Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: russian river - how do you handle this

Default russian river - how do you handle this

down to the river bright and early to avoid crowds - 3 folks at the river access I chose getting ready to go in. I was ready so I passed them and started fishing in a likely spot. They didn't like that much. First guy was a nice 10 or 12 feet upriver from me. 2nd guy about the same down river. No problem right? 3rd guy steps in 3 to 4 feet from me.

I said just a little close for casting (nobody else on the river in this spot). He get sarcastic and starts casting basically right on me. Lo and behold he hits a fish right away with his snagging gear. Naturally the fish proceeds to get tangled around my feet - the fish gets away and the hook is now in my leg. This fellow then assaults me, hitting me in the chest and trying to push me into the water.

I really think they might have been Alaskans sadly but might have been experienced "48ers". They were rigged out with HEAVY snagging baitcasters, beads on the 2 0 hooks. Nobody told me guys like this own the river....

So here is my question. How should someone handle this situation? Are you pretty much out of luck unless LE is standing right there? Do I need to bring my own gang? What happens then? Do we get out the bike chains and baseball bats?

If you were actually assaulted, then go find a trooper and report them. Additionally, if they were using beads (which I believe are illegal in the Russian?) you should report them to a fish and wildlife officer, who are also sworn troopers.

As for your decision to fish there, I tend to consider a stretch of river taken if someone is obviously getting ready to fish it. I don't condone their behavior or blame you for their reaction, of course, but I would have fished elsewhere. Just because someone isn't standing in the water doesn't mean the spot isn't theirs. It's a long river and there is plenty of room to spread out, so there's no sense in crowding in on someone who is preparing to fish.

Default Fight for your right

You have every right to protect yourself and if you are scared for your life you can use deadly force to do so.

If someone starts punching me - I would fight back with every means that I have.

No one has the right to lay hands on you. I would not done anything just monitored then and got a description of them and there vehicle and reported the to the Troopers.
    Deadly Force, just remember this is your last resort...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Bear Spray works on more than just bears!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Bear Spray works on more than just bears!!!
    Amen to that one!

Beads are not legal in the russian. There is a reason it is called fly only. I think after 15 august you can go to beads. Id have to get the regs out of the truck to be sure. I know all i use is flys for bows and reds there. Now if some yayhoo started thumping on me I have to say it would not have been pretty for either of us. Expecially with the room you seem to have given him. 26 years on that river and the crap that goes on still amazes me. For heavens sake people they are just fish. More will come up. I must admit, I might have ended up locked up after that one for giving him a monkey bump sandwhich. Especially if he did that stunt with my wife or my wife there. Then again I might have had to stop my wife from "adjusting" his attitude. I do like the bear spray idea though. I would have had a good laugh watching him flop around in the water after being sprayed.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I will put up with alot but not laying hands on me. I would have done what you did. Nothing. One more asault and it would have been game on and then its playing for keeps.

never mess with an old Marine. they dont have the time or inclanation to mess around.

I second Brian on this one. On sat I waited until 7pm to fish the confluence. It was still very crowded when I got on the water after walking from Grayling. Anyway I watched a little bit and saw a couple looking like they might be finished. I sat down in the sun, and just had a good time watching people for about half an hour. Once the two guys actually put some stuff in packs I asked them if they were leaving. They said they were so I moved into thier spot. Lots of room around but maybe the guy upstream didn't like it he kept his drift right at my feet. Since he didnt' actually hook me or tangle me I ignored it. If he had I would have moved. It doesn't pay to deal with Jerks. You never know who you are messing with, and it's easier to go to another place.
    Given you didn't act like a real jerk either and just wanted to fish, I'll give you a couple places that are less crowded if you pm me.

Also did anyone see that Tree fall down at the end of the cut bank wayyy after the ferry crossing sat night at about midnight? It made a huge racket, and I was worried someone might have been under it.
    Have a great night!

Default yup

I've seen many situations get close there but never actually two people getting "into it". Sorry you had such an experience.

Several years ago I took some family down there and the upper portion of river was devoid of fish but there were a few in the sanc. so we made our way down. Found a stretch with some room and some fish, everyone was hooking up periodically and a fellow comes walking along and would jump in wherever someone hooked up and was fighting a fish. He did this to one particular fellow several times, I noticed and was watching things escalate until the original fisherman starts waving his fist and talking about teaching some respect to this guy. I still get a chuckle out of it. The place can be a zoo.

Default Bear spray on humans...

