Thread: Deshka Landing to Susitna Landing (Kashwitna)?

Default Deshka Landing to Susitna Landing (Kashwitna)?

Which way is easier?

The main river channel towards the west side of the Big Su...........

Or the slough channel that runs on the far east side of the Big Su braids and goes past the mouth of Grey's Creek as you head north to the Susitna Landing? I would definitely be taking the slough channel from the Deshka Landing to Little Willow Creek, but it does not look like much to fish north from Little Willow until Grey's Creek but it looks like it would be faster than taking the main river channel towards the west side of the Big Su.

Boat would be the 20 foot Wooldridge Sport shown in my Avatar with 4 guys and day gear only.....

I am guessing a 2.0 hour run upstream if going fast enough to just stay on step.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

If I do it as planned this coming Monday, I will post how it goes for everyone.

you will have a channel near the little willow to move left (west) to the main channel....I don't know if it is easier, just the way I go...last fall it was the only way I found...now the water is pretty high so you'll definitely have more options....If you'd like the GPS coordinates to the cross over slough I can get them for you...I just ran through there last week.........didn't see any bears either..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I agree with tjm.. I don,t remember it being 2hr,s like 50mins, in my old boat, tjm jump in there with the time, So he doesn,t pack and extra 20 gal fuel won,t need, been 20 yrs for that to,They say the first thing to go is the Memory, can,t remember the 2nd thing.

Default Crossover Channel

TJM:

From the ever powerfull Google Earth, it looks like the crossover channel between Willow & Little Willow 61-47.5N, 150-10.6W is a very clear channel.....is this the one you mean?

versus the next one just northward of Little Willow which seems much smaller.....

thanks for pointers.

PS:

How do you find the time to get your boat out as much as you do?
    After I retire next year, I hope to do the same, but with kids and job I am lucky if I get out 6 times a summer......

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    61-47.5N, 150-10.6W is a very clear channel.....is this the one you mean?
    That's the one...With the higher water you'd probably be just fine with the other channel but if you're just going from point A to B I'd just use the clear channel....the coordinates I see on GE are 61D47'32.6"N -- 150D09'53.25"...that's the center of the channel where you'll take a left...

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    How do you find the time to get your boat out as much as you do?
    After I retire next year, I hope to do the same, but with kids and job I am lucky if I get out 6 times a summer......
    I too have a job and 2 little ones...lol...I also have a very long 'Honey Do' list that will probably never get finished...lol...basically I neglect everything I should be doing, including sleep, and load up the family in the boat and enjoy the summer......last year I was able to put 120+ hours on the boat....not one minute of trolling time...lol....just running around doing my part to deplete our oil reserves...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....