Thread: Lake trout bait

Default Lake trout bait

What is a good bait for Lake trout? I have used herring before, which seems to work pretty well, but has anyone ever used whitefish or suckers or something like that?

Default Bait

best bait iv'e ever used was salamanders, but have done well with suckers, dont forget rules of introduction of non game spiecies into waters. To get salamenders I lay a piece of plywood on flat groung near a swamp wait half a day and turn it over and wala not always that easy. GL
    fshrman

I know that rule. There is a small stream that drains into the lake that is just full of suckers, so it would be legal (I think)

I have used Herring, Ciscoes, Whitefish, Goldeye, but by far the best lake trout bait I have found is a nice chunky Grayling (if the regs permit their use)

I have caught tons of big Trout trolling Whitefish up to 2 pounds or so behind a couple of sets of cow bells on a down rigger. I have only tried Grayling a couple of times and they usually last less than 5 minutes before being eaten. I use quick strike rigs so the fish can be released as I never kill a Laker over 8 or 10 pounds (they take too long to grow up here).
    If the fish gets off (happens alot with these huge baits) just drop the bait back down while sitting still and 9 times out of ten the fish will come back and hit it again. I have had fish that have come back and hit as many as 15 times using this technique before they were either hooked and landed or hooked deep enough to get spooked and lost. I have watched 30 and 40 pound trout chew the bait up one side and down the other trying to kill it so it won't get away again. It's funny to watch a trout get frustrated with a dead bait that won't die.

All non regulated fish species, suckers, can be used for bait. No Grayling that one will get you a ticket.

Default Lake trout bait

Try Hooligan!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fshrman View Post
    best bait iv'e ever used was salamanders,
    No salamanders in Alaska, fshrman. The only amphibians we have are wood frogs.

Default Whitefish

It's hard to beat whitefish if they reside in the lake you're fishing. A small whole one is good, or a fillet strip of a large one. I prefer the fillet strip. You can cut the fillet and hook it much like you would a fillet strip of herring, like people mooch for salmon with in places like Puget Sound.

And yep, they will come back to it repeatedly, even after being hooked more than once! If the fish comes unhooked, leave the bait there and the fish will probably pick it up again, even if the fish was on for several seconds.