Thread: Converting inboard to outboard???

Default Converting inboard to outboard???

I was considering the possibility of pulling my ford inboard with older OMC sterndrive (235hp) out of my boat (24ft Thompson) and filling the transom with new wood and glassing it in. I'm looking at having a bracket built across the transom and motor mount (pretty stout) with width and strength for a 200hp Evinrude or Honda. I the space where the engine was I'd like to place another fuel tank. This seems a bit expensive but would add years of more economical use to this great old boat. Is it feasible or completely stupid. I've seen one boat converted this way but never heard how it worked. Ideas?

There was a thread about this a year or so back, you might want to search for it as we discussed pro's and cons.

If you could find a competent naval engineer to figure out what reinforcements your transom needs, as well as calculating out the balance of the boat, and then finding a good shop to do the work, you'll find it isn't likely cost effective. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see the engineering and hull work to run at least $10k, then engine, tank, fittings, steering another $20k.

Will the end result be $30,000 better? Would you be better off selling the boat, taking that money and $30,000 and putting it into a newer boat?

Old boat upgrades and retrofits almost never make economic sense. They typically take way more time and money than you'd planned, and the end result isn't nearly as good.

For $30k you could build a 24' tolman jumbo, suzuki 140 power, basic electronics and new trailer. You'll have a great boat, and signifigant fuel savings.

Is it feasible or completely stupid. I've seen one boat converted this way but never heard how it worked. Ideas?
    I would definitely say that it is feasible and not stupid, it is actually getting more and more common. I Googled outboard bracket and there are quite a few places to get them, I also found this, you might want to check out:
    http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=148&Item id=49

Even though it is very feasible, I would have to agree that building a Tolman would be a lot more satisfying. I hope to get my GA-28 started soon.

Default Thanks

That article was really useful. I have an older Thompson with a ford turning an old OMC 800 strendrive. Parts aren't getting easier to get. The boat is in great shape new cabinets inside and lots of extras (radar, plotter, sounder, radios, plus the fishing ammenities). I have it set up just the way I want it. That boat is tough and I have so much confidence in it even in rough stuff. The only problem is tired motor and hard to fix outdrive. A pal offered me his 200 Honda 4 stroker for a song so....
    Once the thought process began I liked the idea. Just thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for the help.