Thread: Seward Halibut

Default Seward Halibut

I am going out to Resurrection Bay on Saturday for the first time.
    Can you guys help me out here.
    What size weights will I need for Halibut?
    Jigs or just circle hooks and bait?

What about trolling for Kings? I won't have a downrigger, should I put on a "Dipsy Diver"?

What about locations? The fishing reports say to head out towards the islands and the narrows. But, can anyone be a little more specific?

Thanks all,
    AK Chappy

It usally depends on how much water is moving on how much weight you need I think with this weekend you should be fine with 2lb. with alot of water moving 3lbs. is sometimes not enough and it's better to drift at that point. As far as rigs go I would do both when one isn't working you can try the other unless you have muiltiple people than one can use the jig and the others can use bait and when one is working better than the other switch it up.

[quote=AK_Chappy;293396]I am going out to Resurrection Bay on Saturday for the first time.
    Can you guys help me out here.
    What size weights will I need for Halibut?

I have never used more than a 20 oz. weight.

Jigs or just circle hooks and bait?

This I think depends on who is fishing. I use a circle hook with bait.

What about trolling for Kings? I won't have a downrigger, should I put on a "Dipsy Diver"?

Once you get past the boat harbor you will have to go deep. I have had some luck in the past at Pony Cove trolling 50-60 feet.

What about locations? The fishing reports say to head out towards the islands and the narrows. But, can anyone be a little more specific?

Unlike the Homer area Halibut fishing is spotty at best in Seward right now. Never had any luck in the Narrows. Try Marys Bay on Rugged Island, and the point off the West side. If the weather will let you out of the bay the East side of Pilot Rock and the hump South of Pilot Rock. Six miles due East after you round Cape Resurection in 320' can be productive. As the salmon run fills the bay Halibut can be found almost anywhere in the bay.

Weather permitting I may be there myself, usually launch around 6am. at the North launch.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default Thank You!!

Thank you to those who responded, public and PM.

You got us on a good start and we had fun. We ended up catching a bunch of little ones in the bay and a couple of pinks.

My buddies had a grand time.

Thanks again.

AK Chappy

Weights take different sizes. I carry 16, 24, 32, and 48 oz.
    Jigs I carry 16 and 24 oz.

Circle hooks I go with 16 and 20 (salmon heads)

Mix it up. Try bait and another person try a jig. See what's working better. Also sometimes when the bite is slow a jig will trigger a bite.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK