Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Amenment Up Held

Default Second Amenment Up Held

By avote of 5 to 4 the Super Court has ruled in favor of Heller YAHOO!
    This is the best news ever.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Yep! They done good for a change. Wait a minute……….what’s that sound I hear off in the distance? I think that is the sound of hundreds of lawsuits being filed in California to strike down their ridiculous state firearm laws.

So, if a liberal cries in California, will it rain somewhere in Alaska?

Perhaps now the gun sales volumes will increase to the point that Weatherby can lower the prices on their Mark V’s and then I could post on the “why I love Weatherby rifles” post! Yippeeee!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

This is very good news, I just wish it was a stronger majority. The desenting views made no sense at all go figure. Scalia was strong and specific about the handguns place in defense, good for him.

Remember this;

Every U.S. President can appoint U.S. Supreme Court justices, this one of the four major (and important) powers that a U.S. President has, I'm so glad we had Reagan in the eighties.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You are right on about the Presidential powers. In some ways this is the MOST important among them as far as the individual is concerned. I was hoping that Bush would get to appoint at least one more conservative to the bench, but alas it is not to be.

The decision is a positive for us as gun owners, but it seems as if the impetus of the Anit-gun left is towards ammunition at this point making firearms next to useless.

I've read the whole decision, exellently written on both sides

Great News!!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I've read the whole decision, exellently written on both sides
    How about a link. I would enjoy reading both sides.

Did anybody catch the mayor of D.C. saying that people still did not have the right of use of a hand gun outside of the home? He was standing on the court house steps when He made his remarks.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for the link, I got about 16 pages into it, and saved the file for later reading. 167 pages is a little long for one setting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

You are most welcome...I was waiting to read it when I had a LOT more time on my hands...LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    How about a link. I would enjoy reading both sides.

Did anybody catch the mayor of D.C. saying that people still did not have the right of use of a hand gun outside of the home? He was standing on the court house steps when He made his remarks.
    Yup Al, and he also stated that semiautomatic handguns were still illegal in DC.

Thumbs up

The majority was clear and relatively succinct for a SCOTUS opinion. I felt that the dissent was an example of trying to win an argument through the volume of words rather than reason. But then I'm biased.

The majority opinion will have far reaching consequences for all enumerated rights. It clearly, and flatly stated that enumerated rights are off limits to even the courts, and the legal concept of balancing could not be applied to them. This will cut down on judicial mischief at all levels.

The court was also clear in it's intent that requiring a license and then placing barriers that, in practice, prevent obtaining the license is not acceptable. And, the majority opinion mentioned guns kept for traditional uses, ie hunting.

And this is just round one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    The majority was clear and relatively succinct for a SCOTUS opinion. I felt that the dissent was an example of trying to win an argument through the volume of words rather than reason. But then I'm biased.

The majority opinion will have far reaching consequences for all enumerated rights. It clearly, and flatly stated that enumerated rights are off limits to even the courts, and the legal concept of balancing could not be applied to them. This will cut down on judicial mischief at all levels.

The court was also clear in it's intent that requiring a license and then placing barriers that, in practice, prevent obtaining the license is not acceptable. And, the majority opinion mentioned guns kept for traditional uses, ie hunting.

And this is just round one.

You mean as in "Where there is no law, the judge should keep silent"?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Yup Al, and he also stated that semiautomatic handguns were still illegal in DC.

Poor guy, hadn't had a chance to read the decision he was waving in his hand, before he opened his mouth and stuck in his foot. Remember the ban has had 35 years to work, it all depends on if the mayor thinks another 35 years is needed for it to start working.

Default Good news

This is good news for a poor family living in the inner city with no one to protect them from all the criminals there. Finally they have their God given right to legally defend themselves.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You mean as in "Where there is no law, the judge should keep silent"?
    More like "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," doesn't mean unless we the courts think it needs refinement because times have changed. It blows Breyer out of the water.

An example Scalia gave was that the first amendment right to free speech has specified limitations, and everything else, no matter how repugnant, is off limits to any gvt. entity including the courts. It is an absolute right until the Constitution is ammended to change it.

This is an argument I hadn't heard before and now it's precedent or at the least reaffirmed.

I just heard the news, Amen, and thanks to all the men and women who have fought for gun ownership and gun rights.

Default Major Victory

A major victory for those of us who value our second ammendment right, and every other constitutional right for that matter. The liberal members of the court absolutely baffle me.

"Unfortunately and disappointingly, the Supreme Court opted not to uphold the three-decade-old handgun ban in the District of Columbia,"

I think that's the PC way of saying....

"Unfortunately and disappointingly, the Supreme Court opted to uphold the Constitution"

Ok guys so I have a question... does this mean someone could have a handgun in D.C. today? Or now do they have to do some legal stuff to change laws to make that possible?

Thanks, schmidty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast