Thread: Bear/Predator calling in fall?

Question Bear/Predator calling in fall?

Just looking to gather some opinions/stories/advice on using predator calls primarily for fall black bears. I am going to try it this fall in one coastal area and one interior area and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this. Since I don't know either area very well and baiting is not open I thought searching with a call might help. Any call recommendations? Are electronic calls legal? I looked briefly in the regs but did not see anything on predator calling. What are the chances of drawing wolves/grizzlies/ or anything else? I have remote call with rabbit in distress call on it. What else might work well? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect--it seems like an exciting way to hunt.
    Thanks,
    Greg

I used to predator call black bears in August in Washington and it worked well. Also called in a cougar once.

The key is you need to know you have a bear there in the area and when you start calling you cannot stop or it kills their predator instinct and they just lose interest and start walking around.

You have to call untill they are right on you or in shooting range at least

Get the video by Wayne Carlton "Calling Bears They come to Eat"

It is a great video on it and don't think there is anywhere else with that much information or footage of calling ,,

It does work without a doubt and is a huge adrenaline rush because after non stop squawling and bawling you cannot hear squat but you see the black coming pretty fast at you. .

Question Thanks

I'll look for the video, sounds like it will be very helpful. Anyone else have anything to offer on this?

Default First Time Experiance

I watched a friend use a hand held mouth piece on a lone bear . It was a relaxed bear feeding on grass . The bear was approximately 120 yards away from us . Just as soon as he started giving out distress calls the bear stopped feeding and stared in our direction . I watched as my friend continued non stop . I bet he only called 20 to 30 seconds and the bear charged . It definately triggered a response .

There has been other members inquiring about the affects on calling bears . That was my experiance .

Be careful and be ready, Kevin

Exclamation Be Ready

If you havn't call bears before. Be sure you have everything ready and you gun/bow in hand before you start calling. When they come they are coming RIGHT NOW!!! I made the mistake of not having an arrow knocked and the release on the string the first time I tried calling. It got a little intence real quick. Good luck and have fun. We hunt bears because they're tasty and it keep your heat going.

John

Greg I have been meaning to give it a try myself and also ordered Wayne Carltons dvd with caller from Cabelas as well. For the price you can not beat it and the video is a lot of fun to watch. They do seem to come a runnin in the video.

Good luck and keep us posted on your experiences. Make sure you have another person there to help keep an eye on things or be in a position that nothing can sneak up on your back side!

Default Bear calling

Several years ago we were four wheeling up by Hicks lake. We spotted a large blonde griz on the other side of a large draw. He was digging out either a squrriel or a marmont and had quite an area bug up. I figured that he was a safe distance away so I got out a predator call and started blowing. He did not hasitate one bit, picked up his head turned our direction and started running our way. As long as I worked the call he would keep coming. My wife was not happy with me and we left the area. Bear season was not open.
    Another time we were hunting off the Denali and one evening I started playing with one of our calls. While I could not see them, others in our party told me that I had seven bears all working in my direction. As it was getting ready to get dark I stopped and headed back to camp.
    Yes it does work, but like it has already been posted, BE RERADY for some close fast action.
    Good luck.

A few years ago, there were a couple of MN bow hunters hunting elk here on the Taylor's fork. They stopped for a break, took their day packs off and one guy got his cow call and started cow talking. In a few minutes thye heard crashing brush as a sow and two sub adult cubs were charging them. One guy got bowled over right away as the other guy reached for is day pack for his revolver, but he never got it out of the pack. One guy was only mildly chewed up, but the other guy got mauled pretty good. It was over in a few seconds and the bears went on their way. Last year about thre bow hunters were also mauled while calling elk.

Calls work pretty good, but you can call in a sow with cubs too. Have a plan for when that happens. My plan will be bear spray. I dont think the troopers will be very sympathetic to shooting sow and cubs that you called in, in self defense. Just my guess.

Question Electronic calls are legal, right?

I searched the regs and found that electronic calls are illegal for moose but I assume they are OK for predators? Thanks for the info and stories! I am hoping to use a call with a remote so the bears attention is not focused directly at me? Anyone know what the Black to brown bear ratios are for unit 13a?
    Thanks again everyone and keep the stories coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Calls work pretty good, but you can call in a sow with cubs too. Have a plan for when that happens. My plan will be bear spray. I dont think the troopers will be very sympathetic to shooting sow and cubs that you called in, in self defense. Just my guess.
    I've thought about calling bears too, I have no doubt it would work, but that's the reason I haven't done it yet.

Default calls

Which pred. calls do you use?

Question Calls

I'm planning on using an electronic rabbit in ditress call with a remote so I can keep the call itself up to 50 yards away. I am very open to suggestions as I have not tried this before?

Tried it once, never again without a rifle armed back-up. If you do a mouth call, you better have some good lungs. Truly when the griz comes in, you won't have enough air left to run, squat, climb or do anything. I did this in the summer and it was after watching the video. The problem with the bear spray was the wind. You might start in a cross wind and finish in a head wind. I've since thought of the bear that might be up for Mexican food and decided not to try this stunt again. You see a bear at under one hundred yards in the clear for a shot, stop calling and take the shot. Don't call the sucker in on top of you. If you don't have 360 degree view, don't call. Don't do it at all if you don't have a dependable back-up with you.

I would much rather shoot over bait, and have.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Going to try calling here in WV this year as the bear population has grown to the point where we're having a Sept. bear hunt w/rifle which usually doesn't open til late Nov. Anyways,since most places I'll hunt is THICK with Rhododendron I'm going to use a treestand to get just high enough to get a decent view around me. As I've never been out y'alls way is this not practical up there?

til later

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Which pred. calls do you use?
    I would recomend a single reed diaphram style mouth call. This is what I use for elk cow and calf calls. You can make a vaiety of sounds with it and a great distress call and both hands are free.

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    I'm planning on using an electronic rabbit in ditress call with a remote so I can keep the call itself up to 50 yards away. I am very open to suggestions as I have not tried this before?
    Sounds like a good idea, I believe electronic calls are illegal here.

Default electronic calls

I was under the impression that electronic calls were only illegal for moose hunting. Anyone else know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If you do a mouth call, you better have some good lungs. Truly when the griz comes in, you won't have enough air left to run, squat, climb or do anything.
    My mouth call doesn't take much wind at all.

The problem with the bear spray was the wind.
    That's a good point, but it can still be used effectively into a stiff wind. It will just come back on you and that would suck. It's a calculated risk. I would say chances are less than 1 in 10. And a bear would *probably* position itself to wind you putting the wind in your favor.

Don't call the sucker in on top of you.
    Yep, as soon as you detect a bear, stop calling and start watching and get ready.

If you don't have 360 degree view, don't call.
    Bears can be real sneaky, they are skilled predators.

Don't do it at all if you don't have a dependable back-up with you.
    Very good advice, and if I was married I would definetly follow it, but since I'm not, I will probably solo unless I can find someone who will trek over 15 miles into the wilderness North of YNP.

Default found it

I looked closer in the regs about using electronic calls. Here it is, from page 17:

New! Electronic calls may be used for all game animals except moose.

So calling bears w/ an electronic predator call is OK.