Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few and far between on Lil Su

Default Few and far between on Lil Su

In the past week my Dad, brothers and my sons and I have put in many hours on the river. We Put 7 in the fish box out of around 15 chances.

Just this morning my Dad got his third of the week. He left for Las Vegas on a 3PM flight this afternoon.

I got one, HaHa. My Dad got three and my younger brother got three. We could not get any for the kids. We broke a couple off but most were on for three to five seconds at most.

Good thing was that every single one was dime bright with sea lice. They were 18-30 pounds. We lost one big pig and a couple in the upper 20's.

This morning my dad lost one(35 pound tomato) and caught the one and I had two short fast hard hits.

We had a great time as it has been 16 years since my Dad my brother and I had fished together last time.

Todays fish:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Nice fish

What were you using? Are they still way down river or have they started moving up yet?

I was going to go Sunday morning but was too lazy to get out of bed and fish in the rain.

Sounds like a case where the fishing itself was as good as, if not better than, the catching - and that's not a knock on the catching at all! Good for all of you, sounds like you had a grand time.

Nick
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Congrats

Hey RMiller,
    That's neat about your Dad. My buddy and I fished from about 8 til 3pm and didn't get anything. I talked to a guide when we were putting the boat on the trailer and he said he hadn't gotten anything either. Not knowing the river very well, can you share a little bit? We headed down and were anchoring up and backbouncing K-fish. We would move about 400 yds at a time and try again. Do you use that technique? Any advise/help is greatly appreciated. My buddy is here from Dallas and I sure would love to get a king before he has to head home. Thanks and congrats again!

Try a Wiggle wart/Brads Wobbler/ fatfish. Sharpen your hooks to the extreme. I have done well in the past by switching my hooks to Gamakatsu trebles.

The fish are spread throughout the river. We got the last four fish not too far downriver. Upriver is doing well also but I am not learned on the upriver holes.

We got some while anchored but most while backtrolling. I use the motor mostly as I can only handle a couple hours on the oars due to a fried disk in my back.

There are a lot of fish in the river with lockjaw so it is a bit frustrating at times.

your trippin me out man... my dad and i were just talking about putting Gamakatsu treble hooks on for the little su.
    congrtas on your adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    your trippin me out man... my dad and i were just talking about putting Gamakatsu treble hooks on for the little su.
    congrtas on your adventures.
    A friend hooked a nice one last week on the Little Su, and the shiny new Gamakatsu hook actually broke as he was about to land the fish!!!!!!!!

Never seen that one before out of Gamakatsu.

How were the counts on the board over the weekend? Were there hoardes more people fishing there since the Deshka closed?

I've heard there isn't anything being caught anywhere, short of a few here and there. Looks like we're gonna have to buy more chicken. lol

counts have been in the 40's.

the amount of poeple has been steady. Overall I think there are less on the river. But then again the fishing is nothing to get excited about. There are some fish to be caught though which is more than can be said for most every other river.

I bet there will be a few fish to be had at the Parks streams next week though. I have seen in the past were the first weekend was not very good at the Parks streams, then the second weekend is good.

Those numbers are pretty good considering how the season is going......

today was just slow.

The river is very dirty with a lot of debris.

We did not get anything no bites nada.

Default Padded Numbers?????

First, I am not casting acusations...My buddy from Dallas who comes every year fished the Little Su on Monday. There were maybe 20 boat trailers parked, maybe a few more but I think you get the idea. We went down stream. We anchored up and back bounced K-fish for about 30 minutes at a stop, then we would move about 400yds and repeat. We did this all day working our way down stream. We had no luck. Every boat that we passed or passed us we asked "any luck" NOT ONE boat/person indicated (hand language or otherwise) that they had caught a fish. When we left at about 4pm I asked the lady at the gate how many fish had been caught that day and she said 30. I was absolutely blown away by this response. I teased her that she was padding the numbers, but she "assured" me that she wasn't. As we were putting the boat on the trailer, I spoke to a guide and asked how he had done today and he said they hadn't caught anything. He said that he was going to head up stream and try there. There just weren't that many boats on the water on Monday for this to happen in my HMO. Again, I'm not casting acusations, but I just don't buy it. It is the first time that this has ever come into mind for me, has anyone else experienced this? I am fully aware of the economic impact of what this fishing season means to all of the facilities who depend on fishing. So, I'm not trying to start a flaming thread here, so please refrain from responding with the typical negative nilly responses just for the sake of doing so, I'm asking a very legit question here in my opinion. Just don't see how it's possible, (for those of you who want to respond with the negative nilly) maybe I haven't been here long enough, 3 years, been fishing all my life, blah, blah, blah...but would love to hear what you all think...Thanks!

Default Padded both ways

I think for every boat that gets one and says four, there is a boat that gets four and says one.

I know of around 12 that were caught on Monday and that is because a bunch of guides were at the launch when I pulled out too.

We got one of them.

Default Hooks

Just an aside, but you might want to try Owners instead of Gammy's. The treble is about twice as thick, and they are flat out mean. Extremely sharp, holds point very well, and almost impossible to break or straighten. Not cheap, but neither are Gammy's.

In questioning the booth counts, remember there is a ton of river to fish. You may not have spoken to anyone fishing down by tidewater, nor from upriver. 30 fish is not a lot of fish. Thats 10 boats catching 3 fish, or 30 with 1 fish. There are also successful bank anglers. Also, a lot of fish get caught the opening hour. Our shop has been weighing in pretty good numbers of Little Su fish for the derby; the guys I've talked to attribute poor catching more to poor water conditions than few fish.

There are some fish in the river.

I think less than usual but they are not dangerously low.

One of my guide buddies fished the river for 21 days straight and I believe he got 60+ kings out of the water.

The water clarity seems to make a big difference in the catching.

I fished it for the first time last week with a friend in his jet boat. Had a great time 3 hrs on the water and bam
    Attached Images Attached Images

the fishing picked up today yes..... lil su.

Default Baa... baa... baaaaah

Gotta buddy that will be very glad to hear that!

Wonder how many darkies he'll have to sort thru to limit the boat?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Limit the boat....that is funny. I have not yet seen any boat limited out on the Lil Su yet. Three out of four is the best I have seen this year.

My buddy did it today, three to the net and one on the barbeque. Glad to here 40 or more to the doard..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast