Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Alaska Magazine

Default Hunt Alaska Magazine

I saw on the news this morning that the Fish Alaska folks are going to start a "Hunt Alaska" magazine next year. Fantastic idea!!! Here's an article.

http://www.aksuperstation.com/news/20666484.html
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I saw on the news this morning that the Fish Alaska folks are going to start a "Hunt Alaska" magazine next year. Fantastic idea!!!
    Yeah, I suppose if you can't actually harvest a moose yourself, at least you can amuse yourself by reading about it.

It's about time.... We need a good hunting magazine for Alaska hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I remember the old Alaska Fishing and Hunting News - that was a good publication. I hope they have a decent number of do-it-yourself articles and stories. Sometimes I grow weary of all the guided lodge-based fishing trips that they profile in Fish Alaska. I just can't get into a story that is based on a $5,000/week lodge visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, I suppose if you can't actually harvest a moose yourself, at least you can amuse yourself by reading about it.
    If I'm lucky enough to get a moose this September, I promise to post a story and pics so you can read all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    If I'm lucky enough to get a moose this September, I promise to post a story and pics so you can read all about it.
    Oh, that wasn't directed at you. Some of our members (jm*ahem*....) are a bit challenged when it comes to hunting.

Looking forward to the story and pics! Hopefully I can add one or two of my own this coming fall.

If it turns out to be another "kiss and tell" specialty rag, you'll HATE it if they get near your home or favorite hunting grounds. Move over and make room for lots and lots and lots of company.

If their how-to articles are nothing more that promos for major advertizers that "just happen" to have big ads in the same issue, they can write off their credibility.

That still leaves lots of room for a quality magazine for hunters. I'll be watching to see which way they fall.

If Fish Alaska is any indicator I'm not holding my breath. Here's how FA works: Articles have to be in a year ahead. Starting 5-7 months before the article appears they swamp destination towns with ad solicitations reading more or less "Your town is going to be featured in our upcoming issue! Don't miss out! Thousands of new customers are just around the corner."

Sad to say, editorial decisions and choice of articles for magazines today are driven by the advertizing department. If Hunt Alaska bucks the trend and writes for their readers and not their advertizers, I'll sing their praises. But if they follow the same path blazed by most other magazines today it will be a yawner of a magazine searching out your favorite hunting hotspot to feature in ads. Who needs another one of those?

Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you. Some of our members (jm*ahem*....) are a bit challenged when it comes to hunting.

Looking forward to the story and pics! Hopefully I can add one or two of my own this coming fall.
    Ouch. Here Brian, I think this knife you left in my back belongs to you. Thanks for missing the spinal chord though.

I've been out 1 season, for 3 days, so far. Not all of us are government employees that get 4 months of playtime off a year you know.

I've been out 1 season, for 3 days, so far. Not all of us are government employees that get 4 months of playtime off a year you know.
    Hey, hey, hey...easy there, buddy. No need to compensate for a lack of success by attacking others. Besides, my time off comes during fishing season, not hunting.

Hey, hey, hey...easy there, buddy. No need to compensate for a lack of success by attacking others. Besides, my time off comes during fishing season, not hunting.
    Since when did pointing out the truth that some people have part time jobs become an attack?

Since when did pointing out the truth that some people have part time jobs become an attack?
    Oh...alright, no more offers of moose meat for you! (Besides, I work a full time job, I just cram it into 9 months. If I could find a way to do my job in less than 60+ hours a week, I'd be a happy man.)

Oh...alright, no more offers of moose meat for you! (Besides, I work a full time job, I just cram it into 9 months. If I could find a way to do my job in less than 60+ hours a week, I'd be a happy man.)
    Now we get to hear about the poor overworked teacher act.

I wasn't taking it personally...I'm just trying to control my excitement, all you guys talking about sheep hunting and getting in shape has me jacked up, and I gotta wait until September for my moose hunt!

hey jmg - if you haven't picked up that .30-06 yet, you're welcome to borrow mine for a while...I'm coming up on August 31 and hunting with my .338, so my .06 is gettin a little lonely (can't hunt with a rifle where I hunt deer in maryland). I'd be happy to leave it with you, if you haven't picked out a rifle yet...

gee whiz jmg I'm with Brian. part time job lol!!!! Request a recess or a continuation or something I usually have to take days without pay to go fill our freezer so the wife doesn't skin me to fill it!!!! Thinking about the whole nurse thing... she works two-three days a week and her check is equal to mine. Maybe we could do the nursing school thing together jmg? then we'll both have time to hunt to our heart's content.

Too dang bad I like my job and students. ps it's only 3 months off if you don't count students calling you and stopping by for help on summer classes, recommendations, resume writing for jobs,

Now that the hijack is over I doubt it's going to be anything like the old Alaska Sportsman. Unfortunately (I'm not usually a pessimist) I imagine it's going to cater to tourist hunters (no I'm not bashing out-of-state hunters) with money to hire expensive guides and fill the expensive lodges. Probably not much for the majority of us who frequent here and enjoy DIY hunts to find helpful or entertaining.
    Last edited by rugger; 06-24-2008 at 19:16. Reason: additional smart alec stuff

60 hours a week? Haha. And for only 9 months a year? Bahahahaha. You call THAT a full time job?

You're union, aren't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    I wasn't taking it personally...I'm just trying to control my excitement, all you guys talking about sheep hunting and getting in shape has me jacked up, and I gotta wait until September for my moose hunt!

hey jmg - if you haven't picked up that .30-06 yet, you're welcome to borrow mine for a while...I'm coming up on August 31 and hunting with my .338, so my .06 is gettin a little lonely (can't hunt with a rifle where I hunt deer in maryland). I'd be happy to leave it with you, if you haven't picked out a rifle yet...
    Thanks md - appreciate the offer a ton. But I've got a Tikka T3 waiting for me in Wasilla. I am hoping to get out there this week or weekend to pick it up. Let's meet up when you're in town though.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    .......Sad to say, editorial decisions and choice of articles for magazines today are driven by the advertizing department. If Hunt Alaska bucks the trend and writes for their readers and not their advertizers, I'll sing their praises. But if they follow the same path blazed by most other magazines today it will be a yawner of a magazine searching out your favorite hunting hotspot to feature in ads. Who needs another one of those?

Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.
    You're right, and it is truly sad to see.

You drew the short straw. My lucky lady is a counselor and doesn't put in 60 hrs a week...On that same token, she doesn't get 3 months off. She will go back begining of Aug.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks md - appreciate the offer a ton. But I've got a Tikka T3 waiting for me in Wasilla. I am hoping to get out there this week or weekend to pick it up. Let's meet up when you're in town though.
    You got it man. Lotta people love the T3, you got a good rifle there.

weird thread that brian hijacked...geez

i'm with brownbear on this one, don't see this being something i'll be excited about. fish alaska is an ok read if i don't ever plan on fishing if i plan on fishing its not geared toward guys like me, i'm driving there and i need to know where the parking lot is and the name of the stinkin' creek not which area of the state its in...
    they could make a good magazine...but they'll make what sells, not neccesarily a good mag.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast