Thread: Kodiak in August

Default Kodiak in August

Has anyone done an August Deer hunt on Kodiak Island? I am going to be fishing and hunting there in the middle of the month and would appreciate any advice or information on what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear4444 View Post
    Has anyone done an August Deer hunt on Kodiak Island? I am going to be fishing and hunting there in the middle of the month and would appreciate any advice or information on what to expect.
    Bugs, grass and heat. Only way to beat it is to climb high, the same way the deer do. I've shot them bedded in the snow fields on hot days in August. The compensation for your work is the best of the best venison in the world. When those guys are eating flowers in August, I'd throw their meat up alongside Dall sheep, and that's going some in my book.

Default September

I know September (even EARLY) isn't August but it's close. Listen to what Brown Bear said - hunt as high as possible and during the cool parts of the day. The deer will be in full velvet but the big ones will not be thinned out yet and the meat is great.

Use your binoculars/spotting scope a lot. Deer will not be pressured and one of the great things for an easterner is knowing that the deer you see today will still be in the same area tomorrow.

Just take LOTS of bug dope.

I have to do my goat hunt right at opening day on August 20th. We are flying into a high lake. I hope my 12y.o. son and I get some deer also.

Yeah, I'm curious on the deer hunting while hunting goats up high on Kodiak. Anyone?

They're often in the same vicinity, though the deer don't like it quite as rocky. I've had goats spook and take the deer I was after with them, but haven't bothered with the goat hunting. Deer are most often in the high bowls while the goats are on the ridges and rocky faces surrounding the bowls. Should be pretty straight forward to do both, but I'd probably cap your goat before taking time out for the deer.

I'll be on the island bowhunting deer from August 1st to the 10th. I'll let you know how it goes. My only other Kodiak experience was a boat trip in November. Whole different hunt. Ed F

I'm hoping to knock a deer down while goat hunting there in mid-late September this year. I'll be on the south road system. Are the chances of finding a buck in and around goat territory fairly good that time of year?

Jerod,

We lost quite a few deer on the road system during the 2006/2007 winter, and this past winter didn't help the situation any. 2006/2007 was cold for a long time, and we didn't get the typical snow melts in the winter, which kept snow levels deep. This past winter we had quite a bit of snow.

The other challenge in Sept is I seem to find many of the deer have moved down off the alpines and into the alders by then. Makes them harder to find.

So, you may run into some deer on your goat hunt, but lower populations will make your deer sightings less frequent and the alders and high grass remaining will make seeing them harder. Probably wise not to be too terribly picky if you see a decent buck.

Good hunting to you though! Anything can happen, and I do have some friends that saw deer during their South Road System hunts last year.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info!

Default August deer on Kodiak

I've gone in August three times now and am headed back again for a fourth. I've harvested nice bucks each trip including one that just missed the all-time book at 107 2/8. Last year I saw lots of bucks and took a pope and young three point. The weather was hot. Daylight hours are long. Deer are active an hour or two after daylight and an hour or two before dark. Plan on a short night's sleep and taking a nap in the middle of the day if possible. Meat care is difficult since the warm temps and flies are relentless. Have plenty of good game bags, citric acid, and call for a meat pick up as soon as possible or your meat will spoil and you could get cited too. The antlers will be hard except possibly the very tips but they won't lose velvet until after Aug. 20 - 30 in my experience. The hills are a beautiful green and the grass can be chest high. Bears are concentrated near the rivers for the most part but an electric fence is still good insurance and peace of mind.
    Have fun, and good hunting!
    Brian