Thread: Halibut Rod/Reel?

Default Halibut Rod/Reel?

So, I've moved my boat to Homer and am ready to do some serious white meat fishing. A couple of my rod/reels have seen better days and are due for replacement. What's the best bang for the buck these days? The $120 rigs over at Costco, would probably get the job done, but would these be adequate, or do I need to invest a little more? I bought Penn Senators 15 years ago for Valdez, are they still the standard? I sure like the level winds, especially for the kids. Are GTs the way to go? What are the charter guys using? Their stuff has to be rugged and reliable, maybe I should just go for the same caliber gear. This is probably like asking what the best rifle for Alaska is, but I'd appreciate any recommendations. David
    Last edited by AKFloats; 06-26-2008 at 02:02. Reason: added more

Default but set up

I like the penn 345 gti real it works good I wraped my own rod you can get them from pac bay I used a saber rod blank 5ft 8 in 130lb rated I used aftco roller guides

Default Cool handle

Where'd you find that crank?

Default I made it

I made it in my shop it works good.

Default Penn

I'm a charter and use my rods alot by begginers. I use Penn 330 GTi reels. I have only had to replace pawls when porpoises get in my line. I highly recommend them. Buy the ones at Costco and then go buy Shakespeare Tidewater rods for value and reliability. That is the best bang for the buck option.
    My favorite rods on the boat are the Diawa inline rods. They afe found at B&J Sporting Goods, but they are over a $100.00 each by themselves.
    Rich
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

I use the 330 gti...
    Rods i have a mixture of different brands.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you want a bulletproof setup, pretty tough to beat a seeker rod and avet reel, but it's a major upgrade in price.

If you aren't dead set on bait fishing, you might want to look at running a jigging rod. Especially for the kids, a lighter rod and reel makes for a much easier setup to fish.

I finally broke down and got a seeker 6 1/2' 30# jigging rod and coupled it with a shimano tld 20 spooled with 300yds of 50# braid, backed with 80# dacron. The shimano reel is very smooth, and after having used a lever drag, it's tough to go back to a star drag.

Default Go custom

Check out akhydro custom rods made here in Anchorage. He can build you whatever you want, even put your boat name on it! Keep your money in Alaska.

I really like the Diawa interline rods matched up with a penn 113H reel. It is a relatively light set up with plenty of back bone yet they have a lot of sensitivity. I believe that with 100lb spectra, rigged to fish it will run you well under $300 per set up. The rods have a short butt section which is nice for smaller people. My personal set up is a Shimano Trevala butterfly jig rod rated for up to 100lb test. I put an Avet SX with 50lb spectra on it. I really like this set up!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Penn 330 GTI with 80# Spectra.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The Penn 320GTI has the same gear size and drag size as the bigger ones (and the Penn 113H, for that matter). Very tough little reel - will pull 20lbs of drag, and that ain't trivial.

Hook your favorite 'butt rig up to a 15lb weight and lift it off the ground - then try saying that you won't be able to land the biggest halibut out there with that drag setting.

Don't burden yourself with a big reel - we're not fishing for marlin here. All you get with a 330 or bigger is additional unneeded line capacity ($$$ in spectra to fill), and extra weight and bulk.

The 320s only shortcoming is its handle. The handle from any of the 4/0 senators will work, and they come up quite often on Ebay.

Other bulletproof, cheap-ish jigging reels:

Daiwa SL-X20SHA (very compact, with a nice cranking handle, I have two)

Shimano TLD Star (Toughest gear set of any small reel)

Penn 113H (Too much capacity, but very robust and long-lived, and cheap)

Default Good rod for hal.

I charter and find that the 330 GTI on a combo deal at COSCO's works good for small fish and general uses. I keep them with 80lb. Tuff line and I also use Penn 114H reels W/ roller rods for fishing bigger fish. The 114 W/ dacron backing and 80 Tuff line does the trick. I think that the Shimano make better equipment but its pricey and chartring just beats up your gear and people know the Penn name and feel you are giving them good stuff to fish with. I use the Pen 320GTI W/ 30lb & 8.5 down rigger rods for salmon. Tom

If you got the money, Jim at Boneyard Baits has the best set up rods and reels. I have never seen a rod as light as the one he has. And a reel the has 8 ball bearinings. The rod melted in my hands when he gave it to me to hold.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'd been looking to buy a new halibut reel (have several Senator's 113H, 114H, 114HLW but they're bulky and heavy), so after reading this thread I went out today and got a 330GT2. Was going to get a 320, but the sales guy had a good point about getting a reel with greater line capacity....If you're deep and have a big fish on and your line breaks, you've got lots more on the reel so you can keep fishing. Put 250 yards of 80-lb braided with dacron backing. We'll see how I like it.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your input.
    What a great resource.
    Now we just need a little time off and some good weather.
    David