Thread: Eklutna Trailrace

Default Eklutna Trailrace

Fished the trailrace from 11pm till about 1am. Saw one caught and one roll. Talked with several people that saw only about a half a dozen fish roll. Still no sign of kings ANYWHERE!!

Default Tailrace

Just got back 13 YO caught this at Noon today
    Attached Images Attached Images

That fish is well into the spawn.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Tailrace

I was down Sunday I watched a guy catch a foutyfive pounder when we got there at 11Am. He said he was there since 1 am and that was his first bite. I flogged the water for 7 hr. before I got a bite a landed a 35 lbs king it was the only other fish i saw caught I did see quite a few rolling. The fish was turning a bit but still had sea lice on it so it was fresh. If you put in the time you might catch one there

Just a guess on my part, but I would not bet against the guy that said they had been holding in mix water (salt, fresh) for a while They sure don't get that color in the pure salt water.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just a guess on my part, but I would not bet against the guy that said they had been holding in mix water (salt, fresh) for a while They sure don't get that color in the pure salt water.

The fish will turn in the salt the same as in fresh water.

Valdez pinks are one example and Homer spit pond Kings are another.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Deep ck also

heard reports of catching red kings out of deep creek in the salt - it does happen, but after they turn that color - I don't think I'd be kill'n him....that is more than a sunburn!

Default Tailrace

Fish had been in fresh water for while. Had a Vibrax in mouth, eggs were very tight. Some of the fish were bright others not. I was just happy my son caught a fish!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Woo Hoo

Nice Job. It is always a proud moment as a parent when you see your son or daughter land a nice fish. Congrats
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Nice job.

For poeple that do keep reddish kings one of the telltale signs that it is too old is the fish will be thinner and the belly will start to turn black.

I bet the meat on this fish was still nice and orange. The fish is nice and plump and still has some of its silver. The bellie has no black at all.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Update

Fished the Tailrace Thursday Morning from 5am to 10am, saw three landed early and fish rolling but no hookups late..