Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shelter for sheep hunting

Default shelter for sheep hunting

I have a question for some of the experienced sheep hunters out there. I was wondering what the preferred shelter is for 2 hunters. We will be focusing mainly on the early part of the season, with the possibility of another trip later on in the season. Obviously, weight is a primary consideration. We have debated getting two separate one-man tents, or getting a 2 or 3 person tent. We are both fairly large, so a 2 person tent might be out of the question, because I don't really want to be that "close" to him. With a 3 person tent, we could split up the separate pieces between us to evenly distribute the weight. But with separate one man tents we would obviously just carry our own. One thing my buddy had been considering is the footprint of a 3 person tent versus separate one person tents. You would likely have more flexibility of where you camped with the two smaller tents than the one big tent. Also, what brand/model of tent do you recommend? Thanks.

A Megamid is 9x9 at the bottom but, head space is limited and there is no floor. They weigh 2.5-3lbs, have 1 center pole that is height adjustable. Add a bivy sack each and your set.

If you are unfamiliar with a Megamid, imagine a pyramid, that is exactly how they are shaped. They also shed the wind better than any other tent due to the profile. It is certainly a no frills shelter but it is very light compact for transport.

There are some 2 or 3 man tents that weigh little as well. Last year I purchased a "3" man tent from Cabelas that weighs 6lbs. It was a good buy but is actualy a "2"man tent room wise. It worked well moose hunting last fall when I couldn't afford the weight of my bombshelter that trip.

the big question, what is your tent budget?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I'll throw my thoughts in here, because this is an issue that my hunting partner and I have debated over the years.

Our last 2 hunts were spent in a 2 person tent that weighed about 5 pounds- it had one door/vestibule so our packs were dry, but it was inconvenient and crowded. I'm only 5'9" but he's 6'4"...so this year I picked up a new tent from REI- I believe its called the HOODOO 3- it has double doors and double vestibules, and optimizes space. I got it on a promotional sale for about $220- so the price was right. I've already used a couple times, once with him on a fishing trip and once with the wife and 13 month old and it has been fantastic!!

It weighs about 6 pounds, so we'll divide up the tent and rainfly/poles between us. Although the footprint is larger that a one person tent, I would recommend the 3 person tent...as long as you enjoy your hunting partner. As I'm sure you know, there is often a lot of time spent in the tent, and I find it much less boring waiting out the weather if you have someone to talk to...

I've heard a lot of good things about this tent: http://www.rei.com/product/761895
    With 5lb and reasonably priced, I am considering one myself.

Default Bivy

Go with a Bivy sack!

Here is a link to the Cabelas tent I mentioned earlier http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d=cat20103&rid=

I did make a small change to it on the ends. I had an old tent , cut two pieces from it and sewed one onto each end to extend the fly. Prior to that I noticed rain water would splash onto the tent proper, getting things a little damp. You'll notice this tent is near an exact duplicate of the REI tent listed by stepa.

Default lighter

you can find tents in the < 5 pound range (black diamond, mtn hdware, etc) and split between 2 people and you aren't carrying much. If memory serves, a decent rain proof bivy is 2.5 pounds or so.

I would say a 3 person tent. Depending on which one you get (how much money you spend) the weight isn't that much more and you get a lot more room. Keeping you and your gear dry will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I'll throw my thoughts in here, because this is an issue that my hunting partner and I have debated over the years.

Our last 2 hunts were spent in a 2 person tent that weighed about 5 pounds- it had one door/vestibule so our packs were dry, but it was inconvenient and crowded. I'm only 5'9" but he's 6'4"...so this year I picked up a new tent from REI- I believe its called the HOODOO 3- it has double doors and double vestibules, and optimizes space. I got it on a promotional sale for about $220- so the price was right. I've already used a couple times, once with him on a fishing trip and once with the wife and 13 month old and it has been fantastic!!

