Thread: September in unit 1-C

Default September in unit 1-C

Hi All,
    I just found out I have a meeting in Juneau the 3rd week in September. I have never been to the south east and was wondering if anyone had any information on backpack hunts in unit 1-C. I was thinking deer and or bear but I don't have any idea if a backpack hunt would be possible. I will have 5 - 7 days to hunt , would a water taxi service be a better idea? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Default Juneau Hunt

Tough winter up in that area I've heard. My first thought would be to get a transporter to get you over to Chicagof or Admiralty but I would talk to the Biologist up there first and see if there are some areas that didn't get hit as hard. Good Luck.

Default Thanks!

riplake,
    Thanks for the info! I'll speak with the biologist and look for a good transporter in the area. Thanks again

I don't think management biologists are allowed to recommend particular businesses - guides or transporters.

But they can certainly tell you where winter kill has been most severe. This past winter wasn't nearly as bad as the one before, from my perspective. I think some of last year's fawns made it through this time around.

If you're interested in Admiralty or Chichagoff (both good options for September), you'll want to talk to the bio for unit 4 - the dividing line runs up Chatham Strait.