Thread: hides/horns across the border

Smile hides/horns across the border

Does any one know a reliable, economical way to bring hides/horns from Canada to the U.S? I have checked a few places but most people (especially the taxidermists that work in the outfitter's camps) charge an exhorbitant fee to bring hides into the country. One fellow I know was charged $800 just to have his green moose hide shipped from Canada to the US! That seems a bit outrageous to me. I understand that I will have to pay to get my hides into the country but I am trying to find the least expensive, yet reliable method of doing so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Check

with US Fish and Wildlife Service and the border patrol

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default check out....

Knight's Taxidermy under link for "expiditing"

http://www.knightstaxidermy.com/

Default hunt in the US

I don't mean to pick on anybody but why hunt in Canada and spend your money out of the country when there are Americans who could use the work and money. Also then there isn't any hidden expense such as import fee's. again just an opion and question not a judgement on anybody's action.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I don't mean to pick on anybody but why hunt in Canada and spend your money out of the country when there are Americans who could use the work and money. Also then there isn't any hidden expense such as import fee's. again just an opion and question not a judgement on anybody's action.
    Maybe 6.5 seeks s a stone or fannin sheep.
    Last I checked the US had no viable population to hunt...Canada is the place.

Default good point

Good point, I don't hunt sheep and wasn't thinking in that area. You gotta go where the critters are!
    I'm a little afraid to start hunting sheep as it seem to be a bit additting. I have to admit I do look at the reg.'s,season dates, places thou. Maybe after I retire I may take a couple of weeks and let the hike begin.

Algonquin

Your point is well taken but hunting other countries and places just adds to the memories we will need to sustain us in our old age when we can no longer hunt.

The US has special rules with Canada but they change regularly regarding ruminants because of mad cow. There were times when it was as simple as showing a Canadian hunting license and a few entries on a single form indicating the animals were taken legally and you could carry them back. This may still work if you are not bringing meat. You will need to check specifically for the time you will be there. It has been back and forth the last few years.

Assuming you will not be hand carrying them then you will probably want a customs broker i.e. coppersmith, fauna and flora, hunter international, etc. It will be EXPENSIVE!!! The parts need to clear customs, USFWS, and USDA. You can do it yourself if you understand the process and make the preparations. I recently paid a broker $900 to clear 1 cape and horns of an Ibex after I hand carried it into JFK. Three small animals from Argentina was $1100. Depending on the animal they may not be able to come directly to you, they may need to go to a USDA approved taxidermist for clearance.

My experience has been that the customs broker fees start around $350-400 for the first animal. Figure on at least $100 for each additional animal. This does not include shipping to the port of entry or shipping from the port to an approved taxidermist, and then the clearing taxidermist will charge $50-$100 per animal to clear if he is not doing the mounting. Extenuating circumstances can bump these fees up significantly as with my ibex.

I took a muskox in Canada and just decided it was cheaper to have it mounted in Yellowknife and shipped. Processed hides avoid the customs broker process.

Here is a couple links with a lot of information if you search around from them.

http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Canadian_Border_Ports.htm

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

Default missing something

I just returned from canada with a bear hide and head and fish. I told US customs that I had been hunting and what I had, guy said that was fine, in fact he was more worried about the pistascios (bad speller) that I had than the bear. I just had the salted hide in a duffel bag and checked it as luggage.

Did you drive across the border or fly? I am guessing that you flew by the sounds of it. That's hard to believe. Everyone else I have talked to has said that it was an expensive nightmare of red tape to get hides, skulls and horns into the US from Canada. Would like to know more...thanks.