Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge for varmint, deer, hog...

Default Cartridge for varmint, deer, hog...

I've been thinking about a small all around use cartridge that has moderate range. On my mind has been 22-250, 243 win, 243 AI, 240 weatherby.

I know that those cartridges aren't all the same as far as performance goes... but tell me why I should choose one over the other, or why I don't need one.

Thanks, schmidty

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am not sure what “moderate” range means to you, but I tend to think of it as 200 yards give or take 50. I generally figure that under 150 is “short range” and suitable for all my lever guns while ranges over 250 are considered on the “long” side for my rifles and shooting abilities. In fact, my longest shot ever (that was successful) at a game animal was a caribou at almost exactly 250 yards. That said, I am rather fond of the Remington 260. Recoil is only slightly more than that of the 243 and the ability to shoot the 140 gr bullets will allow you to take on moose (provided shot placement is perfect) if the opportunity arises. The lighter weight bullets in 6.5 offer decent trajectories and velocities that should make it an excellent choice for smaller critters as well. On the down side, I have noted a serious lack of factory loaded ammunition available, so it is well on its way to being a hand loaded proposition.

I am personally not a huge fan of the 243 cartridges. I don’t hate them or anything like that, and have owned a few and even shot a few coyotes with them with great success, but I have always felt just a bit “under-gunned” when toting one around where I might get a shot at a dear sized critter. I have no doubt that they could and do “get-er done” on dear as evidenced by the large numbers of white tails that get toppled over by them every year. I would also throw the 257 Roberts into the mix. That one might be a good contender for what you are talking about also.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default All Around Cartridges

In my experience, once you throw hogs into the equation, you change the game significantly.

Not that a 100 grain Partition can't kill a hog, but that hogs generally are hunted in thick crap where settling their hash right away is desireable.

The bigger the hog, the more punishment they can take, even with excellent bullet placement.I've busted a couple of 300 lb boars with a 260 Partition...one at maybe 20 yards and the other at around 100.

The close one was not quite done even putting a 375H&H through his shoulder blades downward from a 10 foot tripod.

The second had his lungs pureed but still made it 100 yards before he checked out.Since it was last light, I did that follow up VERY cautiously with a round up the spout and safety off.

Something to think about with porkers.

7STW is right when you throw hogs into the mix. 30-06 is the minimum for me to carry hog hunting especially when it is in thick stuff and then I prefer a 300wby plus. Can you kill a hog with a 22lr? YES!! I have done it but I also hit a big 350 pound Russian boar in the boiler room with a 165gr out of a 30-06 and he went thirty yards before he hit the ground. When I hunt hogs in real thick stuff and because twice in my life I have been charged at close range by them I use my 300Wby with a 240gr Woodleigh and now that I have my 375Wby that is what I will use. I have killed them with a 257Wby and they have been kill with every cartridge you can think of, but I have been up close in front of real big mean ones and I want to use what will put them down and I mean immediately. Standing by a friend of mine in a swamp I saw him empty a 30-06 using 150grain bullets and he hit that hog 4 times and it was the fourth shot that put him on the ground. Leave hogs out I say the 22-250 or 240Wby. I own a 22-250 and yes I killed a 175pound hog with my 22-250. I would lean toward the 22-250 for varmints it is a real devastating killer.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What everyone has said so far is spot on. When you put hogs in there you change the game drastically. They are just tough little buggers!. I personally enjoy using my 308 on deer and smaller game. Flat shooting and tack driving accurate with good terminal ballistics. I'm not sure that I would want it hog hunting though. But then again, I would use my bow on one in a heartbeat.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Default 260

I am assuming you reload since you were considering the 240 AI. With that in mind I would have to agree with Alangaq and most definitely go with the .260.

If it werent for the hogs (I have no experience hunting these critters), I have had outstanding performance on deer, pronghorn, and a wide range of varmint with my 22-250. Better yet, go for a 22-250 AI. Like I said, I am only basing my knowledge on hogs from what I have read in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I've been thinking about a small all around use cartridge that has moderate range. On my mind has been 22-250, 243 win, 243 AI, 240 weatherby.

I know that those cartridges aren't all the same as far as performance goes... but tell me why I should choose one over the other, or why I don't need one.

Thanks, schmidty
    For me it would depend on where you did your hog hunting. Those I've seen or hunted in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas were generally shot in pretty open country and you could kill them with just about anything. Broadside shots were dead easy killers and made you wonder if all the tough hog stories were pure hog wash. Then I got into a hunt in close quarters and had to shoot one face on. Still died right off, but I was holding my breath. The jury is still out in my mind for my own hunts, but I'm not going to tell you to get something big and heavy if your hogs are going to be hunted in more open areas or if you're going to shoot hogs once in a blue moon while doing a whole bunch more deer and varmint shooting.

My favorite is not on your list. I've spent a lot of ammo in deer/varmint rifles and I've become real fond of 25 caliber, followed closely by 264 caliber rather than 24 caliber. You can get 120 grain Nosler partitions in 25 caliber while still shooting 75 or 87 grain bullets for your varmints. The 120 Nosler is a whole lot more suitable hog bullet than the 100 grain 24 cal 100 grain, and I've had great luck with it on deer. Haven't whacked a hog with the 100 grain 24 ca bullet, but I've whacked several with the 25 cal 120. It does the job.