It weighs about 6 pounds, so we'll divide up the tent and rainfly/poles between us. Although the footprint is larger that a one person tent, I would recommend the 3 person tent...as long as you enjoy your hunting partner. As I'm sure you know, there is often a lot of time spent in the tent, and I find it much less boring waiting out the weather if you have someone to talk to...
    Although I haven't used it on a sheep hunt, the hoodoo 3 mentioned here is a great tent. I just bought it about 4 months ago. Plenty of space for 2. My wife and I and our 2 kids have used it and were fine on room. There is plenty of vestibule space, double doors, and the headroom at one end is fantastic. The weight is a little more than posted above - comes in at 7 pounds, which still isn't bad split up. I kicked the idea of getting around for awhile, and right after they had their "members only" 20% discount run, they put this tent on sale for a week for $169. Couldn't beat it. Here is a link.

http://www.rei.com/product/761889
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Tent Shelter

I've used all kinds of shelters and they all have their place depending on circumstances. I've gone with just an OR bivy sack, a Kifaru paratarp, a walrus one man tent, Eureka Alpen-lite 2 person tent, Sierra Designs Clip-flashlight tent, etc. My partener and I are test driving the REI T-3 this summer for potential use during sheep season. Will probably go with just the poles and fly. We're loving it so far.

Default sheep hunting "shelter"

http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

Here is where I have ended up getting most of my "shelters". I try to keep my 2 man tents to less than 4 lb, definitely less than 5 lb. After many miles you will find that every ounce counts. The last sheep I shot with my son we were 15 miles from the air strip. By then we had already hiked over 100 miles - my son added them up each night. One of the sheep hunter's mantra's is, "light is right".

Another thing to consider is the profile of the tent as it relates to wind. Camping up high can expose your tent to crazy winds, so it's nice to have at least one low-profile aerodynamic end to point into the wind. I had this tent in a storm that was measured at 110mph peak gusts at a weather station 15 miles away. It made it throgh the night unscathed with my feet pointed into the wind, and has endured many windy nights since while keeping me warm and dry.

Default Brian

What kind of tent is that? It looks like a treefrog from The NorthFace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    What kind of tent is that? It looks like a treefrog from The NorthFace.
    It's similar in design to that, though at the time it was called the North Face Starlight.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Go with a Bivy sack!
    Unless your not fond of enclosed spaces. I tried a bivy sack about 3 years ago, worst trip of my life didn't sleep a wink for 3 days, felt like I was suffocating the whole night.

Like many others I use a small tent Rated as 2 man.(who do the tent manufacturers base the 2,3 or 4 man tents on? Either allot friendlier folks than I, or folks of much smaller stature)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Tent

Nothing worse than 5 - 7 days of straight drizzle & rain and a tiny tent. Get a bigger
    tent for base camp and smaller tent or tents for actual hunt.

Default light and roomy

These are great if your always moving, love mine.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Default Base Camp vs. Going Light

hoosier,
    I think it depends on what your hunting style is. A larger base camp tent can be a little more comfortable. But that means you must expend, in my view, a lot of wasted energy going back to and from it everyday. Instead, a superlight tent allows you to work "up on top" and move your tent daily if need be. Now I mean a tent, not a bivy. I've done it both ways twice and prefer to stay on top, keep the elevational gain and go back to a light "base camp", or move it quickly if need be.
    The type of area you hunt may dictate which way to go. If in base camp, I still prefer one tent per person. Privacy is nice and snoring can be minimized yet you can still communicate from tent to tent.
    Lastly, even in some base camps I have found it hard sometimes to find a large enough area to setup the tent.
    Good luck.

Default consider

How about a pair of two man tents?
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-3-Season.html
    I have used this for backpacking with my 11 y/o son. He is tiny so there was a lot of room. The tent is easy to set up and well water proofed and very light.
    I usually use my old Walrus tent (Windshear) when backpack hunting but they have gone out of business.
    I don't know how wind resistant the Golite is. I would think about going with a light weight bag such as the Kifaru slickbag, golite or the slumberjack tour lite (don't laugh) with a liner. The weight savings would allow each of you to carry an ultralight tent. Bivys are fine but when it's really raining you dont have anyplace to put your stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast