Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boating in the Seward Personal Use Shrimping Area

Angry Boating in the Seward Personal Use Shrimping Area

I was cruising this weekend near Notah Island out in the Chiswells this past weekend. I saw a bouy coming up so I gave it a wide berth. As I past it I looked down in the water and saw a rope floating on top of the water just as I was driving over it. I pulled power and caught the rope on my outdrive. Luckily I was able to get it loose but I could have been screwed very easily. This individual had floating rope to his pots and bouy. There was at least 300 feet of rope floating on top of the water. I looked in the regulations and there is nothing about using sinking rope on pots. Did I miss something. Is there any law against this or is this just something I need to look out for? I took down the information from his bouy. If I would have had a sharpie, there would have been about a paragraph of words left on it to express my feelings.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

I don't know of any specific rules or regs that address floating line. My guess is that because the pots are in Seward, which only recently opened up to shrimping, whoever's pots they were just didn't know what he was doing. I believe the regs state that the owner has to have his phone number (or at least his boat registration number) on the buoy. Maybe you can call him to let him know. If the required information isn't on the buoy, then you might call Fish & Game and let them know and that it's a hazard because of the floating line. Maybe they'd take care of it. If I'd run through the line and it got tangled in my outdrive and I had to cut the line I don't think I'd feel too bad, though.

There is no regulation against using floating rope. I did it myself until my line did exactly as what you saw out there. I have switched to sinking line now.

The best thing to do if you use floating line is to add weight about 100 feet down from the bouy, to help prevent it from surfacing.

But...to answer your question...yes you do have to look out for this. You never know how people have them rigged up.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

You didn't need a Sharpie, you needed a Vickie.

NOT having floating is specifically mentioned in the EO for the Tanner crab opening :

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=958

. . . Each pot must have two escape rings with an inside diameter of 4 3/8 inches, meet the biodegradable escape mechanism requirements (5 AAC 39.145), and may not have any line floating on the surface except that portion connecting the main buoy to a trailer buoy. . . .

Default Trust me on this one...

There's more than one ignoramus out there using floating lines without weights...I used to be one until I had the brilliant flash of insight that said a 150ft of floating line probably wasn't a good thing with all of the boats that are out in PWS...I switched to leaded lines only.

You won't run into my lines out in PWS--guar-ON-teeed! I would think that one would only have to lose $300-400 worth of gear a couple of times before getting the clue that sinking lines are going to keep someone from chopping your gear in half...

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    There's more than one ignoramus out there using floating lines without weights...I used to be one until I had the brilliant flash of insight that said a 150ft of floating line probably wasn't a good thing with all of the boats that are out in PWS...I switched to leaded lines only.

You won't run into my lines out in PWS--guar-ON-teeed! I would think that one would only have to lose $300-400 worth of gear a couple of times before getting the clue that sinking lines are going to keep someone from chopping your gear in half...
    Hey, someone keeps stealing my pots! (would be the likely response they'd have if they kept losing their gear).

Default Vickie???

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    You didn't need a Sharpie, you needed a Vickie.
    Whats a Vickie?

Too bad I didn't have some flour and trashbags. Not like the owner would not have seen them floating on top of the water with his ropes. I did take down his name and the registration # of his boat. If his boat name would have been on them I would have hailed him on the radio.

I too do some shrimping but before I did, I read everything on this forum and asked potbuilder lots of questions prior to dropping mine. His setup, especially the ropes he recommended, are awesome.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Hey, someone keeps stealing my pots! (would be the likely response they'd have if they kept losing their gear).
    I remember last year a lot of people complained about stolen pots in PWS... Now I know why
    Next time if you think someone stole your pots ask yourself if you put a floating line on it

If someone's line wraps around my prop, I'd probably cut it to free my prop. I already had to free my prop from a floating line once and let me tell you it's not fun trying to balance on the back of the boat in bad weather.. at least I had an outboard, not sure what I would have to do if I had a prop under the boat...

Vickie

Most folks opt for the conventional vs. serated blade. Great knife for $5-6, a serrated one in the anchor well wouldn't be a bad idea.

