Thread: Inflatable boat doubling as bed?

Default Inflatable boat doubling as bed?

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm looking for a 2-person inflatable boat that could double as an inflatable bed. Does something like this exist?

Thanks,
    Harwons

I think I linked it here somwere where a guy used an Alpaca raft as a bed. What are you trying to do with it? Fly in, road system float trips, lakes? Do you want a white water capable raft? There are tons of people here willing to help we just need a little guidance. Oh and it is allways helpfull to know how much $$$ you consider to be a reasonable amount to spend

Wow, that was fast.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think I linked it here somwere where a guy used an Alpaca raft as a bed.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What are you trying to do with it? Fly in, road system float trips, lakes? Do you want a white water capable raft? There are tons of people here willing to help we just need a little guidance. Oh and it is allways helpfull to know how much $$$ you consider to be a reasonable amount to spend
    I want to car camp so I'm looking for a (semi-)comfortable inflatable bed, and occasionally use the thing as a boat on lakes. So it's more of a bed than of a boat. I think a white-water capable raft would be too big and too specialized to be used as a bed. Price is not really an issue, as this will be gear that I'll use for many years.

Thanks again!

The AlPacka rafts are very small and compact and would do what you want it to do.

Here is a pic/link to the Alpaca Dory which is their 2 person raft though if it was me I would look at 2, 1 person rafts if using them as air matresses was a desire.
    The Alpaca Dory

Sounds like a pricey bed. You can get an inflatable camping mattress from OR and then get a boat. Both would probably do better with what they are designed for.

Default Trying to save on bulk and weight

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Sounds like a pricey bed. You can get an inflatable camping mattress from OR and then get a boat. Both would probably do better with what they are designed for.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I guess I'm trying to save on bulk by combining the boat and the bed into one device. At 10lb, the Alpacka Dory seems very light for its multiple functionality. It doesn't seem designed to perform as a bed, though. I thought that if something like a bed/boat existed, it would have an air-tight top that can be pulled parallel to the bottom.

check youtube there is a video of a guy that uses a tarp tent and sleeps on his raft by turning it upside down. Some of these ultralight backpacking guys are pretty creative! I can't get to youtube from tis PC but I wll try to find the video tonight and link it

I've slept many nights on a flipped over 8' Avon raft...and a couple under it in a rain storm. They work well and are super comfortable if you are by yourself. Two people trying to sleep on it will just roll to the middle.