I'd be careful about spraying a person with bear spray unless it was the last resort. The saleman told me the stuff in the cannister is twice as powerful as what the police use in theirs...

Of course he could have just been looking to make a sale.

Default Bear Spray is shorter

lasting than a Bullet.

Default things happen out on the water too...

maybe fifteen years ago my dad and i were trolling off the banks of seward just past the old ferry dock behind the sealife center. there was these two young fellas about in there early to mid twenties. both had beer cans at there feet. they started casting and were blatantly trying to hit us. when they missed they would reel up real fast and try again. well maybe the second or third time both hooks came into the boat. the first hook just barely missed my face, the second bounced off the gunwale and the guy jerked and the hook dug square in my fathers shoulder. they were laughing and carrying on. my dad cut the line and headed towards shore. when we hit the beach all hell broke loose. these guys werent so tuff after all. the cops were called and the fight was broken up. my dad hopped back in the boat and we continued fishing. when we got back to the camper i watched my dad cut the snagging hook out of his shoulder and patch him self up like nothing unusual happened that day. when my dad was dying i would give him spongebaths, and everytime i saw that scar , i couldnt help but smile...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    lasting than a Bullet.
    Yep, and disables the attacker while you round up the cops so that on top of the evil pain he's in he gets a nice set of chrome braclets and a possible record to boot. There is no room in society for @#$%^ like this!!!

Default They could charge for the entertainment

Wherever salmon are in the rivers, there are guys fighting it seems. I remember my Dad and some guide squaring off on the river bank at a steelhead hole down in Oregon one time. It's bonus entertainment on top of the fishing.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default That's why

I generally carry my pistol there. Sure, helps me feel better protected from Bears...but also helps in that people generally leave me alone. Sure they crowd, sure I am polite...but I certainly don't get the rudeness this poor guy encountered....

Fished the Kenai and Russian from the mid 70's to the late 80's. Quit after that because just too many boats and rude people. About 10 years ago I decide to make an overnight meat run to the Russian just for old times sake. Find a perfect opening and wade out to start fishing. Everyone is just stripping line from their reels and flipping the drift. No problems. Then this Ahole comes along and decides he wants to fish here too. He doesn't have waders so he is 10' behind the rest of us. Also it is a small cut bank so he is about 4' higher than than the rest of us. He is about 20-30' upriver from me standing on the other side of a big cottonwood tree. He has what looks like a surf casting rod and starts casting as far upriver as he can but not towards the opposite bank, instead keeping it close in towards the near bank where we are all fishing. Well he is tangling with people every drift and even knocking off people's hats with his line drifting thru. Everyone is *****ing at him but he could care less. Every time his drift ended, his line and fly would be drug across the front of my waders. After about 15 minutes, as his line was being drug across my waders, he thought he had a fish. One big yank and his fly was embedded in my eyebrow. Saw him reeling up the loose line so I did a couple of quick wraps with my right hand and held it to my chest. He tries to set the hook two more times and then looks around the tree. I yell to him "I've got your fly in my face". He says " I'm glad you have it, I thought it might have been snagged and I was going to lose it". As he (and everyone else)watched I cut his line off at my hands and again by the fly in my eyebrow. I coiled up his sinker and line and put in in my pocket. I then hiked up to him and he says " Can I have my fly back?". I gave him the friendly "Alaskan Headbutt" and dropped him like a rock. As I went back to pick up my backpack and leave, there was a chorus of applause and cheers the likes of I have never heard of since. I have never gone back there and never will. Went back to my pickup and cut the shank of the fly, pushed the tip thru and pulled out the rest.

Arcticfox77 - I can really appreciate your story regarding your dad. I love those kinds of memories. Thanks.

People get thrown in the river around here, punched,sworn at,knives pulled, just about anything you can imagine. Then again, we can have 25 people in one hole chasing 3 or 4 spawned out fish. I can't wait to leave.

I think I would have thump on him too as he was thumping on me.

Basically I am nice to the extreme and would back away from a fight at riverside. That is because I am armed and save my fight for gunfire.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I had an experience last year on Russian. This lady kept hooking my line, not paying attention and not"going with the flow", well after hooking into my line about 4 times, I got out my clippers and cut her line. She didn't learn...came back again, hooked me for the 5th time and when I whacked her between the eyes with my fly rod, I had no problems. Except for the language of her fellow fisherman which I couldn't understand.....Thats when the one finger wave comes into play, and decided fish wasn't worth the hassel and went to camp.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast