Thread: shipping fishing gear to AK

Default shipping fishing gear to AK

Coming to AK from South Carolina for the first time next month and need a little help. We have done our homework and everything is ready to be packed. I was wondering if anyone has some advice as to who to use for shipping? We are wanting to ship some items over to avoid carrying so much on the planes. Our final destination is Petersburg. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bring it with you, in PVC piping.

Default shipping

sent you a p.m.

I used the US Post Office - 2 day express mail. Shipped 8 rods in my Plano rod tube that was 63" by 5" round and it cost $51. That price also included $1,000 of insurance. Got there the next day. They also do priority mail which is even cheaper than that.

USPS is definitely the way to go. Every other way is much more expensive. Just go to usps.com to find the post office closest to where you'll be staying and send it general delivery to that post office (address label: your name, second line = General Delivery, last two lines = post office's address). Then don't forget to take your stuff back to the post office before you head back home.

With the new airline baggage fees as well as most things in AK costing quite a bit more than the lower 48, I'll be pre-shipping just about everything this year (including a lot of non-perishable food). If you use baitcasters, they make some good two-piece baitcasting rods now and shipping them for your trip would save a lot of money (instead of getting up there and buying two or three rods you'll pretty much be stuck with when it's time to leave). Last year I shipped six or seven rods (baitcasting, spinning, and fly) in a 5.5ft tube to Dutch Harbor. The cost to ship them was $17 each way. I think the length limit is 70"... So yeah, you could stuff a 5.5ft one-piece rod into a tube but a rod of that length in AK is basically useless.

Anything you ship needs to be kept under 108 inches (length + largest girth area of package). The oversize fee is through the roof so don't think about shipping a box that adds up to even 1/4-inch over 108.

Also remember to find out the hours of operation for whatever AK post office you send it to.... I got burned last year because I sent it to the Unalaska post office instead of Dutch Harbor's post office (Unalaska closes at 1pm on Sat and Dutch closes at 5). I got into town at 3pm and it really sucked to not be able to get my rods until Monday.

I would not recommend shipping your stuff to some post office near the ANC airport. I say that because you'd probably be in a pretty big bind if your package(s) ended up at an Anchorage p.o. other than the one you specified on your address label (ANC has around 50 post offices). In other words, I strongly recommend shipping it to an AK city that only has one or two post offices in order to greatly lessen the chances of your stuff becoming MIA to one degree or another. I just checked.... Petersburg has just one post office: 1201 Haugen Dr, Petersburg, AK 99833, (907) 772-3121, 9-5:30 M-F, 2-4 Sat.

Things to pre-ship that could save you a lot of time and make things more convenient (depending on what you plan to do on your trip, lodging you "have to" have, etc): blow-up mattress, tent, waders, wading boots, hiking boots, rods, canned food, toiletries in bottles over 3oz that aren't allowed on plane, flip-top cooler, etc, etc. *Just use cooler as your shipping "box" and stick it in a real box before taking it to post office. You'll have a good cooler during your trip (instead of $10 grocery store styrofoam cooler) and have max protection for your stuff during shipping. And you can use it to ship some of your fish back home.

Ship it Priority... Will arrive in 2-3 business days (four at the very latest). Don't waste your money on Express. And don't send it Parcel Post because it might not get there in time even if you send it three or four weeks in advance... price is only a few bucks cheaper anyway. Of course insurance would be a good idea.

Good Luck, Tom

Thanks so much for your help! We are needing to ship our camping gear and other items that we could not get on a plane and your help will make it easier. Thanks again for all your advice!

Default Kodiak

I was considering shipping some stuff when I go to Kodiak this summer. I'm guessing the rates are a little higher to get a package to the island, but has anyone shipped to Kodiak that can tell me if it's similar to shipping to the mainland? Anything special I should know?

USPS rates are the same for the whole state, whether Anchorage or Adak, Nome or Nushagak. It may take a bit longer for the remote locations.

Default pain

Shure sounds like a big pain, and then u woory about loss. Id see if there is anyone who rents equip. save $ for shipping fish home.
    fshrman

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHuntsman View Post

I would not recommend shipping your stuff to some post office near the ANC airport. I say that because you'd probably be in a pretty big bind if your package(s) ended up at an Anchorage p.o. other than the one you specified on your address label (ANC has around 50 post offices). In other words, I strongly recommend shipping it to an AK city that only has one or two post offices in order to greatly lessen the chances of your stuff becoming MIA to one degree or another. I just checked.... Petersburg has just one post office: 1201 Haugen Dr, Petersburg, AK 99833, (907) 772-3121, 9-5:30 M-F, 2-4 Sat.

Good Luck, Tom
    You can ship something general delivery to a specific post office in a large city easily. Go to USPS.com and click on "locate a post office". Find the 5 digit zip code of the post office that you want to ship to. Simply ship it general delivery to that city, with the zip code that you found + the zip plus 4 of "9999". The zip +4 of 9999 indicates general delivery.

I have done this for several years. I ship UPS to myself for pick up at the terminal in Ankorage. Works great both ways! Will call hours are a little different there so call ahead. Also, you can add insurance to cover your stuff.

Good Luck, Jim

It took three days for my rods to get from Dallas to Unalaska (Dutch Harbor) last year. I imagine anything further west would take another day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    USPS rates are the same for the whole state, whether Anchorage or Adak, Nome or Nushagak. It may take a bit longer for the remote locations.

I believe you. But I wonder how often freight handlers don't bother with reading the extra four numbers (at the same time they don't notice it's a general delivery package). Just seems to me like a package could sit around for two or three days (or longer) at whatever distribution center before someone finally notices it's got to be taken to a specific ANC post office. And if they don't notice until a Friday pm then it's probably going to sit around another 2.5 days. That's fine if someone shipped a week in advance of their trip... not fine if they shipped two or three days in advance.

I just think the one city/one post office option is a safer bet (maybe not much but at least a little bit).

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    You can ship something general delivery to a specific post office in a large city easily. Go to USPS.com and click on "locate a post office". Find the 5 digit zip code of the post office that you want to ship to. Simply ship it general delivery to that city, with the zip code that you found + the zip plus 4 of "9999". The zip +4 of 9999 indicates general delivery.

Adding up letters and packages (both business and personal), I have around a thousand mailings a year. They end up losing 1-3 mailings a year, some years none. And they've never lost anything of mine that had tracking (delivery confirmation or insurance) and never lost a big box or rod tube. Going all the way to Alaska to depend on rental equipment holding up seems like way too big of a risk to me, especially considering most places rent out stuff that's mediocre at best and has seen its fair share of saltwater. Why buy expensive/quality gear if you're not going to use it where and when you need it the most?

With all the extra fees airlines are charging for "extra" baggage and USPS charging the same cheap rate no matter where in AK you ship something, pre-shipping now seems like a no-brainer to me. And it's actually nice to travel light instead of lugging stuff through two or three airports coming and going. I'm pretty sure the USPS loss rate is much, much lower than that of the airlines anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fshrman View Post
    Shure sounds like a big pain, and then u woory about loss. Id see if there is anyone who rents equip. save $ for shipping fish home.