Thread: Sockeye Flies

Default Sockeye Flies

Does anyone have any good Sockeye patterns for Kodiak Island?

Not sure the pattern matters. While some sockeye have actively taken flies, you are in essence running the line by/through the mouth and hooking the mouth. All the fly color does for you is act as an indicator, so you can tie yarn on your hook and it should be fine. I use different color flies depening on water clarity and sunlight as some are easier to see under water in different conditions when site casting.

I like orange comets.

I have also seen reds take teeny nymphs, wooly worms, and wooly buggers (purple egg sucking leaches).

No flossing needed.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yeah, I have fished them before and have about 12-15 good patterns including the ones you listed, I was just wondering if anyone else has luck on others that I am not aware of. Seems like the smaller more sparsely tied flies work best.

Down here in Juneau, Red Hots and Sockeye Lanterns are the ticket. Dont know if they will work for you up there, but they kill em here.

Default Red Hots and Sockeye Lanterns

Do you have any pictures of them?

I think the Alaska Fly Fisher's fly book notes the green apple as well but I don't have my copy withe me... I use a version of the teeny nymph, he didn't invent it but that's not the point here. I also use comets. Sparse is the key with red flies and don't be afraid to get a little smaller with you patterns. Eyes seem to work good for pissing them off....
    River Runnin