Thread: Engine Control Module (ECM)

Default Engine Control Module (ECM)

Anybody know the life expectancy of these things on Honda ATV's? I had a code 4 on my 4WD indicator and that might be one of the problems why my 4WD only works for about 2 minutes when I first turn it on. I have an 06 Rancher AT.

I dont have a code list for your model so its difficult to say the ECM is bad. I have only had one go bad on my four machines over the years and the code was definitely bad ECM. Therefore, I would suspect that it's the 4WD sensor and not the ECM. Either that or it's the servo actuator that puts it into and takes it out of 4WD. Luckily my ride was under warranty, otherwise it would have cost around $800 if I remember correctly, don't hold me to that, it's been quite awhile.

I don't know much about hondas but if it's a servo actuator/ and or 4w drive problems, I would take the connections apart and dielectric grease them. Nothing worse than wasting money money at a shop for the easy fixes.

Greasing the connections is great advice. You will know if that is possible culprit when you break the connection and there is moisture or just plain full of water. All of your connections will have an o-ring seal built into them. This will generally keep out the static water but not fast moving stream/river nor as my son found out will it keep out the water from the pressure washer if you blast the connections directly.
    Hondas are famous for the speed sensor connection to get moisture in it also. Look for simple things first and work your way up from there. Do you own a shop manual just for your ride? Worth it's weight in gold!

Default ECM

I know the life expectancy on a polaris is about 15 minutes. I had mine go out after I first bought it. It took the shop a few times to fix it but now everything is working great. On my machine it would only start occasionally, and never 20 miles in after lunch.