Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man I feel for the DCU and TMA sheep hunters!

Default Man I feel for the DCU and TMA sheep hunters!

The weather for the last week has been about as bad as it can be. Everyday I look up towards the mountains in the Alaska Range and its just plain dark(black skies and you cant see the mountains)! The winds have been near 40mph for the last 3-4 days here in Delta, I cant imagine what its like inthe mountains. Hope the guys in the mountains brought the best gear money can buy! Man mother nature can be cruel!

As I look out the window I am both glad to be home and glad that I got my sheep in the Wrangells when I did. Although the weather was terrible at times I never had to strip raingear off to get in the tent at night. We had rain, snow and sun but our worst weather never lasted all that long. As I hunkered down in our worst snow storm I was surprised after 2 hours to feel the sun on my back. It was in that sun that my partner took his ram. Good gear can never be overlooked in a sheep hunt, but I think you are right in mentioning this year in particular. The two stand out pieces I want to mention are my new Wiggy's Mountain Hunter sleeping bag and the Jetboil cooking system. Neither would I want to do without. Also, Patagonia is coming out with a new guide pant in early 2007 that my partner and I were able to get prior to release and let me tell you, they were amazing. When it was sunny and 70 degrees they breathed at a level never experienced before and when it was cold and rainy they kept us warm and dry. They never came off on an 8 day hunt. A simple pair of silk weight underwear under them and we were set. I also tried out some new gear from Swazi out of New Zealand and was favorably impressed.

Good luck to everyone heading out in this stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got phenomally lucky myself and filled my DC827 'bou permit up by Ferry last Saturday night while setting up my camp. I was able to get out of there Sunday morning. The creeks up there have got to be incredibly high by now. I'd hate to still be stuck up there in this weather.

Default weather...

Great post and congrats, Shortmag, fantastic old ram!

We caught a break in the clouds too and tagged on opener, our fears of impending weather apparently were well placed.
    Suffices to say we all love the thrill of the hunt and time in the mountians, but sometimes its nice to "git'ter done!" Especially when the first week is a monsoon.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008 at 23:12.

i know a few guides who have cancelled sheep clients cause of this weather, i was out in it for a week, waiting to see the mountian up in the talkeetnas...never really did. moose hunting on the rivers will be interesting this year with the water level so high.
    someone mentioned the JETBOIL stove, man that stoves has been the best investment i've made too!! awesome.

A definate congrats is in order to the guys that were able to get in and out early with Rams, there have been some nice ones taken. I myself had decent enough weather to hunt till the 12th but saw no legal rams. Saw 9 rams total, 2 3/4 curls but no takers! I do feel lucky to have been flown out when I did though, cuz I cant see anybody flying in to the Alaska range in the last week in the area we went to, the weather has been downright nasty! Been contemplating another whack at it still this season, but Mother Nature's got me undecided right now, well see.

The weather is sucking some serious ass. It was snowing on the way back from Glennallen. I'm glad the snow wasn't sticking on the roads as I'm still cruising around on my 22s.

How are things in the Chugach right now, right outside Anchorage in the Flat Top area? I'm suppose to go next week.

Well, I'm not headed out until September 1 (not to TMA or DCUA either). Hopefully we will have decent weather. The good news is that our air taxi, who is pretty much the only one operating in this particular area, told me that he doesn't expect any hunting effort in our spot between now and the 1st. He also reported hauling out a real whopper this season!!

Default Is this weather unusual?

I really feel for everyone who is missing out on an entire hunt or a large portion of their hunt due to this weather. Weather is always a factor but this current stuff seems over the top. I don't know very much about Alaskan weather patterns but the next 10 days call for some sort of rain around Anchorage. Is this unusual for late August? Is the Chugach socked in as badly as the Alaska range? I hope this pattern changes soon!

Default unusual weather?

In living here in Alaska over the last decade we've learned that extremes are the norm. If it isn't 6 million acres worth of smoke in the summer air, its 11 weeks of summer rain, or snow in June as we had recently.
    Or its untold millions of stinging yellow jackets and baldface hornets hijacking every home and yard, as was the case this summer...its always something.
    One has to just plan something and go for it. Like AKcub said, good equipment helps level the playing field, but rest assured, Mother Nature always has home court advantage...

Thats the truth Frank. And just thought I'd chime in that it was 32 degrees this morning in Delta, the boys had a chilly one last night in the mountains!

I remember seeing weather like this back around '92 or so, we had 3 weeks of rain without a single break. It sure made hunting difficult but we had to adapt and over come, which we did. We're headed out on the 2nd for sheep, hopefully the hunting gods will shine a littel sun down on us and bless with good weather................oh yeah, and nice full curl ram too!

Unhappy '92

If I'm not mistaken I heard that was the year 25'' of snow fell on Sept 9th and never melted!
    Hundreds maybe thousands of hunters were stranded and digging through it.

Unhappy Crap

Thanks full curl that is exactly what i wanted to here as I board the airplane for anchorage then delta junction. But I am suppose to be out by the 4th.

see you guys at 1015 tonight

Smile hang tough, guy.

My bad on the last post--probably not the best timing of that one.
    Keep the faith, theres a full curl waiting up there for ya and we expect to hear about him!
    Be safe, be well.
    Frank

Red face '91

My bad, i'm pretty sure that was '91 when I still had my old pos Suzuki 250 which I promptly floated down california Creek......twice and busted the wood stock on my 270 Winchester. That was back in the day before caribou went to a draw in that area. What a nice fun, wet hunt that was!!

Went for a ride in Knik Valley Saturday, I miss the days when rain was a heavy sprinkle that never ended (seemingly) rather than the regular big drop rain we get now.
    Alaska weather just is.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Talking DCU Hunt 8th-19th

We just got back from DCU. Went in on the 8th, got out on the 19th. Had planned on going up the Gerstle to July creek as I had been there 3 years ago. However we ended up only going as far as Bradford creek instead. It was coming up but not very fast. Got 2 rams. Weather was not as bad as it seems to have been everywhere else. We had a combo of sun, hot, rain, wind, calm, cool. All in all it was an awesome trip. Bradford creek is pretty gnarly, especially when you have to make several trips to get two rams out. It's mostly crawling, not hiking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Congrats Snyd, looks like all the hard work paid off!!! Let's hear the story bud!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast