Thread: brooks range

Default brooks range

I have 10 days off the end of august and was thinking about driving up the haul road and walking in for sheep ill be taking my gun and bow. Ive looked at all the regs already so i no about the 5 miles and where the different areas are. I dont know much about that area and if theres even a good number of sheep to even be worth it. If anyone has any information id greatly appreciate it.

wondering how the caribou were that time too

Some places up the Ribdon, but may require 20+ miles hike.
    Important to remember mature eastern Brooks Range rams will generally weight from 200-220 pounds; hanging weight about 100 and boned out about 80 pounds.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    I have 10 days off the end of august and was thinking about driving up the haul road and walking in for sheep ill be taking my gun and bow. Ive looked at all the regs already so i no about the 5 miles and where the different areas are. I dont know much about that area and if theres even a good number of sheep to even be worth it. If anyone has any information id greatly appreciate it.

wondering how the caribou were that time too

You are going to be looking at a long hike in. Those sheep know when August comes people will be crawling all over those mountains. Caribou I don't what to think. 2 years ago, everyone around was tagged out. Last year, guys were lucky to have a bou.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Need information of boat access off of haul road.

Is there any access to rivers or streams off the haul road? I have hunted the Ivashak and the last few years it has been like a parking lot up there.

I've seen ewes and lambs in the road at Atigun Pass many times, but never any rams. A few times I almost hit them with the truck in blowing snow when I couldn't see them very well.

Get a map, pick a mountain, creek, or drainage and get after it. Theres no one place better than the next IMO and the sheep move around a lot. Nothing says you'll see a legal ram but if you dont try it, you wont find out.

thanks ya i figured i was gonna have to put some miles on im not to worried about that ill be in shape and im young and dumb . i was just trying to get any info i can. Ive taken 2 rams out of the chugach and ready to move to another range. Sounds like theres a lot of traffic up there that time a year. but i guess ur gonna get that most anywhere.

Just keep lookin. There are rams up there. You'll find em.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default 3/4 curls

I saw two 3/4 curl rams smack dab in the middle of Atigun Pass, right on the road when I was up there for caribou in late Oct. So there are definitely sheep around. But there is a big difference between a 3/4 curl ram and a full curl...

The most frustrating thing is when a just BARELY sub-legal ram walks all the way down the mountain to your camp, and you can't shoot. And seeing all his legal buddies up above.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 06-25-2008 at 16:27. Reason: misspelling