Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Sanctuary Open

Default Russian Sanctuary Open

Sanctuary will open Thursday 6/26 at 8:00 am. Anyone wanna take me fishing??!!!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Sanctuary will open Thursday 6/26 at 8:00 am. Anyone wanna take me fishing??!!!?!?!?!?
    I'll be at the Russian tomorrow night...just got back....really slow by cottonwood hole. Only 1 hook up for me....I heard there was more action by the sanctuary though.....I have to head to homer tomorrow a.m. otherwise I'd be in....

How will the Russian be at about 5-6 pm after the Sanctuary opens? I have a Kenai charter scheduled for Thursday and would not be able to get there until then.

Thanks,

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    I'll be at the Russian tomorrow night...just got back....really slow by cottonwood hole. Only 1 hook up for me....I heard there was more action by the sanctuary though.....I have to head to homer tomorrow a.m. otherwise I'd be in....
    Maybe we can hook up for the second run of reds on the Kenai. Have ripndrags sinkers I am just dying to use.

I have been using Mark's sinkers as well....'member, I was THE FIRST with the FW....sinkers work byutifilly!!!! So you're gonna hit it first thing am huh? shame shame

I have been using Mark's sinkers as well....'member, I was THE FIRST with the FW....sinkers work byutifilly!!!! So you're gonna hit it first thing am huh? shame shame
    That is soooo wrong. I was going to ask the guys to cut you in the deal since you where the "first one: to use the FW. Just remember I was the first girl the use the hooligan now. Which I find a little disturbing. Was ripndrag sending me message that I can only catch "little" fish"? so he sent me a small board? July 19th it is on!!! So sorry he will be out fished by a girl!!he he Where you gonna be at around the 21st of July?

I should be in state....have no idea on that specific day though....that would be a Monday....just don't know - probably around Anchor Town....
    why?

Cool out fished

I think mabey you might out fish me.....NOT..... just have to wait and see it should be good fun did you say you weere gona be at swiftwater....?no hints sent with the hooligan board just thought it would be fun and it fit in the envelope..... july 21st I will be in homer fishing halibut and again july 24th out of deep creek but no other plans

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    I think mabey you might out fish me.....NOT..... just have to wait and see it should be good fun did you say you weere gona be at swiftwater....?
    Got my secret spot....PM sent

Default For what it's worth

The bears are definitely out on the Russian....had one cruising the banks tonight.....about 25 feet in front of me....go prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    I think mabey you might out fish me.....NOT..... just have to wait and see it should be good fun did you say you weere gona be at swiftwater....?no hints sent with the hooligan board just thought it would be fun and it fit in the envelope..... july 21st I will be in homer fishing halibut and again july 24th out of deep creek but no other plans
    Son has basketball camp week of July 21-25. Will be on the Kenai somewhere after that. I'll keep in touch

Default Reports?

Well does anyone have a report from the day's adventure.

Must have opened with a bang! Anybody on the board make the opener.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Saw some video on Channel 2 news tonight. Looked like folks did all right but man on man. They people were packed in the tighter than the salmon from what I saw. Im glad the water is up on the russian for now as it will be a little tougher to stand accross the mouth.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Saw some video on Channel 2 news tonight. Looked like folks did all right but man on man. They people were packed in the tighter than the salmon from what I saw. Im glad the water is up on the russian for now as it will be a little tougher to stand accross the mouth.
    I am sure this weekend would be just as crazy, if not worse. Thats why I am heading North

Yeah, I drove by yesterday evening and man was it stacked and packed!!! NOOOOO Thanks!
    I am contemplating hitting the midnight opener tonight on the Willow....anyone game?

Yeah, I drove by yesterday evening and man was it stacked and packed!!! NOOOOO Thanks!
    I am contemplating hitting the midnight opener tonight on the Willow....anyone game?
    I was thinking of going to the mouth of Sheep. Don't know about the midnight opening. Was thinking maybe 4:00am Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I was thinking of going to the mouth of Sheep. Don't know about the midnight opening. Was thinking maybe 4:00am Sat.
    The idea of a midnight opener is to get upriver to your spot and be on the water fishing by 4am b4 all the others show up....in the past I have already had 3 or 4 hookups by 4am.....just waiting to catch a bigger king. But this year, who knows.....Just hoping the fish are actually there?!?!? Don't even think it's worth taking the cataraft because I don't think the kings, if there, are that far upriver....though I do want to float the upper willow for 'bows at some point....

Default Thursday Night

We fished the sanctuary from Midnight to 3 this morning. Fishing is slow but there are fish. I had my 3 in about an hour with 4 or 5 unintentional released! Partner couldn't get that last one. There were a LOT of people that weren't getting anything! If you've done it before you'll probably get your limit, If your new it might take awhile.

I was there for the opener. I even made the news! I'd walked it the day before and there weren't near the fish in there that I was expecting. A good portion of those fish must have pushed up a bit Wed. night as there were very few people with limits for a normal weekday and practically none considering how packed it was.

Hooked up and lost a couple in the sanctuary before I got sick of combat-fishing and walked down to the bend on the Kenai. There fish are there but you have to work for them more and more everyday.

Jon

Default two hours to get 3

Fished from 8 to 10 on Thurs nite. Very crowded from the mouth of the Russian down to beyond the ferry. Difficult to manuever, and lost several trying to horse them to the bank, but there are fish if you can get enough room to work. Fish seem a little bigger this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast