Thread: Resurrection River advice?

Default Resurrection River advice?

I am thinking about heading down to Seward and trying to find some reds in the salt at the mouth of the Resurrection River this weekend and was hoping to get some tips on gear/tides/best places to hit/etc.

I have been told there is a private lot on Nash road, but don't know much beyond that.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Default reds

sent you a pm

How is the fishing down there anyway? Wondering if I should forget the Russian and try down in Seward?

seward reds are slim right now... seiners have scooped up most of the first run... the only legal place to get em in the salt right now and that's primarily snagging, though I suppose you could throw something else and see what happens...

access is via private land off Nash road, park and pay $10. you'll see the signs.

I'd join the circus at the Russian if I were you.

Cool, thanks. I went down to the Russian on Sunday and limited in 2 hours (some people told me that was slow). I went yesterday and got none. What do you know about the run down there? Are we on the tale end of it or are we still waiting for big numbers to show up? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    ... the only legal place to get em in the salt right now and that's primarily snagging, though I suppose you could throw something else and see what happens...

access is via private land off Nash road, park and pay $10. you'll see the signs..

You can fish the fresh waters downstream of the Seward Highway and Nash Road. This regulation change occured at the November Board of Fish meeting. Below is the regulation found on page 58.

Resurrection Bay fresh waters are closed year-round to fishing for all salmon except the waters of Resurrection River downstream of the Seward Highway and Nash Road. In these waters, open season for salmon (other than king salmon) is June 16–Dec. 31. Limit is 3 salmon per day, 3 in possession, of which only 2 may be coho salmon. Only unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures are allowed.

just came back from snagging. i do good abotu 3-4hours before high tide. The fishing has been good. Most of the people i go with get there limit of six in only a few minutes. the people who don't catch anything or only a few are going out to late

Default Snaggin' gear

When you go snaggin' for reds at the mouth of resurrection river, what kind of snaggin' gear do you use? Do you fish like you're fishing for regular fish or do you use the big weighted treble hooks? I'd like to try snaggin' sometime... any info would be appreciated... thanks

Default Great

went down on the 17th and the 23rd and my and dad and I both limited out with three hours each time. On the 17th I had 4 fish within about 20 to 30 mins and caught my other 2 with in a short time. On the 23rd we were walking out to the second main channel (the one farthest from the parking lot) about 2 hours before high tide when we ran into a little side channel with a good number of fish in it. Every now and then they would get lost and run into the shallows, almost caught one with my hands. My dad caught his first fish for the day there and i lost one. We moved on to the second main channel and were catching fish left and right but, it slowed down really fast and the tide was coming in making fishing cramped. My dad finally caught his last fish and i still had one to go. We went back to the car and ate some food and then went back out about and hour and half after high tide and caught my last fish within about 10 casts by the time we got to "the fishing spot". It's 5$ a person and free if your under 16. Plus it cost about 11$ to park a the russian compared to 5$ at seward plus your allowed 6 fish per day intead of 3 fish ,but it's just not as fair to the fish. lots of people down the snagging above the 600yd markers also.

Does the Resurrection river get a late run of Reds in July like some of the other rivers do? i am going to be up there July 15th -22nd next year and am wondering if there will be any there. I am going on a silver charter and will have a half day to fish rivers or from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by biglou View Post
    When you go snaggin' for reds at the mouth of resurrection river, what kind of snaggin' gear do you use? Do you fish like you're fishing for regular fish or do you use the big weighted treble hooks? I'd like to try snaggin' sometime... any info would be appreciated... thanks
    yepp weighted treble hooks, i kinda like the smaller ones,not sure on the weight.
    i think the smaller diameter of the hook helps with quicker and deeper penetration, plus the lighter ones don't work your arms and wrist out as fast when you are ripping and reeling.

[QUOTE=aktally;293652]You can fish the fresh waters downstream of the Seward Highway and Nash Road. This regulation change occured at the November Board of Fish meeting. Below is the regulation found on page 58.

..thanks for the clarifiacation... I had no idea..