Thread: Newbie's - Prep Checklist

Default Newbie's - Prep Checklist

For the noobs - here's a simple checklist that will help prepare for the best kind of fishing on the earth:

DIPNET LIST

0 BONKER
    0 FILLET KNIFE
    0 Fillet Glove
    0 2 Sets of Clothes & Shoes
    0 Dip nets (small and big one)
    0 Waders
    0 Wader shoes
    0 Food – Snacks, Juice’s
    0 Knife Sharpener
    0 Kenai Keepers – 2
    0 Large Cooler
    0 Twine
    0 Garbage bags for wet clothes
    0 Fillet board w/holder
    0 Sleeping Bag
    0 Clorox Wipes for cleaning hands
    0 Zip ties for net repair
    0 Cash $200
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Question

Hope to head down in a few days, thanks for the great info and attitude towards us noobs.

Pardon my ignorance - what's a Kenai keeper?

Thanks,

jim

Default thanks

thanks alot Robb!!!!!

Default Kenai Keeper is....

Quote Originally Posted by thaxterj1 View Post
    Hope to head down in a few days, thanks for the great info and attitude towards us noobs.

Pardon my ignorance - what's a Kenai keeper?

Thanks,

jim
    It's a stringer belt; keeps you (and your fish) in the water; don't lose your spot and you don't make 30 trips in and out (exhausting); bleed your fish in the water, keep them fresh until it's time to process (clip fins and head/gut). Also, it's the only stringer (to my knowledge) that fish don't slide off of. Additionally, you pack 30 sockeye on one stringer before having to haul out and get to work on them.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Trustworthy Hardware

Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna has Kenai Keepers for those interested. I no longer sell individually (except where vendors aren't available). Check my website for vendor list.

This is a good product with about 4 years worth of positive reviews by users. It was designed for myself (a bit gimpy) and my father in law (a bit old) (sorry, Dad, had throw that in there). The tedium of in and out of the water can really wear you out; this helps considerably. This is a photo of the stringer itself, it is worn bandoleer (across the chest) or around the waist and has a quick release for those "sticky" situations (we've yet to hear a report of anyone needing to ditch their belt, but we think it may happen with Russian River bears).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Almost Fogot

You need a pair of gardening shears to clip fins!

Our family did well last year in Kenai, but I realized very fast that I did not bring enough coolers for my 55 allowed and had to stop at 29. I will bring more coolers this year.

Default one more important item....

How about adding a license to that list...?

...and also you dipnet permit! ...and also a pen.

Sunglasses!!

Default AH Yes... incidentals

Sunblock
    Butt Ribbon
    Wide brimmed hat
    Reflective tape on your hat/jacket (so you can be picked out by your group and found easily)
    Firewood (tinder and a few logs)
    Multi-tool (for fixing nets/handles)
    Spare hardware (screws/pins, whatever holds your net together)

hmmmmm..... I'm sure that there's more that I'm missing...

Default thanks

Thanks for the info. Can you get the dipnet permits (as a resident of course) from ADFG website or do you have to go to the office?

Carrs and Fred Meyer have them. Go to the customer service counter. Bring ADL and your sport fishing license.