Thread: Hatchers Pass area

Default Hatchers Pass area

Hello all, is it legal to ride ATVs on the road (Willow side) at Hatchers Pass or are we limited to trails only?

Thanks, Derek

I think it's ok to ride on the road once you hit the dirt, i've done it and have seen others do it as well. It's not a road thats maintained year round so I don't believe it has atv restrictions.

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to find some nice, easy riding fairly close to Anchorage. My girlfriend has some medical issues right now & I don't want to get her on something too bumpy.
    Are there any other rides nearby (been to Eklutna twice already this year) that fit that criteria?

If you want to ride the road, I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later. I believe that the road over the pass at Summit Lake is still closed (it typically doesn't open until July), so you don't presently have any through traffic.

We were up there several weeks ago, and it was really nice.

Default Hatcher's Pass Mystery

I am new to this forum, so if the answer is somewhere else, please point me in the right direction. We were up at Hatcher's this past week and noticed a couple of trucks pulling ATVs heading up. This would be on the Palmer side. I know Archangel Road is off limits and I am assuming the pass road is off limits once it opens up (or should I now assume). Where can one ride in Hatcher's Pass? Or is it completely off limits this time of year? Thanks

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

you can legally ride the entire willow side of the pass / road. If you saw people going on from the Palmer side, then they were going to trailer over the top (past summet lake) to get to the riding area. Can be rough going over the pass with a trailer. the road is usually full of pot holes and wash board. we always go in on the Willow side and try to find a camping spot next to the creek somewere.

there are several trails that shoot off of the main road. some of them head towards puchase creek and others head south towards Wassila. most of these trails have difficult sections that can be steep, muddy, etc.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I forgot to mention that the end of the ATV section is clearly marked as you aproach the turn to head up towards summet lake from the willow side you will see the signs and an open gate. do go past that with you ATV and you wont have any trouble with the po po
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default sorry about that

oops, critical misspelling on my part! that last post should read as follows:

I forgot to mention that the end of the ATV section is clearly marked as you aproach the turn to head up towards summet lake from the willow side you will see the signs and an open gate. DONT go past that with your ATV and you wont have any trouble with the po po

I've been interested in riding and camping in that area for a while but didn't know if riding the road was allowed.

Is there a place where I can find information concerning land use/ownership for back there. I'd hate to accidently set up the camper on someone's private property.

I've been riding Hatchers Pass for about 5 years now and have never had an issue with riding on private land as most, if not all, is clearly posted. There's several places to park rv's and campers and there's also a lodge not to far from mostof the trails, you could stay there if you didn't feel like dragging your camper with you.