Thread: Campbell Creek - Kid fishing day

Default Campbell Creek - Kid fishing day

I have heard that Fish and Game is doing a Kids fishing day at campbell creek this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has taken their kids their to fish this event?

Thanks in advance

Default Usually in July

I think. I ride along the trail quite a bit. I have yet to see a king in there this year. Doesn't mean they are not there. Less and less show up every year in my 5 summers of living near the creek. TOO MANY SNAGGERS "JUST FISHING FOR RAINBOWS". YEAH WITH A SIZE 6 VIBRAX? I wouldn't be surprised if it is canceled this year. Look in the regs, don't bo by what someone tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I think. I ride along the trail quite a bit. I have yet to see a king in there this year. Doesn't mean they are not there. Less and less show up every year in my 5 summers of living near the creek. TOO MANY SNAGGERS "JUST FISHING FOR RAINBOWS". YEAH WITH A SIZE 6 VIBRAX? I wouldn't be surprised if it is canceled this year. Look in the regs, don't bo by what someone tells you.
    There was a guy last year that was brought into jail.. A cop thought there was a fire under the Daimond bridge. When he went to look he saw a homless guy cooking a whole King. Needless to say he did not get to eat the king, but we did give him a turkey sandwinch
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    There was a guy last year that was brought into jail.. A cop thought there was a fire under the Daimond bridge. When he went to look he saw a homless guy cooking a whole King. Needless to say he did not get to eat the king, but we did give him a turkey sandwinch
    What did they do with the king? Donated it to a homeless shelter I hope.

I did it last year, had my fish in about 20 minutes after loosing another one. Its a blast if theyre there. - Most of them will be red ; luckily the one I got was only pink and still had great flesh for the smoker

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post

I have no clue what they did with it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Check the Regs

According to the regs, the youth fishing is this coming weekend (pg 38).

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...ral/SCanch.pdf

I haven't seen a EO saying no, so I assume that it is still on. Might give F&G a call to confirm.

Default Campbell creek kings

Yes, it's still going on. It's 6:00 am - 10:00 pm Saturday and Sunday for kids 15 and younger. Bait and multiple hooks are allowed. They can fish from Diamond Blvd. up to the Old Seward Hwy. Last year was a huge success! Many kids caught there first king last year. This year might be slower due to the cooler summer. The water is still 7.5 degrees Cel. which is pretty cold for this time of year. The same thing happened two years ago and only a handfull were caught. I'll be walking the creek tomorrow to see what's up. I'll let you guys know. If you need more info, just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    That would be ironic, it was already going to the homeless.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Campbell Creek Kids Day

Seems that ADF&G sets up a display and last year I think they even passed out rods to kids to try fishing. Any hints on where to target King for kids in Campbell Creek? Grandparents are up and both my boys would like to give it a shot.

Thanks for any information.

Default Fun event

I took my kid and some of his buddies last year and they had a blast. We parked at the Taku Lake parking lot and walked the creek a little ways until we found a hole with fish. They didn't land anything but had a great time trying. There were some red salmon mixed in with the kings, so make sure you release the sockey if you inatvertantly catch one.

ADF&G will have fishing rods, bait and tackle for free checkout.

I was there yesterday and the water is high and murky
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Anyone have creek conditions for Campbell?

Default times?

Is Campbell Creek as tide specific as Ship? My seven year old is itching to catch a King.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Anyone have creek conditions for Campbell?
    A little high and murky
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Water conditions are perfect. As of 3:00 pm today 7-8 kings were caught that I saw. Most of the kings are holding in the lake due to cold creek temperatures (7.5 C.)with lake temps at (12 C.). People who fished between Minnesota and Arctic did fairly well. One kid caught three (kept only one)and lost one 45# in that area. Afterwards, I told people to head down to that same area and an hour later another kid came back with his king and lost two others. If your kids plan on fishing this evening or on Sunday, head down below Arctic near the fire station and carwash. Those that fished near Taku Campbell Lake caught only a few. One was caught on a vibrax and the rest came on spin-n-glows and eggs on the bottom. On a side note, Ship has had the same temperature problem the last few weeks with (7.3 C.) temperatures. The temps have been rising daily and accordingly so have the numbers of kings. Just food for thought. Good luck to you kids out there!