Thread: Russian River

Default Russian River

I heard talk the Russian is gonna get a little crazy here soon with the big push of Reds moving through the sanctuary. How true is that? How has every one been doing down there?

Default Russian Red's

I have limited out each trip....

From all reports I've read fishing seems to be average to hot. I havent read any reports of people getting skunked. Most are getting limits it seems and others are atleast putting one on the stringer for dinner.

If you dont know of this site be sure to visit it often! This forum in combination with the site will provide you with all the reports you will ever need

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...lerreport.html

Default Be wary of fishing reports

Limited out on reds on the Russian last Saturday. But it took time and a lot of work, even in one of the best holes below the falls. And I was having at least as much success as anyone fishing around me. (Several people I ran across while hiking back to Pink Salmon commented that they had seen only a few others guys with three fish.) The way all the AOJ reports made it sound, it was a fish on every cast down there!

Remember that its usually the guys who went down and kicked ***** and limited out in an hour that are inspired to write a fishing report -- not the guy who fished all weekend and got skunked

Default ditto

Everything chumstick said. I usually fare well down there and it looked like I fared better than most others and it took like 8 hours to catch my limit. There are fish but not that many.

Default Agree

I've fished both the Russian and Kenai the past 2 weekends. We did well both weekends, but had to work a bit for them. I know some people did better by their posts, but in comparing all of those around us, both weekends, most people were really struggling. Most recently this past Saturday we fished below the ferry on the hwy side (which is usually slower than the other side)----I didn't feel like waiting in line at the Russian, nor fishing elbow to elbow crossing the ferry. I only saw 3 other anglers on our side land a fish in several hours. Across the river, the usual good spots were producing fish more regularly for those in them, but other wise it looked rather slow. The Russian weir counts sure look a lot lower this year than average-----I'm beginning to get the feeling that the fish aren't just late. . . .but I hope I'm wrong.

Default Ummm ...

Weir count just spiked higher than any single day on last year's early run

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...L/qResults.cfm

Default Bull-hoooey!

The fishing is fine. I took all of five minutes to catch my first, two more minutes for the second and twenty minutes for the third. I'd recommend that you get the right gear and haul butt down there for some fishies!

IceKing02

Default Sanctuary

Wonder when they'll open the sanctuary. they opened it on June 15th last year with about 6000 fish through the counter.

Default Fishing is good to go

People need to understand the technique. I can not stress the importance of this. I have been standing next to others that are doing the same thing as me and my buddy and we have been catching them left and right over the last two weeks. They look at me and occassionally ask what the secret is. I try to explain to them that the color of the fly does not matter, it is the weight that they need to concentrate on. I have a great technique that works awesome, allows you to change weights to accomodate the current either add or subtract, as well as change out premade leaders. I will try to take a picture of this and post this later on or explain it in graphic detail.

The other factor is leaving it on the bottom as long as possible. Some just do the 2-10 or 10-2 depeding on what side of the river you are on. If you have about 4 or 5 extra feet of line in your left or right hand and slowly let this line out as it drifts down you get the maximum time for the fly to settle along the bottom and you can feel the weight bouncing as well. I have helped numerous people while down there and always enjoy helping these guys/gals learn the ropes. So many people get aggravated with learing the tech. Another thing that helps is having a 9or10weight flyrod, with this I can allow the weight and fly to stay longer than with my baitcaster, although i will admit I have more luck with my baitcaster as the mono line seems to obviously sink faster that the fly line. I started putting at least a 8-10ft leader on the fly rod to alleviate this and it works great. The last point is you have to follow the weight and lure and gradually move your rod slowly and gradually let out line to allow it to stay on the bottom going left to right or vise versa to keep the line tight and in line. It does take some practice but you will enjoy the fruit of labor at the end of the day.

Tech: On my main line I tie a figure 8 loop and leave it about 3 inches long. This allows me to slide on a 1/2ounce barrel weight (pinch the loop and run it through) once through run this loop through and around a swivel, no tieing needed, just bring it back on itself. This will allow the weight to slide up and down the loop hitting the either the swivel or figure 8 knot. Rides great in the water. on the end of your leader tie another figure 8 loop a little smaller and slide it through the other end of the swivel, pass the fly through this loop and tighten down. I enjoy making differnet lengths of leaders to accomodate different currents, the stronger the current the shorter etc. I normally make my leaders about 4 feet long, I know they say 18inches,,but trust me you will not catch that many with this,,,maybe some do.,.but this works the best for me and everyone i know that uses my tech. Plus it allows just that much more line to slip through the mouth of the fish. (Little math work but you get the message)

I can take pictures and send it to you if interested,,just PM me and I will get right on it. It works great,,,last week I was using 1/2ounce barrel weight and played with that for a while,,caught one fish and noticed that the guy down from me was lauching some serious weight into the water,,you could hear it,,,but he was catching fish left and right. I slipped off the swivel attached to my main line loop and added another 1//2 ounce,,BAM! FISH ON! caught many more after that. My buddy did the same thing and we wore our hands out on these guys.

Just my 2 cents worth and hope it helps.

H

Default Sanctuary opens Thursday 8:00 a.m.

Default Nice!

Glad I'm wrong. Good to see that big spike in fish! Hopefully they keep on coming-----including up north to spread us all out a little.

another 3K through yesterday. A total of 13,231 so far...

We fished the Russian the last couple of days and can say the fishing is good at times, but certaintly not as good as years past. Limits are easy to obtain if you work at it.
    As another poster reporter, technique is very important but even more important is your location. We had a "mark" where we tried to stand every time we casted in one particular area. If we were 3 feet away from this mark we could not hit the drift correctly and did not hook up.
    Pay attention to what others are doing around you and watch where they stand and where they flip. When they leave migrate over to the hot areas and enjoy the ride.
    Tennessee

Default another way to attach swivel

Edit: another way to attach "sinker" - not swivel

Is to just tie a surgeon's knot and leave the tag ends long - use splitshot or barrel split combo on the tag ends - hit a snag and the weights come off - you don't loose the whole rig. If your weights start coming off too much just tie a small grannie knot in the tag end to keep the split shot from coming off. Don't have to mess with Loops this way.