Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're mother doesn't fish here.

Angry You're mother doesn't fish here.

Everyone, please, chop your carcasses, quit throwing mono and flys and lure packages and fast food garbage and all other trash on the ground or in the water. I'm ashamed and frankly saddened to go to fishing holes when I see the trash start as soon as the fishing season opens. You don't get the trash other times of the year. What comes around, goes around. Bye the way, caught 11 nice trout and 1 big Dolly yesterday, Sport's to Jim's.

Im gonna have to agree with you.

Last night, I was fishing at the Russian around 11pm. There was black bear headed my way about 100 yards away. I was fishing with the girlfriend and 3 other nice people.

When the bear came close to us, we grouped up to seem big and scary and the bear stayed there. It stayed because it was feeding on full red carcasses that were left ON SHORE!!!

I know most people dont leave them on shore, but I know for sure that if they are cut in 3, they flow down the river a lot better. This way, the pretty black bear doesnt have to stop every 10 feet to find one, and it prevents me from pooping my pants in a public area.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

No room for pigs! I am sad to hear it is everywhere, not just in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    No room for pigs! I am sad to hear it is everywhere, not just in the lower 48.
    Yup, They're called tourists....or as we call 'em here....Terrorists....

Pullin' the big honkin RV's and just stopping whereever...4 of them about caused multiple head-on collisions today in Sterling....stopping on side of road to see wood carvings, when there was a HUGE EMPTY gravel parking lot they could pull in. Instead, just sit there on the 3' wide berm, making same-direction traffic swerve into oncoming traffic to get by.....

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    This way, the pretty black bear doesnt have to stop every 10 feet to find one, and it prevents me from pooping my pants in a public area.
    Was it 'pretty' enough to hang on a wall???

There are plenty of resident slobs, so lets not put it all on the visitors.

Agreed that trashing our great outdoors is a crime, and so simple for folks to pick up after themselves.

And if we all spend a few moments to pick up others balls of mono it doesn't take much to keep the rivers and shores clean.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post

Pullin' the big honkin RV's and just stopping whereever...4 of them about caused multiple head-on collisions today in Sterling....stopping on side of road to see wood carvings, when there was a HUGE EMPTY gravel parking lot they could pull in. Instead, just sit there on the 3' wide berm, making same-direction traffic swerve into oncoming traffic to get by.....

Hey, I'm a tourist and hate to see trash and inconsiderate idiots as much as the next guy. I participate in the AK Flyfishers cleanup at Sportsman's in the fall. While not a member or anything I stop to help pick up other peoples trash, line etc. When I have some garbage that needs throwing out in the fall at sportsmans I carry it to the ferry parking lot and toss it into the dumpsters there, I don't leave it hanging on the fech at the launch or in the restrooms like so many filty losers do (many are not tourists by the way).
    I don't park in the middle of the road to look at tiny white dots at Beluga point causing traffic jams like some loser tourists do. I don't try to crowd other people out of their fishing spots or anchor my boat in a hole some one is fishing (Had a non-tourist do this to me and was not impressed, neither was the nice Alaskan couple fishing the same bar 70 or so yards down from me).
    Please don't paint all of us with the same brush. I may be a tourist but I treat Alaska as if it was my own and I treat all people with the respect they deserve tourist or Alaskan. I have met many good people over the years in Alaska both tourist and locals. There are bad apples in both groups, look for the good ones and educate the ignorant ones. All it takes most times is a calm word such as "you shouldn't take his spot while he is landing a fish" or "you know there is a dumpster over there" some people don't think or don't realise what they are doing.
    See you in September when all the "tourists" have gone home for the winter.

Most of the "fishermen" I see leaving trash around the river and intentionally trying to rip (snag) fish out of the waters appear to be local (just look for the "AK Grown" hoodie). Sadly, many of the scapegoated "tourists" have more respect for the resources of this great state than a lot of the people who call it home.

I agre with Paul, targeting the tourists as the ones who leave the trash behind is ignorant. There may be some that do litter, but don't put the blame on them.

If you have a problem with the litter, do something about it! I will always make an effort to bring an extra garbage bag with me and take it slow hiking out picking up every little bit of trash I can find. I understand that the occasional piece of trash may fall out of a pocket, but finding cans and bottles around that people are too lazy to pack out. If you see someone leaving a mess, say something to them.

I am from out of state and i would rather smoke a turd in hell than leave any trash behind!

Trash is left behind by both residents and non-residents so lets not blame one over the other. People just need to pick up after themselves and the rivers will be a much nicer place to fish. If you see someone throwing their trash on the ground tell them to pick it up and put it in the trashcan or put it in their pack. Turn their *****es in if you have too, I don't go down there to pick up after other people and neither should any of you. If there's nobody around and I find trash that's one thing but when their standing right there, get on their butts about it.

The wife and I did the lake to Jims on saturday. I filled up a 10 gallon trash bag with nothing but line flys and beer cans. The beer cans were not mine. I crush mine and put the emptys in my cooler. The upper was pretty clean but there are not so many places for it to get trashed this year. I did not stop at guardrail as i was not gonna take a number and wait to find a spot to land my boat but i can only imagine that place must look like a landfill. We cleaned up the island where the powerline emptys out including scrubbing the guts and blood of the tree that is there. Nice place to sit and snack, but not to be a snack. Lots of fish had been cleaned on that tree. The usuall amount at windy corner too. Mile 57 hole was not bad as far as trash but there and the braids have huge full carcess piles laying in all the back eddy's. Flesh flies worked nice floating behind them though and beads worked well on the lower too. Im sure it is residents and non as well as the guides need to make sure thier clients are picking up after themselves.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I live in MN and we were ice fishing and a group left a pile of junk on the lake. Disposable propane cylinders, paper, plastic bottles, beer cans and all kinds of crap. I picked it up and on the way off of the lake i see that they are in the resort bar. I pulled up and put it in the front of thier truck. I then went inside and asked who owned the truck and sat down with my buddies and had a beer and ordered some food. Well the guys comes in PISSED off. i just laughed at him. when others heard that he left a pile on the ice the people there pretty much ran him out of the place.

KGCPR

That is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. Awesome

Good on you

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post

There is also plenty of resident white trash out there. They're easy to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I live in MN and we were ice fishing and a group left a pile of junk on the lake. Disposable propane cylinders, paper, plastic bottles, beer cans and all kinds of crap. I picked it up and on the way off of the lake i see that they are in the resort bar. I pulled up and put it in the front of thier truck. I then went inside and asked who owned the truck and sat down with my buddies and had a beer and ordered some food. Well the guys comes in PISSED off. i just laughed at him. when others heard that he left a pile on the ice the people there pretty much ran him out of the place.

Great Job. That is classic and they got what they deserved for sure. Im sure you probably got a beer or two bought for you too. Id love to have seen the expression on his face when he opened the truck door
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That was kind of funny to see the look on the guys face when he came back in the bar! It was so worth it. The situation could not have been better. I was up fishing with some guys i was in the Marines with that live in SC, GA,TX and ALabama. I knew we could have held out own. we may be 50 but still know how to dance if the music starts. We drank for free all night. the guy who owned the bar was in the 1st Marine Division as well. so taps were on the house and many shots were bought by the guys in the bar. It was a great time to see them run out of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Hey, I'm a tourist and hate to see trash and inconsiderate idiots as much as the next guy.
    Okay, everyone cool off the backburners....First, I was 'generalizing' and I understand that not everyone fits into that category that doesn't reside in this state. We're all tourists at one point or another. When I am, I certainly respect the 'local' code/tradition whatever. Having been a guide for the last 8 years down in Seward, I have seen plenty of both rez/nonrez aholes screwing everything up. Best so far were the two NY Transit Cops that rec'd lifetime bans from the National Parks for the way they desecrated Kenai Fjords.....then tried to weasle out of it with their badges....

The tourist/terrorist comment was a smart-aleck comment more than anything... shoulda put the after it.

Better??

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Most of the "fishermen" I see leaving trash around the river and intentionally trying to rip (snag) fish out of the waters appear to be local....
    I gotta' agree, especially with regard to the empty alcohol containers.

That goes triple for Jim Creek.

Cigarette butts. Do people who throw them on the ground or out the window of their vehicle not think they're throwing down trash? That's probably my biggest pet peave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast