Thread: McCarty Ak/ Kennicott AK??

Default McCarty Ak/ Kennicott AK??

Has anyone ever visited for pics? Im heading to Valdez in early July and was wondering if its worth the 5 hour drive from Valdez?

The photos online look AWESOME! But its all of the same thing. Just wondering if the drive up is scenic as well.

its in one of the parks...

I forget. Wrangells? something like that?

thanks,

Jonathan
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I went to Kennicott two years ago and loved it. The 60 miles of gravel road isn't the best but it was quite the experience. McCarthy feels like stepping back into an old western and Kennicott was unlike any other place I had been in Alaska. The structures are remarkably intact and they were in the process of restoring some of the buildings while i was there. Unfortunately when we got there it rained the entire day so I wasn't able to get alot of pictures of the surrounding mountains and such but I have heard it is beautiful. We camped next to a bridge that crosses over a ravine about half way between Chitina and McCarthy and it was a blast.

"its in one of the parks..."

Wrangle - Saint Elias is the largest park in the US. Coupled with the neighboring Kluane Park in Canada it's the largest park in the world.

Interesting place. I'll be there tomorrow to start a raft ride to Cordova. I think it's pretty scenic in a lot of different ways.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

gO .. go go go go go !!! have the time of your life. the ride is wonderful all sorts of interesting things to see and enjoy !!

I promise you decades of memories from that one trip that you TOOK THE TIME to capture !! go for it.. did I mention that. ??

You will not regret it one bit.. I have lived in Valdez, GlennAllen and have been all through those areas.. wonderful way to spend a day, week, month or more.!!

I believe that you will have to park your truck at the end of the road, and then ride a bus or something. At least that's what a lady told me last wekk when i was at Chitina. She told me that she didn't take the bust, because it was late in the day, and she didn't want to stay overnight.

McCarthy is Worth a visit. My wife and I did that run and I gotta say that the 60-mile road in is one bumpy trip. The wife had a broken leg and we could not find a ride into the mine. So we did not finish the trip the way we wanted. Worth checking out though.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Just got back. Very picturesque place. The van to the mine is $10 and leaves downtown McCarthy every 30 minutes. There is a free walking tour of the mine that takes 30-45 minutes, but for another $25 you can have the guided tour that gets you inside some of the buildings.

The road was in pretty good condition, but changes as the summer progresses, and the time since the last grading expands. Take your time & photograph the scenery along the way. Be sure to stop at the Kuskalana Bridge to walk out & throw rocks, or just shoot pictures of the river below - way below!