Thread: Very,very Small Game

Question Very,very Small Game

I noticed on page 110 for unclassified game in the Alaska regulations that there is no closed season on mice and shrews !!!!

Why would fish and game waste ink to put this in the regs ??
    or are they actually hunted ??

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thumbs down Control Freaks

It is a result of government needing to control every aspect of our lives. Does that mean you need a hunting or trapping license to set a mouse trap in your house? Give me a break!

Talking Trophy book

You should see the mouse I shot the other day. The nosler partition went straight through. I think he ran maybe 14 inches before killing over. He was easy to track. He tipped the scales at 4-1/2 ounces and had a beautiful hide. The meat wasn't that good on account of his age. The younger mice are much tastier ...

... I totally agree with you ... my cat is not going to jail since mice are in season.

Default shrew attacks

I'm coming to Alaska and I was wondering if a 44 mag will stop a charging shrew?

Wink

You might want to buck up to a S&W 500 mag and use hollow points !!!!!
    Come with pleanty of ammo.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Farley Mowat

I think the regulation was for Farley's benefit, way back when he was out there dancing with wolves. I hear that he ate a few rodents just to see how it would work out for him.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Pikas

For some reason pikas merited some ink this year as well. You must salvage either the meat or hide.

Bottom line I think is the way regs have to be written here- something about "if it's not specifically allowed, it's illegal" a legislator told me. Consider the source!

I gotta say though, that a few years back we had a vole invasion, and those little suckers come out in daylight. One of my best years ever, hunting-wise, as I carried a high grade pellet pistol with me every time I went outside and plinked away at them. By fall, it would have been a VERY bad idea to pi$$ me off any time I had a pistol in my hand- any pistol at any range.

More shooting practice than I've ever had with any gun. Don't care about bag limits, but I started logging my kills about half way through the summer. Still managed to bag over 700 of those critters AFTER I started keeping score. Kinda wish we'd have another vole invasion, as my pistol pointing is beginning to rust.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear
    Bottom line I think is the way regs have to be written here- something about "if it's not specifically allowed, it's illegal" a legislator told me. Consider the source!
    It's true (despite the source). Page 7, in italics, near the top of the page:

If the species is not listed, you may NOT hunt that species.
    By the way, folks; if you happen to see a bigfoot snoozing out there, you'll have to be satisfied with dipping his hand in warm water. In accordance with the above, you can't legally shoot. You'll have to be satisfied with just telling folks about your encounter.

I'm sure they'll believe you...........

PatrickH:
    Does that mean you need a hunting or trapping license to set a mouse trap in your house?
    Yup. Specifically, a trapping license.

Give me a break!
    They probably would. I've never heard of anyone prosecuted.

These are just the classic lawyer weasel words necessary in this litigious society.

Unfortunately, there is no open season on lawyers, either.

I had to check the regs last night on whether or not I needed a tag for a mouse my friend had in his house as well as to see if I would have to use a primitive weapon only. Toothpick, etc.

Default Snowy Owls

I had to look twice to see there is no limit on snowy owls. Well I'm going to fill the back of my truck up with snowy owls this year! Don't call PETA please.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Hunting Regs

If you think thats bad, about 7 or 8 years ago, there was a paragraph in the regs that specifically forbid hunting big game with a spear gun. And to think I had my scuba gear ready for moose season.