Move up to 264 cal and you give away a little on the light end for varmints, but you can move up to 140 or even 160 grain bullets for your deer and hogs. I haven't done much varmint shooting with mine (a 6.5/06 and a 6.5x55), but I've whacked deer and hogs with both the 120 Nosler and the 140 Nosler. Those loooonnng 160 grain RNs should be dandy for close hogs, even if they aren't Noslers.

My pick of 25 cals are the 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI, or the 25-06. In my hands anyway the 25-06 was a little "thumpy" for shooting hundreds of rounds prone in an afternoon of varmint shooting, and the 257 Weatherby's I've owned never delivered the long range accuracy I wanted for varmints, even if they were dandy on larger game. My long-throat 257 Roberts delivers much the same ballistics as a 257 AI, and it's done the full spectrum of game you're talking about. Hands down, I'd recommend it over anything else for that particular mix.

Thumbs up 25-06

Hands down I would say the 25-06 would be my top pick. I've shot all game mentioned with mine in Oregon and never had a problem. Even 8lb. Rock Chucks at 300 yds or so couldn't handle a 87gr sp

Jake

I'll jump in with another .25 cal vote. The .257 Roberts, 25-06, or .257 Weatherby depending on your range and desire for something off the beaten path...pick one and enjoy great ballistics and minimal recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    In my experience, once you throw hogs into the equation, you change the game significantly.

Something to think about with porkers.

My vote is a .25 caliber weapon also, unless razorbacks are to be included in your mix also.

Then you need to step up to the .30 cal's. The wild boar's can take a tremendous amount of punishment. I have shot them with everything from a .45 auto to a 45-70 loaded with hammerheads.

I have personally seen a wild hog shot through the chest ( at 15yrs, held with hounds) with a hand loaded .454 using 360 gn hardcast's@ 1350 fps, put myself and two others behind trees. The are incredibly quick at close range and very mean. A shot down the spine while he was going away put him down for the count.

As for the .25's you can't go wrong with 120gn's in the 25-06 for deer and other similar size animals.

canemaker
    “The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental”. -- John Steinbeck

6.5x55...100 grain Ballistic Tips at about 3000 fps for Varmints, 120 Accubonds or 140 grain Partitions or Naturalis at 2700-2900 for deer/caribou/hogs/moose, 156 Alaskan/160 Hornady at 2550 for bigger bears...we will see this year how all those work (I hope)

Thanks for the responses, but i left out a little info i guess. I already have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag, so I don't feel undergunned for anything. But I do feel I have a niche that needs to be filled with a smaller bore rifle, and thats why I listed the calibers I did. Not that I would be opposed to a 25 or a 6.5x55. So if big hogs are in the picture i'll just take my 7mm.

Now does that change anyones answer?

Default Still a 25...

Nope. As long as you have a trusty 22lr

243 Win. loaded with 85-grain TSX bullets.

Thanks for the responses, but i left out a little info i guess. I already have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag, so I don't feel undergunned for anything. But I do feel I have a niche that needs to be filled with a smaller bore rifle, and thats why I listed the calibers I did. Not that I would be opposed to a 25 or a 6.5x55. So if big hogs are in the picture i'll just take my 7mm.

Not in the least. With ONLY a 7 and a 338 in the house you NEED a deer/varmin caliber, and probably a dedicated varmint caliber too. But I'd get the combo first.

I'll still stand by the 257 Roberts or 25-06, but the 6.5x55 in the right rifle would be just fine, too.

I've owned roughly half a dozen each 243's and 6mm Remingtons over the years, and still own one of each. Love them both, but the heavier bullets available for 25's and 26's put them a leg up when it comes to versatility. Take that from a guy who lets the 24's come and go with some regularity, but still owns three- no wait. Make that four 257 Roberts. Three bolts and a 760 pump. Once they come through the door I just can't seem to let them leave.

I still vote for the .25 from slower .257 Roberts to faster .257 Weatherby pick the one you think you want and enjoy. If you can't decide pick the 25-06 for a little of both...LOL!!!

Thumbs up 25.06

The 243 is a good deer rifle, it was my first. The 25.06 is a little better and a great varmit gun too.

25.06 & 100 gr TSX

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    Nope. As long as you have a trusty 22lr
    I sure do have a 22lr. The only other rifle I have is an SKS that I use for general plinking.

Seems like a lot of love for the 25's. I'll give them a look.

I bought my .257 WM for exactly the reasons you stated earlier. I have larger and smaller rifles but I was looking for that deer /varmint combo gun fast with little recoil. I went with the .257 because the round has always intrigued me, but you certainly couldn't go wrong with 25-06 either and it would be easier to find ammo...I reload so that wasn't a factor.

How about a .35 Whelen. Reload with .357 mag pistol bullets for varmits, 200 gr for deer, 225's for elk, 250's for bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast