Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early

Default Is it too early

To start talking about Silvers?

I use to not appreciate the Silvers so much because I first learned to catch them in a less than lawful manner which I have not done in over 20 years. Plus I used to catch a lot of Kings. I have caught two kings this year so far. I remember years past I would have caught twenty by now. I like the way a King will pull you and not just the pole so Silvers always took second fiddle.

This year is a lot different. I have fished hard for very few Kings and I am greatly looking forward to catching Silvers. I am thinking that I am just now realizing how much fun I had the last times I went Silver fishing.

I have even cured a bunch of King eggs this week to use for silvers (even though I like to use shrimp more cause it causes less mess). Half the fun of using eggs for Silvers is curing them yourself.

Well about 26 more days.

I can hardly wait.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    To start talking about Silvers?

I use to not appreciate the Silvers so much because I first learned to catch them in a less than lawful manner which I have not done in over 20 years. Plus I used to catch a lot of Kings. I have caught two kings this year so far. I remember years past I would have caught twenty by now. I like the way a King will pull you and not just the pole so Silvers always took second fiddle.

This year is a lot different. I have fished hard for very few Kings and I am greatly looking forward to catching Silvers. I am thinking that I am just now realizing how much fun I had the last times I went Silver fishing.

I have even cured a bunch of King eggs this week to use for silvers (even though I like to use shrimp more cause it causes less mess). Half the fun of using eggs for Silvers is curing them yourself.

Well about 26 more days.

I can hardly wait.
    I think we should start a "take a girl fishing" Silvers are by far my favorite fish to catch

I usually use Vibrax for Silvers but when I walk down the Lil Su I like to toss a pixie into the water for the Silvers to ambush.

I usually use Vibrax for Silvers but when I walk down the Lil Su I like to toss a pixie into the water for the Silvers to ambush.
    i am so there. Nothing like hitting a silver in the head with a big ole pixie!!

This year the kids and I are making our own spinners which should be fun.

Some of the spinners have loose blades which will allow me to freefall the lure. That should make the Silvers go nuts!

It’s some what hard to talk silvers when the Kings are in… But good King eggs do make good silver bait….

This year the kids and I are making our own spinners which should be fun.

Some of the spinners have loose blades which will allow me to freefall the lure. That should make the Silvers go nuts!
    Ohhhhh Don't tease me with such information!!! I see a fishing trip in my future??!!!?? You have to redeem yourself from the king fishing!!

Silvers on a fly and silvers in the saltwater are two of my favorite forms of fishing. I really love the way a silver can dive on you in the salt when they're not bound by the banks of the river, but the aerial show they put on in a river is pretty spectactular as well. Let's throw in a few pictures!

Here is one of my wife's silvers from our second anniversary, spent on the water in PWS.

Of course, mine was smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Ohhhhh Don't tease me with such information!!! I see a fishing trip in my future??!!!?? You have to redeem yourself from the king fishing!!
    If I am able I would like to do a Silver trip with you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Silvers on a fly and silvers in the saltwater are two of my favorite forms of fishing. I really love the way a silver can dive on you in the salt when they're not bound by the banks of the river, but the aerial show they put on in a river is pretty spectactular as well. Let's throw in a few pictures!

Here is one of my wife's silvers from our second anniversary, spent on the water in PWS.

Of course, mine was smaller.

Awesome pictures Brian. Just remember when the little one gets bigger, you will be out fished by two!!

Its never to early to talk about any type of salmon!!

That being said I have yet to catch an elusive dime bright silver; only been able to catch red ones ... but that will all change this year

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Its never to early to talk about any type of salmon!!

That being said I have yet to catch an elusive dime bright silver; only been able to catch red ones ... but that will all change this year
    Aug 5th or later a 1/2 jighead with strong hook and a berkely gulp 4" minnow would most likely pull a dime bright Silver off the Valdez city dock.

O.K i give up,,,,,,, is this silver enough
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default The most fun silver fishing

I have ever done was out of my sea kayak....Thumb Cove in Rez Bay.....man those things would shoot out of the water and dance like a ballerina, then dive straight down, under the 'yak, around it, pulling me to and fro! What an awesome catch that is, because you are right at sea level......

Default silver / yak = big fun

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    I have ever done was out of my sea kayak....Thumb Cove in Rez Bay.....man those things would shoot out of the water and dance like a ballerina, then dive straight down, under the 'yak, around it, pulling me to and fro! What an awesome catch that is, because you are right at sea level......
    I dont have silvers here in the desert but i do have 30+ pound carp they pull like a tank drag me all over in my yak, lots of fun but i will never eat one if they tasted like a silver I would eat them for shure.

catching Silver in the ocean is the best. I love to fly fish for them with the pink polly wog. Top water action at it's best.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Here's a couple of nice ones from trips past.

This nice girl was caught just below the confluence of the Russian and Kenai in the first week of September.

And this sea bright lice infested chrome hen was caught in the Anchor during the third week of September, 2003 I think.
    She BBQ'd up real nice that evening.

Sept fishing on the Russian/Kenia is awsome. Hardly no people on the river and once you got your limit the Dollies and Rainbows action is hot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Sept fishing on the Russian/Kenia is awsome. Hardly no people on the river and once you got your limit the Dollies and Rainbows action is hot.
    That's exactly why I plan my trip when the bulk of the tourists leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    That's exactly why I plan my trip when the bulk of the tourists leave.

Also at this time, I take my kid down with me. We fish in peace and I can take the time to teach him the basic of fishing. I have taken him two years in a row now. He also looks foward to this time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast