Thread: Gulkana trip report

Default Gulkana trip report

I just got back from a float trip on the Gulkana river after the Deshka closed. Had been planning on a Kroto creek to Deshka mouth float for four days for kings and rainbows. Had to cancel my shuttle and change plans at the last minute. We were about four hours before we would be on the road and found out they were gonna close the Deshka.

We ended up floating the Gulkana from Sourdough to the Richardson bridge. We fly fished most of the way. But used quickfish and back bounced bait a fair share too. Only caught one hen on a fly on Saturday. Rained like hell on Sunday, caught no fish, but saw a guide catch 3 fish in 20 minutes using bait and divers. Guess that's the way it goes.

Caught a few rainbows, a jack and LOTS of grayling, but that was it. Maybe I'm missing something or it's just another case of the missing salmon of 2008.

Most people we talked to seemed to be having a hard time too.

Pulled off the river late Sunday night and drove the to a campground on the Klutina. We fished for 3 hours, didn't hook any and got on the road to Fairbanks around noon.

What's going on with the fishing this year?

I attached a picture of the hen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fished from Friday until Sunday night and did pretty good. Landed 16 and lost a few as well. No monster fish though. Most of them were hens and they were all in excellent shape. I saw quite a few rafts come off the river with fish though. Glad to hear you got to make a trip though after the Deshka closed, that's crummy it's so slow there.

snowcamo - You did that well from the shore?

Brian,
    I was fishing from a jetboat backtrolling roe. I did see quite a few guys hook up from shore though too.

Default Gulkana

Floated from the RV Campground to the bridge last Thursday. No luck. Was slow.

wow......guess I stink, that's awesome for you. I didn't know anyone was doing that good.

Default what boat

Snowcamo, what boat were you in ? We were camped on the lower river & saw a couple boats go by. It was nice & quiet & I think everyone was able to fish the holes they wanted to due to the lack of boats on the water?

Mkay,
    How did you manage the RV launch? That was the only dissapointing thing about the couple days we spent there was not being able to put higher then sailors.
    I went & talked to him & all he wanted to do is sell me on one of his charters or the $500.00 per week launch fee for self guided. Talk about californiacation at its best The last couple yrs we make one or two trips a year there & always paid to launch there. Wouldn't even camp there but would still pay the fees & now it seems like he has sold out to the high bidders. Oh well such is life it seems.

Default Forthcoming...

I'll be on the Gulkana with the Moose by the Fourth of July. If any of you run into me, I'll be the greenhorn next to the two savy fly-guys from Colorado in our party of four...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

AKmarmot,
    I was in the small Sprint Turbo Wave that was parked right by the fish cleaning table at the Richardson bridge. Stop on by next time and say hi. I'll be back down there over the 4th of July too.