Thread: Availability of Powder and Primers in Anchorage

Default Availability of Powder and Primers in Anchorage

I am hoping to move to Anchorage in a few months if the hunting gods smile on me. The only problem is I will probably have to get rid of all my powder and primers prior to the move (I don't think I can ship it or move it legally). Are there shops in the ANC-Eagle River-Mat-Su area that stock powder and primers? Will any of the lower 48 catalog houses (Midway, etc) ship to AK?

I've been up several times house hunting, but hadn't looked at any of the local gun shops.

Any info is appreciated!

Default Yes

GDY

Sportsmans Warehouse, Great Northern Guns and MountainView Sports in Anchorage are the ones that I know carry powder/primers and reloading stuff.
    In Eagle River it's Boondock's Sporting Goods (my pick).

Can't help with any info in the Valley. I'm sure there are many others but these are the ones I know and use regularly.

Ed

Great to know! I guess I'll load up on bullets then before I move and restock my powder and primers when I get there!

Thanks

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

GD Yankee:

Sadly, the area sustains a sizable population of the Handloading Subculture, which creates a market for the nefarious products you describe.

Unfortunately, it is likely to remain this way until the Democrats take over completely.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I generally buy my personal bullets from Midway as I get a discount and can piggyback my personal stuff on orders or combine with my reloading buds.

Powder I buy at GNG as they can match local distrib prices for me and I am good friends with the boys over there...210 match primers are scarce

If you're driving up through Canada, I think you can bring your powder and primers. I've done it twice now and both times I had a truckbed full of powder and primers. The border agents never even asked me about it. I also brought my 1911 45 pistol with me through Canada. Just something to think about.