Thread: Bear stole my camera

Default Bear stole my camera

Has anyone had a bear take their field camera. I am not new to bear baiting and have used field cameras for several years. This year I had a recent hit on my stand and it took my camera . At first I thought it was a person...no way, bear **** everywhere and it was ripped off the tree (not just removed) and my permit is all chewed up..barrell is empty and moved.
    After the season I am thinking of taking a buddy out and seeing if we can track and find their catches and maybe my camera....only thing I can think is maybe I got a little bit of bait sent on the camera last time I checked it.

Yep, I've had bears eat a couple of cameras and I've seen them reach up and shred the bait permit once as well. The bear that ate the bait permit seemed particularly pissed off to know we were in the area. He walked our trail all the way to the bait, sratched the tree we often touch when walking in then reached up and ate the bait permit, leaving it shredded on the ground. We have actually built steel boxes to put the cameras in. Be very careful to handle your camera before handling bait and you can reduce this, but an aggressive boar can still smell human scent and may eat it anyhow.

Default Bait station signs

I find it pretty common that bears destroy the bait station sign. They seem to follow my track back to the boat, during which time I pass by the sign, they obviously notice the contrast of the sign on the tree --curiousity? Every year they seem to take down my signs at my stations. This year I put up a trail cam, spray it with scent killer, and they saw it and moved it enough that it didn't shoot at the bait site. Too many bears, not enough moose!!!

Default Steel box

Think I will have to do that now. Have baited several years and have had bears to seem to actually pose for the camera..never had one eat one yet. Do you think the bear ate/chewed up the camera, or maybe grabbed it and took it somewhere for later? I am hoping to maybe salvage it if I can track it down,,,it was a couple hundred bucks...one of the nice ones with infra-red...hey lessons learned (and a hard one). Do you fabricate the boxes yourself? Or can you buy them locally? How much would you charge for one? Thanks for all the info

Default Permit

I have had bears mess/shred the permit before...but never eat the camera...
    Wish this one would have just played with it...I am a little pissed off

My permits have never been touched, but I have three trail cameras that have all been chewed on. And they still work.

Default Question

Matt:
    Did the bear chew on your camera and it was still on the tree?
    I just did a quick bait check, had to get back to go to work, and didn't have time to thoroughly look for the camera...found the strap but not the camera. Figured it walked off with it. Did yours take it off the tree and chew on it? Just trying to figure out if maybe it isn't too far...that is why after season I will take a buddy out with me and we can track it. I have a back up camera but don't think i will need it..only seven days left to bait and I have at least 3-4 days off...will pretty much hit it hard till the end of season...try and get a bear...maybe get lucky and the bear that took the camera willl walk back with it LOL

There's been times when the camera(s) was laying on the ground, but it was still strapped to the tree, but not by much. Most of the time, I just find the camera still mounted on the tree, but facing upside down or something.

I bought my metal box custom made for my camera off of Ebay. $40 I think. I had over 1200 photos of about 10 different brown bears and two black bear sows 1 with 2 cubs 1 with 3 and 2 black boars. I had nose/paw prints on the box but they never budged the two 4" lag bolts holding to the tree. They shreded my sign 3 different times.

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Has anyone had a bear take their field camera. I am not new to bear baiting and have used field cameras for several years. This year I had a recent hit on my stand and it took my camera . At first I thought it was a person...no way, bear **** everywhere and it was ripped off the tree (not just removed) and my permit is all chewed up..barrell is empty and moved.
    After the season I am thinking of taking a buddy out and seeing if we can track and find their catches and maybe my camera....only thing I can think is maybe I got a little bit of bait sent on the camera last time I checked it.
    I think the solution is to put up a pad with release forms and a pencil on a string. After all they think you should have asked first. As to the shreading of permitts. The State of Alaska has gone to great lenghts to train these bear to make you out of complience. The State needs your fines.

On the other hand, I could be wrong, maybe the bear just didn't like the pictures and thought you got them from their "bad side"?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Camera box

I have had friends make boxes using an old ammo can and some foam padding. Cut a hole in the side and bolt it on. Seems to resist all kinds of abuse.
    Chances are the bear carried it around until he either chewed it to a worthless mass or until he realized it provided no food and dropped it. Either of those scenarios could have the camera as close as 10 yards or as far away as 1/2 mile.
    I had a 2 year old brown bear grab my scope once amd chew on it a few times then leave it right there, hope your luck is the same.
    Good luck!
    Blair

Default cam

This was my first year using a trail cam and had several bears in, my cam was never touched but the group of guys I hunt with all had thier trail cameras either destroyed or knocked down 4 total. I dont know why mine wasnt touched I was really surprised. I could tell it had been licked but never damaged.

Default Bear Box

Is all i have to say is swivelsafe.com Never have to worry again I have 2 and the guy is great to deal with 2Thumbs up!!

who makes your trailcam? We welded the boxes up ourselves but I think stealthcam makes one for their cameras. Every one is different but i think more of the companies are having them made.

Smile Yes I have

I've had the same trail cam torn from the tree three time over the last 5 years. It still works and i usually find it under a bush within fifty yards of the bait. I've got a couple of strange pics out of it from time to time. be sure you do all you cam work before you mess with the bait or bring gloves to work on the cam with. If you use a cargo strap it tends to stay closer to the tree.

Default Boxes

Some good advice hear. Thanks everyone. Guess what I found my camera. Bad news is it was torn up pretty good. Not terrible, maybe it can be fixed. My camera is a Bushnell, I know they are pretty good customer service wise...maybe they will be nice and see if they can fix it....no major computer damage,,,just external,,,but still won't power up....will have to try some of your suggestions...thanks again