taken on a 10wt with 25lb line. Not all flippers are belly snaggers! Way to go Kirby. I think Andy was with you on this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dandeo2003; 06-29-2008 at 01:04. Reason: adding fishermans name