Thread: Anyone live in Ketchikan?

Default Anyone live in Ketchikan?

Hi,
    I'm sorry to intrude as this is not a fishing question. My husband is seriously considering taking a job in Ketchikan, and I would really love to speak to someone about what it is like to live there year round. We live in the New York City metro area so it would be quite a change! We have 3 young sons (under 5 years), so they would be attending school and preschool. I have read things that make it seem like a nice place to live but I haven't been able to find someone to give me the inside dish on year round living. If you could help me, I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    -Catherine

Default lived in summer

I have on lived there in the summer, try and get a hold of Johnny with muskeg excursions, believe his name is Muskeg man on here, he lives there. Also on 24horcampfireforum.com there are some that live in Ketchikan

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mommymaci View Post
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to intrude as this is not a fishing question. My husband is seriously considering taking a job in Ketchikan, and I would really love to speak to someone about what it is like to live there year round. We live in the New York City metro area so it would be quite a change! We have 3 young sons (under 5 years), so they would be attending school and preschool. I have read things that make it seem like a nice place to live but I haven't been able to find someone to give me the inside dish on year round living. If you could help me, I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    -Catherine
    I might not be the best one to be answering your questions because I believe I've been talking to your husband (James?) so you might have 2nd thoughts of asking me questions. If it's OK with you go ahead and PM me and I'd be glad to answer your questions and I'll try not to be biased.

Dean

Default 10 year Ketchikan resident

Moved here 10 years ago from Washington state. I have 4 children (all older than yours) and now own my own business. It was an adjustment, and I expect would be a larger one for you and your family. Weather, shopping, and entertainment activities would be drastically different from what anyone not from here would be used to. However, it has many pros; extraordinarily safe (crime rate is ridiculously low), beautiful surroundings, and when you go anywhere, there's always someone you know. Our road system is 35 miles long, only way on or off the island is by plane or boat, but that's what trips down south and internet shopping are for. Any further help I can provide, just ask. ... and that's another pro; people here are friendly and helpful. Hope this helped a bit.