Thread: Kodiak Dollies

Default Kodiak Dollies

I'll be in Kodiak next week and plan on hitting the Pasagshak for reds at least a couple of times. Other than that, I'd like to target dollies with my fly rod wherever the action is hot on the road system.

I've heard Pillar Creek and Monashka beaches are pretty good for this. Is the action on the beaches themselves or the creeks, by the way?

Are there any other recommendations where I can find plentiful numbers of dollies while I'm there at areas that are easily accessible? I was there two years ago the same time of year and fished the American and Olds rivers. The spots were beautiful but I didn't catch many fish.

Egg sucking leaches, clouser minnows, and wolly buggers I've heard are good. Any other recommendations for flies?

Default Dolly days...

Road system opportunities for dollies are pretty darn good.

My favoitie spots are Pillar Pool, Buskin, American, and Salonie Creek. Myrtle Beach can be exceptional. Salonie holds the big guys if you walk and probe. At the American you can drive into the staging area for the atv's to Saltery and literally park and fish.

My best time to the limit of 10 fish was at the American in 55 minutes.

Dollies are opportunists. They chase the spawn and gobble the eggs. I have taken them on everthing from spoons to flies and single egg bait presentations.

They are great table fare if you intend to harvest. If you are into catch and release bend the barb, avoid bait, and unhook while still in water as they tend to flop with fervor when on the bank.

The book on fishing Kodiak is in the bookstore on this site...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default I'm no expert......

But I would stick to fishing in the salt. I caught some in the surf at pasagshak last week. The mouth area of any river should have some fish. Like you said pillar beach and in town mission beach is pretty can't miss and more protected for fly casting. PM me if you want to meet up and go fishing.

I caught plenty of dollies everywhere from the american to chiniak last summer. You're gonna catch them even if you aren't targeting um. I didn't get anything too big, our biggest was about 17 inches, but they all had lots of fight. We did better on small cleo's and spinners. Our most productive spinner was one we found at Mack's tackle, it had 3 orange beads. Lots of action on that one. Other than that, most of our action came on pink flies.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm seriously looking forward to this trip. Kodiakbound, you may hear from me.

good luck. Even if you just need some info shoot me a pm I'd be glad to share what others have been great enough to teach me in my short time here