Thread: Blackies are still breeding...

Default Blackies are still breeding...

just got back from a bad hunt, and saw two sets of black bear boars tailing sows who seemed pretty tolerant to them...just thought i'd pass it on, never seen this kinda activity this late before.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have seen several times in unit 13 blackies getting some from mid to late June. I thought this was the "normal" time of year for them...

most of the stuff i've seen has been last week of may first week of june, this was the first time i've seen courtship in late june, i guess since bears don't rut, and are induced ovulators that they can breed anytime she feels like it. talked to a bio once that saw brown bears breeding in oct.
    Master guide 212

Default bad hunt

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    just got back from a bad hunt, and saw two sets of black bear boars tailing sows who seemed pretty tolerant to them...just thought i'd pass it on, never seen this kinda activity this late before.

Well I have read about your good hunts, can you share what a bad hunt is? Its been kinda slow here so please share the basics if you can.

jeff

lol, well a bad hunt, weather was sour about 90 percent of the time, first hunt in six years that we haven't seen a grizz, clients getting a little short in the patience, listening to guys talk about how much money they spent, their rain gear not working, stuff like that is a bad hunt.
    Master guide 212

I guess I've had a lot of bad hunts......That sounds like a typical hunt to me though.

Default hunts

Yeap sounds normal here as well.

Last year no game in sight been out for over a week & finally get to the lake where the pilot was going to come & do a pick up I call & he says oh yea that lake is to low to do a landing on. But wait their is a lake about a 1.5 miles from you. Hump it over to that one & Ille come get you there. I say sure & call him whem I get there he says hows the weather & I say terrible he says same here call me tomorrow we will see when we can come. We finally get picked up a bit late & further & wetter than when we started. I guess thats a bad hunt huh?.......no it was good cant wait to do it again.

lol well guys bad hunts happen, but when you do about 15-17 hunts a year, the bad ones really jump out at ya. specially when your sitting out there trapped in a tent with some one you don't know, who paid you to be there, different atmosphere than doing a hunt on my own for sure.
    My own personal hunts, i don't remember any bad hunts, i remember ones without getting stuff, and bad weather and me being grumpy...but can't remember bad hunts...different when your guiding.
    Master guide 212

Default Tent Time

i hear ya jake...i've never groused about money i spent on a hunt, cause i figure once i pull the trigger on a hunt, the money decision is over....but spending a few days in a tent drives me crazy after a while. i don't mind sitting and not seeing game, or hiking and not seeing game...but a few days confined in a tent drives me bonkers.

Time to start packing a one man "time out" tent