Thread: King Salmon casualties

Default King Salmon casualties

So this year I was bragging about how good my spidercast reel was.

I wore out the line guide gear on it and on a c4 Ambassaduer.

So it still stands that I have used red, blued , silver, black Ambassaduers and a Spidercast reel. I HAVE FRIED THEM ALL.

What should I upgrade to? I need a baitcaster that I can cast with that will handle king fishing.

For now I will stick to sending the reels back in for a refurbishing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Try a corsair, I have one, and the lil thing gets me anything from Reds to Kings, make sure you loosen up the drag when not using them, that can be a disaster when you need the drag, and the dog spring gives...

Try an Avet SX, they are extremely durable and powerful for their size. Only negative is that the spool is quick and it has no magnets or brakes, so you'll need a good thumb to keep it under control.

Mike

Default penn

Penn 965, that ambassador is a great reel, but thier drags kinda stink. They can be rebuilt pretty cheap though. I used the ammabssador for a looong time and just recently upgraded mine to a 965 penn 3 years ago. Pretty big difference. really nice reel. I havn't used the corsair or the calcutta but i think they are pretty similar. I got info from Three rivers guys and B&J commercial guys and made a decision on the Penn instead.
    Justin

Avet reels are awesome, though they are a touch heavy.

Shimano makes ok reels now, but they discontinued the single best king reel they ever made...the Bantam 50

If you can find one, buy it. If you can find two, buy them both...I own 4, 2 that get fished (no problems in 18 years) and 2 that are waiting on the shelf.

Default Family reels

I have two Ambassaduer 7500s that were my Dad's and a 7500c that was my grandfather's. They used them fishing for large stripers in Tennessee and I inherited them.

They're a little heavy, but they have great memories for me.

I have a penn 965 and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. By far the best baitcasting reel I have ever used. First king I caught on it was 65 lbs, second fish was a 143lb halibut. Never skipped a beat. It is around 4 years old and still looks and feels new. VERY light also.

Default Can't pass this one up...

i have tried the 5000, 6500, and even a corsair ( I can't afford a Calcutta.) The best reel I've ever used is by far the Daiwa Millionaire MS300. The Corsair bearings fell out after one season, and the Amassaduer drags suck. Cool gold finish, too.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Avet reels are awesome, though they are a touch heavy.

Shimano makes ok reels now, but they discontinued the single best king reel they ever made...the Bantam 50

If you can find one, buy it. If you can find two, buy them both...I own 4, 2 that get fished (no problems in 18 years) and 2 that are waiting on the shelf.
    Please tell me more about why the Bantam 50 is such a great king reel. I know where I can get one for $30. Why do you like it so much?

Deep River

Default My .02

I have/use an ABU Record, RCN60HC. The HC stands for high capacity. I can only tell you that this reel is awesome! My first year here fishin 06, I caught 2 50#s and I had another one on and it straightened the hook out on a K-15. I was using an ABU 6000 at that time, those fish literally broke the reel (worm gear and a couple of other parts). I bought the Record and just love. I caught a 50# on it. It is extremely smooth and casts a mile. Very stout, great drag. Check it out. Oh yhea, I now replace every hook on new lures. I use the Owner 4X trebels, I don't think you could bend them using 2 trucks, they are stout. I just purchased some VMC 6X trebles from Cabelas, they don't appear to be as stout as the 4X Owners, just from looking at them anyway. I swore that I would not ever lose another fish because of a cheap hook. Anyway, check out the Record.