Default Dinghy -platform for working under swim step

I think the floating liners should be retrieved and turned in to the devil himself! If they don't have the name and proper info like there suppose to on the bouy AND they have floating line, its yours for an Alaskan shed decoration. Also, those low-visbility little white fender floats in a high traffic area should be shed decore. And further more... What are the odds that the class of people who are able to get out in PWS are shrimp pot thieves? I think the people that say there pot is gone don't understand tides and think there rope is longer than they realize. Launch your dinghy and get at that outdrive easily compared to hanging off the swim step, you can see it all and reach it all -REMEMBER tilt up!

Default I watched two differnt commercial boats

circle my floats last week. Both did 360s tightly around my bouys. One dropped a pot about 50 yards off, the other went back onto his orginal course, several hundred yards off.
    I use ground line, fwiw.
    Not sure why the second boat was examining my bouy's location, He sheered off when my boat came into view. Was he up to no good? Who knows? My boating prtner did loose his pots there the next day. So, were they lifted or did they drift off?

I wasn't totally convinced that there were really pot thieves in PWS until people started writing in about how they pulled their pots and found that the zip ties on the pot had been cut. If someone's williing and able to pull someone elses pots and steal their shrimp, then I believe they're also willing to steal gear.

It just seems insane to risk it all to steal shrimp of all things! You can buy some at the frozen food section for around what it costs in gas to idle there pulling a pot. My boat can keep up with most and go as far on fuel as most, if I caught someone stealing my stuff they could count on being followed to the next port or followed into the wilds of the ocean and what then? Being that bold in the middle of the ocean is crazy, someone may spot your rif-raf actions from miles away chase you down and teach you a lesson. I'm sure it happens, but it just makes no sense at all!

I agree that it doesn't make any sense. It also makes no sense to steal, murder, rape, etc. etc. But then again there are people who do it. Stupid people do stupid things. The day that I understand it is hopefully the day that someone puts me in the looney bin or prison.

we set our pots right by ester passage during a commercial opening there were 100 boats out there We had a commercial boat stop right next to our bouy look at it and then run there net from shore to right next to our bouy I think the only reason he didn't touch it was because we were fishing 200yrds. away and he read the name on the bouy and probably had second thoughts my buddy's boat name is "ANGER MANAGEMENT"

Default I may

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    we set our pots right by ester passage during a commercial opening there were 100 boats out there We had a commercial boat stop right next to our bouy look at it and then run there net from shore to right next to our bouy I think the only reason he didn't touch it was because we were fishing 200yrds. away and he read the name on the bouy and probably had second thoughts my buddy's boat name is "ANGER MANAGEMENT"
    have moved my pots. I kind of give the commercial guys a wide berth as that is their office space. They are trying to make a living and I am out there for pleasure.

I also am very carful not to run over their nets. The one incident I witnessed was in Main Bay. Someone had set a pot during an opening and the commercial guy pulled the pot and stacked it up on one of the buoys, which I thought was very considerate.

Just a thought.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

It the pots were stacked on a buoy last year, then I remember seeing that. Thought it was awfully considerated of whoever did it. If someone puts their pots out having no idea that the area is fished by commercial fishermen, then I can understand that. But if someone puts out pots in an area where the commercial fishermen are currently fishing, then they should expect to not find their pots where they put them.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    It the pots were stacked on a buoy last year, then I remember seeing that. Thought it was awfully considerated of whoever did it. If someone puts their pots out having no idea that the area is fished by commercial fishermen, then I can understand that. But if someone puts out pots in an area where the commercial fishermen are currently fishing, then they should expect to not find their pots where they put them.

It was and I agree. They are making their income and we are recreational as far as I see it. I find if you respect them, you shall receive it in return.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Akbassking....

AKBassking,

Your quote as follows;

"I kind of give the commercial guys a wide berth as that is their office space. They are trying to make a living and I am out there for pleasure"

Just a thought here on your logic...if you went to your hunting camp and found a guide in it would you "understand" and leave since he is out there to make his income and you are simply a "recreational" hunter? Do you believe the commercial fisherman and guides should get first priority over OUR recources?
    Again, just wondering your take on this.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast