Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Directions to Eureka?

Default Directions to Eureka?

I was wondering if anyone could give me directions to Eureka from
    Anchorage - how to get there, where to park, etc. My wife and son and I are relatively new to four-wheeling and we wanted to check the place out.

Simple. Follow the Glen past Palmer, Sutton, Chickaloon, Matanuska Glacier, Caribou Creek, and then you are in the home stretch. You will see the gravel pit to the left about 30 minutes past pincohle (Lions Head), if you cross the Lil Nelichina you've gone too far. Once you are at the gravel pit unload the atv's and follow the trail at the south end of the gravel pit. You could go for days and not hit the same trail twice, awsome trail system.

The Alaska ATV Club is going there for th4 4th of July weekend. It will be my famlies first trip there. PM me for more info.

My field notes:

Take a map!

Have a GPS and KNOW how to use it. A compass backup is a good idea also.

Carry spare fuel (especially if you plan to go past Monument).

Expect rain, snow, hail, and possibly winds.

Be ready to spend the night.

Stay in the middle of the trail. The water is not really that deep, the bottom is hard and braiding makes the place look like hell.

Respect the miners.

Grayling are in most of the creeks.

Cell phones only work for a while. Having an accident can be deadly. Ride smart.

Have a great trip! Eureka is one of the best rides that you can make.

Note: The gravel pit that Water_Gremlin is referring to is shortly after the Eureka Lodge on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Note: The gravel pit that Water_Gremlin is referring to is shortly after the Eureka Lodge on the left.
    Yeah, there are markers for the snow plows on both sides of the side of the road similiar to light poles 77777777777. They go up and curve over the road. Pass those and you went too far.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Yeah, there are markers for the snow plows on both sides of the side of the road similiar to light poles 77777777777. They go up and curve over the road. Pass those and you went too far.
    Hey Big H have you been in Eureka since that trip we took?

Glenn Hwy mile post 130, parking lot on the left, have fun, just came out trail was very wet.

Here's a pic of those poles:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/wasilla/R70eFGl...U/img_0793.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DanAK View Post
    Glenn Hwy mile post 130, parking lot on the left, have fun, just came out trail was very wet.
    Which creeks did you cross? How high is the little nel? THX.

Actually, how about a trip report

Heres a condensed trip report, I went in on Saturday it was a nice full sun day, trail was wet but drying up good, old man creek has water this year last year it was almost dry, a few mud holes but doable, old man hill is no problem, crooked creek is melting the ice dam but still have to go around the ice water is at a normal level for it, trail is good to monument, a couple of easily passable spots where the dozer's sunk on the back side of monument, monument is ok one spot is soft and will bog you down in the steep part but should dry up fast, the swamp at the bottom of monument is ok, but wet and will tear up for being as wet as it is, the Nelchina on the way out yesterday was muddy and about 40" deep, I went up over the muddy trail toward the Tyone, its pretty tore up, and really wet, I doubt a wheeler with a trailer would make it very far, probably a challenge for a wheeler empty, I got stuck in one spot on the way out, didn't see any way around that spot, mud was deep and no bottom there (44" tires) the Tyone was at a normal level and had ice left from overflow in places, only saw a few Grayling, probably the water is still too cold for them as of yet. spoke with Andy, he says there is a ice bench by the Nelchina by the red fox trail that has the trail blocked for now. it rained Sun, Mon, Tues am. the sun came out Tues pm, and Wed. I made it back to the Yacko and went downstream to the second mine.

Heres a condensed trip report, I went in on Saturday it was a nice full sun day, trail was wet but drying up good, old man creek has water this year last year it was almost dry, a few mud holes but doable, old man hill is no problem, crooked creek is melting the ice dam but still have to go around the ice water is at a normal level for it, trail is good to monument, a couple of easily passable spots where the dozer's sunk on the back side of monument, monument is ok one spot is soft and will bog you down in the steep part but should dry up fast, the swamp at the bottom of monument is ok, but wet and will tear up for being as wet as it is, the Nelchina on the way out yesterday was muddy and about 40" deep, I went up over the muddy trail toward the Tyone, its pretty tore up, and really wet, I doubt a wheeler with a trailer would make it very far, probably a challenge for a wheeler empty, I got stuck in one spot on the way out, didn't see any way around that spot, mud was deep and no bottom there (44" tires) the Tyone was at a normal level and had ice left from overflow in places, only saw a few Grayling, probably the water is still too cold for them as of yet. spoke with Andy, he says there is a ice bench by the Nelchina by the red fox trail that has the trail blocked for now. it rained Sun, Mon, Tues am. the sun came out Tues pm, and Wed. I made it back to the Yacko and went downstream to the second mine.
    LN is 40" deep, that's atv floating depth with a current Did you cross right there at the base of monument or go upstream and cross where it braids and is shallower?
    Were there boo around the Yacko or are they further in? THX

I crossed there at the bottom of monument, saw some nice bulls out by Yacko near the 4th of July creek cutoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Hey Big H have you been in Eureka since that trip we took?
    Yeah once or twice maybe. A buddy and I went hunting there but I don't think we went back far enough. Saw a bunch of moose cows and a caribou cow and calf but no bulls. We plan on going back I think July 4th weekend. You wanna come along or lead a few guys?

Yeah once or twice maybe. A buddy and I went hunting there but I don't think we went back far enough. Saw a bunch of moose cows and a caribou cow and calf but no bulls. We plan on going back I think July 4th weekend. You wanna come along or lead a few guys?
    Sure I'll tag along Let me know.

DWS, a bunch of us are going to Hatcher Pass this weekend. One of the guys that was in the planned July 4th Eureka ride is going to Vegas and the others wife is pregnant so they both backed out. I do however think we will be going the weekend of the 13th. Well, let me rephrase that. I"M going one way or another that weekend; with 'em or with out 'em.

H

DWS, a bunch of us are going to Hatcher Pass this weekend. One of the guys that was in the planned July 4th Eureka ride is going to Vegas and the others wife is pregnant so they both backed out. I do however think we will be going the weekend of the 13th. Well, let me rephrase that. I"M going one way or another that weekend; with 'em or with out 'em.

H
    BigHinER,

I believe we rode together once with AKsoldier (the time our "little" rider fell in Friday Creek)...I am planning a family camping/riding trip to Eureka for the 11th, 12th, & 13th. I will have the 5th wheel, Rhino, and Grizzly. Not sure which gravel pit (left or right) we will camp in but stop by and say hello. If you are camping for the weekend feel free to drop anchor next to us. It will be our first ride at Eureka. Any advice would be welcome. I will have cold beer and a warm fire ready if you stop by and say hello. Hope to see you there!

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Yeah, AKSoldier was one of the guys that had to back out. I hope he can make it that weekend. I'll be there.

H
    You missed a great time We went in thursday afternoon and camped on different rivers everynight. It was in the 80s with nice breezes to keep the bugs away. Got a suntan, that was summer, summer is now over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast