Thread: North on the fourth

Default North on the fourth

I am considering making the haul road trip earlier than I ever have. A few years ago i went in August, every other time was later in the year (as the picture shows). Anyone ever been up there in early july? What was it like for you?

Thanks, Bob

If you can catch the herd before they all make it north of the closed area, you should be fine. Saw quite a few small herds wandering around the fields over the last week, which is a little earlier than I'm used to. I've seen a couple hunters drive up for the opener the last couple of years, but typically there aren't too many people. The caribou are shedding pretty heavily, so even with a caribou hanging, keeping hair off the meat is a chore.

I find the meat a lot better on the early season caribou, so to me it is worth it to bag one early.

*edit* thought I would add that I filled up yesterday at $5.33/gallon regular unleaded. Didn't catch the diesel price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    *edit* thought I would add that I filled up yesterday at $5.33/gallon regular unleaded. Didn't catch the diesel price.
    Wow. Is that in Fairbanks?

Sorry, I should have clarified, that is in Deadhorse. It has fluctuated between $5.33-$5.40/gallon over the last week. I think Coldfoot is usually within 10 cents a gallon of Deadhorse.

Default Bugs

BUGS BUGS BUGS nuf said

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    BUGS BUGS BUGS nuf said
    that's an understatement
    Leave your Deet at home, the bugs up there consider it their A-1 steak sauce. Headnets, gloves and no bare skin or thin clothing.
    July is the month the boo seek out the wind, the high ridges and the patches of snow. July is the month up there you will see boo that are driven stark ravin mad by bugs. When you see them running full speed and dodging like some wolf is chasing them, it's the bugs. The blood from butchering a boo in july will produce a bugshow like you never knew existed